Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 PM

105 posts, read 94,636 times

Advertisements

Uh, in terms of relative population increase it's not significantly ahead. Since 2010, Minneapolis' metro population has grown by 8.37%.

Smaller metros like Des Moines have grown 15.06%, Madison 9.08%, and Grand rapids at 8.14%. Larger metros have also grown similarly with Indianapolis at 8.52% and Columbus at 10.76%.

Even outside of relative terms, Indianapolis and Columbus are still pretty close. Why has Minneapolis been able to stay competitive relative to others? I'd say a combination of young population, progressive policies, low crime, and growing tech / financial industries. Minneapolis also wasn't as much of a factory-based economy so they didn't have to deal with its decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
I think one factor is the markedly lower out-migration of black people compared to most Midwestern cities. Even with its hefty property taxes, terrible business climate, and falling immigration, Chicago would be growing right now if it weren't for the torrent of black people leaving every day. I know Minneapolis has taken steps to build affordable housing around the city and integrate neighborhoods, and I'd imagine that the lack of concentrated, desolate poverty lowers violent crime rates, which predominately affect blacks. I think Minneapolis may even be gaining black residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Net International Migration
Chicago MSA: +25,200 people
Detroit MSA: +12,280 people
Minneapolis: +8170 people
Columbus, OH MSA: +6597 people
Cleveland MSA: +5113 people
St. Louis MSA: +4242 people
Milwaukee MSA: +3664 people
Cincinnati MSA: +3590 people
Kansas City MSA: +1997 people
A bit off topic but out of curiosity, is there anywhere in the country with net negative international migration? Probably some sparsely populated counties near the Canadian border are like this just because statistics can be weird in small populations.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:44 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
It's also argubly the most progressive of all the Midwesterner metros going back to the Scandinavian roots. It wasn't as rust belt as many other large Midwestern cities.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I think one factor is the markedly lower out-migration of black people compared to most Midwestern cities. Even with its hefty property taxes, terrible business climate, and falling immigration, Chicago would be growing right now if it weren't for the torrent of black people leaving every day. I know Minneapolis has taken steps to build affordable housing around the city and integrate neighborhoods, and I'd imagine that the lack of concentrated, desolate poverty lowers violent crime rates, which predominately affect blacks. I think Minneapolis may even be gaining black residents.

A bit off topic but out of curiosity, is there anywhere in the country with net negative international migration? Probably some sparsely populated counties near the Canadian border are like this just because statistics can be weird in small populations.
Also Minneapolis is the go to for many people of east African origin meaning technically they're probably growing in "black" population on paper as well.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:36 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Ever been there? Quality of life and economy. It's a very active, very health conscious metropolitan area that works together as a region to build high quality transit, recreation and culture. They have a large well connected airport, two vibrant urban cores and nice suburbs not to mention a very large urban university.

Regardless of the cold weather, it's one of my personal favorite cities (top five in country) and I would live there in a heartbeat. For the record, the cold weather hardly slows anybody down there. A large amount of people continue to bike to work during the winter there.
Minneapolis also has the best park system in the U.S. Basically sets the gold standard for major American cities.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Minneapolis also has the best park system in the U.S. Basically sets the gold standard for major American cities.
That's probably not the reason. Influx of Black people, high birth rate, and people moving in from the countryside of Minnesota. Minnesota covers a lot of square miles, and if you look at statistics, most of the population is centered in the large MSA of the only large city in the state.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I’ve never even been to Minnesota and have always thought of Minneapolis/St. Paul as being one of the nation’s premier large metropolitan areas.

In 2009-2010 as I was planning my relocation out of the DC Metro Area I ended up torn between Pittsburgh and St. Paul. I chose Pittsburgh because I can’t handle long brutal winters. Otherwise I’d be living somewhere near Summit Avenue right now in St. Paul.

The metro area overall seems safe, healthy, vibrant, and seems to have a good earnings-to-cost-of-living ratio (especially compared to Pittsburgh where many of us pay $1,000/month+ in rent while earning <$50,000 salaries because our employers suck.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
It certainly hasn’t always been this way.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:28 AM

121 posts, read 96,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChicago View Post
Uh, in terms of relative population increase it's not significantly ahead. Since 2010, Minneapolis' metro population has grown by 8.37%.

Smaller metros like Des Moines have grown 15.06%, Madison 9.08%, and Grand rapids at 8.14%. Larger metros have also grown similarly with Indianapolis at 8.52% and Columbus at 10.76%.

Even outside of relative terms, Indianapolis and Columbus are still pretty close. Why has Minneapolis been able to stay competitive relative to others? I'd say a combination of young population, progressive policies, low crime, and growing tech / financial industries. Minneapolis also wasn't as much of a factory-based economy so they didn't have to deal with its decline.

I don't care about growth by percentage. I clearly said overall population gains.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:41 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
Percentage matters.

Last edited by JoeP; 04-20-2019 at 07:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City