Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with the Best National Reputation in your Eyes
Oklahoma City 8 6.72%
Pittsburgh 78 65.55%
Birmingham 1 0.84%
Memphis 4 3.36%
St Louis 1 0.84%
Detroit 15 12.61%
Cleveland 4 3.36%
Buffalo 0 0%
Baltimore 0 0%
Tulsa 6 5.04%
Little Rock 2 1.68%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 01:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times

Advertisements

3 votes on a CD Poll? Memphis? Wow Memphis Breakin Records Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 01:19 PM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Pitt.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:10 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
I'm not much drawn to the area myself and the central city has significant crime and blight issues, but statistically Baltimore is a highly educated and affluent metro, more so than any other on the list. The inclusion of Howard and Anne Arundel counties in the metro definition is certainly a major reason for this. Howard County has significant influence from the Washington DC metro area but commuting patterns align it better with Baltimore - and Howard is one of the most consistently upscale counties in the nation. Anne Arundel's affluent areas likewise tend to be situated a bit further from Baltimore city and are to some extent within the DC sphere of influence as well.

But strictly in terms of city reputations across the nation, I fully agree with Pittsburgh taking the lead. It's a city that excels in terms of urban amenities with a much healthier core than others across the "Rust Belt". Unlike Baltimore, the central parts of the metro area tend to be in better shape than the outlying sections, and Pittsburgh is certainly not overshadowed by a stronger city within its immediate vicinity.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,440,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Based on the list given: Pittsburgh for sure.

OKC is given a bad rap because it's the largest city in a highly red state. Oklahoma is the butt of many stereotypical jokes.

Tulsa has a better rep than OKC as it is more "hip" but the problem is that it's in Oklahoma so it will still been viewed in that light.

Cleveland, Memphis, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Birmingham are a nice punching bag on both declining industries, crime, racial issues. There are certainly perks to each of these cities but unfortunately, the media paints them as these declining crime ridden cities.

Little Rock is just Little Rock. It is definitely spending "little" time in the media and people's minds. I don't think it really has a reputation per se as it's just there.

Pittsburgh from a reputation perspective tops this list easily. It may be known for a declining industry but I think it's shown in a favorable light overall compared to the other cities.
Yep, the media loves to paint cities that are beyond the Coasts in the most unfavorable light because a lot of your major networks, blogs and newspapers are run by Coastal elites or progressives. Plus, society at large picks on certain cities because it's easier to do or they want to put that city down to hype up their city. Also, when people don't research cities for themselves all they have is the media's version of those cities. And whether positive or negative, people love their stereotypes about cities and/or regions, some even cling to them.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-10-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 08:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
I voted for Memphis, because of its contributions to American pop culture.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Yep, the media loves to paint cities that are beyond the Coasts in the most unfavorable light because a lot of your major networks, blogs and newspapers are run by Coastal elites or progressives. Plus, society at large picks on certain cities because it's easier to do or they want to put that city down to hype up their city. Also, when people don't research cities for themselves all they have is the media's version of those cities. And whether positive or negative, people love their stereotypes about cities and/or regions, some even cling to them.
It helps them sleep at night.
"My life might suck in the stressful, big city but at least I get to live here instead of your dump" is what a lot of bashers are really saying. Joke is on a lot of them; If they don't buy quickly, eventually they'll be priced out and have to live in some "dumpy, uncool" city

In general, happy people don't resort to sophomoric city bashing.

As for the media: negativity sells!
it helps to perpetuate old stereotypes. As long as people keep clicking those same articles(x city is poor, x city is polluted), they'll keep writing them.
Those articles have basically turned into accepted clckbait.

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 05-12-2019 at 12:17 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Based on the list given: Pittsburgh for sure.

OKC is given a bad rap because it's the largest city in a highly red state. Oklahoma is the butt of many stereotypical jokes.

Tulsa has a better rep than OKC as it is more "hip" but the problem is that it's in Oklahoma so it will still been viewed in that light.

Cleveland, Memphis, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Birmingham are a nice punching bag on both declining industries, crime, racial issues. There are certainly perks to each of these cities but unfortunately, the media paints them as these declining crime ridden cities.

Little Rock is just Little Rock. It is definitely spending "little" time in the media and people's minds. I don't think it really has a reputation per se as it's just there.

Pittsburgh from a reputation perspective tops this list easily. It may be known for a declining industry but I think it's shown in a favorable light overall compared to the other cities.
New Orleans, Atlanta, Charleston SC and Savannah are all located in very Red states. Texas is also a very red state. Yet they don't have this "issue". NOt that REd is bad, I'm glad I live in a conservative state again.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:13 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRaRyan View Post
I live in OKC but would put Pittsburgh above it. After that there are few places on this list I would even consider choosing above OKC. For all the reasons you stated (economy, cost of living, surprising amenities, rapid growth, no traffic, etc.).

When it comes to politics, OKC has actually voted blue in the last 4 elections (presidential, governor, congressional reps, city council). OKC (along with Norman, which is included in the metro) was the only city in the state to vote for a Democrat governor, a Democrat congresswoman, and 2 new, young, and progressive city council members who look to focus on improving the city’s public transit, bike lanes, beautification, urban fabric, walkability, mental health institutions, homelessness, and education. The political argument against OKC is growing thinner by the year. It is exactly like all other large metros, growing more and more progressive in its attitudes and policies. There aren’t people pushing conservative or religious views on anyone. The vibe is very live-and-let-live.
Which then makes OKC typical of large cities in red states. Norman, being a college town, ditto.

I still maintain that (the Electoral College notwithstanding) the real political divide in this country is not red state/blue state but urban/rural, with the suburbs the battleground where the fighting takes place. There, there is a coastal/interior distinction, however: with some exceptions (Chicago, the Twin Cities, Denver, maybe St. Louis), the suburbs of the large cities of the interior skew conservative while those of the coastal metropolises, which once did the same, now skew liberal or "third way" (socially liberal, fiscally conservative types of either party do well in them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City