Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has better food?
Philadelphia 62 68.13%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:23 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times

Advertisements

So these are 2 cities I have spent a lot of time in. I've been in Philadelphia 5 years and counting. And I lived in Atlanta for close to 20 years. Recently after 3 years of never visiting Atlanta, I recently came back for a long visit, and I have to admit the food in Atlanta is amazing. But Philadelphia also has a very good food scene.

Just curious which city do you think has the better food scene?

I feel in terms of Asian Cruisine, Philadelphia has the slight edge. Since it has a much more visible asian population. However I feel Vietnamese food is actually better in Atlanta, since it has a bigger Vietnamese population.

Philly has better pizza and cheesesteaks (no surprise). But I feel Atlanta has way better wings. In terms of burgers I feel Atlanta also has a slight edge. Atlanta absolutely crushes Philly in Mexican food. It's not even close.

With that said, what Philly does have it has in good variety. There are many types of cheese steaks. Many types of pizza. Many types of asian food.

But what are your thoughts? Which city has the better food scene?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:20 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Philly has really good Mexican food, though. And Philly's Mexican population is growing rapidly so I expect it to get even better.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:06 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Philly has really good Mexican food, though. And Philly's Mexican population is growing rapidly so I expect it to get even better.

I haven't been impressed with Philly's mexican food. On the other hand Atlanta has so many great mexican chains like El Azteca or Chuy's. And while Philadelphia has a growing Mexican population, Atlanta mexican population is much larger.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:13 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
I really shouldn't have casted a vote, for I'm completely unfamiliar with Atlanta's culinary scene, but I voted for Philly anyway (and tied the vote count when I did).

Atlanta is definitely a world city now, but I still wonder whether one could find Mongolian, Afghan, Cambodian, Russian, West African (Senegalese, Liberian) or Filipino restaurants there. I can find examples of all of the foregoing in Philly.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM

17,164 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I really shouldn't have casted a vote, for I'm completely unfamiliar with Atlanta's culinary scene, but I voted for Philly anyway (and tied the vote count when I did).

Atlanta is definitely a world city now, but I still wonder whether one could find Mongolian, Afghan, Cambodian, Russian, West African (Senegalese, Liberian) or Filipino restaurants there. I can find examples of all of the foregoing in Philly.
While I haven't explored extensively, I can tell you I am surprised with each visit to Atlanta by how much of an array of [especially] Indian and Middle Eastern places there are.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I haven't been impressed with Philly's mexican food. On the other hand Atlanta has so many great mexican chains like El Azteca or Chuy's. And while Philadelphia has a growing Mexican population, Atlanta mexican population is much larger.
Chuy's is nasty.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:

Have you been to South Philly Barbacoa? It's the best Mexican I've had in the US outside of Tucson, AZ.

I personally think Philly's strength is in its breadth of options and the 'hoods where you can find amass of cuisines (Chinatown, Italian Market, etc).

Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
oooh

Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
If you’re boasting about a chain, that’s a bad sign. If the chain is Chuy’s, just stop.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
I wish Chi Chis were still around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City