Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 05:45 PM

11 posts, read 19,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Short-term: Houston
Long-term: Atlanta
This is what I was thinking. Houston seems like a good choice now due to Harvey but think Atlanta will be better long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
As a fellow multi-family investor it's really gonna come down to where in each city you're looking to invest and how many units each property contains. Are you talking about duplexes or entire communities?

My pick would be Atlanta, but that's only because I lived there and understand a lot more of that city. With Houston you have to take weather events like hurricanes and flooding into account since it's right near the ocean. Property taxes in Texas are higher as well.
My preference is fourplexes. Your thoughts on Cobb County? Any other suggestions?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If you’re looking to make money, Houston. The market hasn’t quite recovered from Harvey where as Dallas and Atlanta are the highest they’ve been.
This is my dilemma.... but have a feeling that Atlanta will be better long term.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 PM

8,326 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pytla View Post
This is my dilemma.... but have a feeling that Atlanta will be better long term.
It depends on the investing.

If you’re looking to make a lot of money quickly, Houston.

If you’re looking to park your money and have it appreciate over years but in a more stable environment, Atlanta.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Atlanta. Property taxes seem high in Texas. Plus, the weather is way worse in Houston. Plus, hurricanes. Houston incomes are higher but I’m not sure that necessarily translates into higher home values, all things including taxes considered.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:46 PM

6,290 posts, read 7,496,381 times
If you look at the Census estimates Houston has more people moving to it and only about a 4 month supply of housing inventory. Inside the loop is the preferred market , some of the more outlying sub-markets are losing value. Look for something in the Heights , or nearby up and coming neighborhoods there abouts…….

Old 05-09-2019, 10:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Atlanta is a better investment.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:11 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
A lot of people are talking about factors that tend to be reflected in the purchase price, like property taxes, and can easily be a wash overall. It's still relevant to for reasons such as cash flow of course.

In a quick look, nobody has mentioned the ease of development...the enemy of real estate investors for obvious reasons. A place where development will get increasingly harder and more expensive, but that's still growing, will tend to be a better investment. Commercial real estate professionals call the difficulty of new supply "barriers to entry."

Likewise, it's generally good to invest in a neighborhood that's just starting to move upward but mostly hasn't yet. Likewise, a place with bad traffic might value proximity more (see highrise booms in traffic-choked cities).

Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,914,958 times
My vote is for ATL

Regional powerhouse that will continue to be a draw for an entire region. With the low COL, higher than average wages, and faster growing technology sector (which has continued to prove the most substantial factor is economic growth/disparity of MSAs), I think ATL has a chance to be one of the best long term investments in the States. Local/higher education should factor in, but I know less about the two choices on this front. I do know, though, that Georgia Tech, Emory, and UGA are a good set of schools considered to be in ATLs MSA boundaries.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:11 AM

12,828 posts, read 9,547,378 times
I'm amazed at the nice houses you can get in both places at such a low price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City