Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with the Best National Reputation in your Eyes
Oklahoma City 8 6.72%
Pittsburgh 78 65.55%
Birmingham 1 0.84%
Memphis 4 3.36%
St Louis 1 0.84%
Detroit 15 12.61%
Cleveland 4 3.36%
Buffalo 0 0%
Baltimore 0 0%
Tulsa 6 5.04%
Little Rock 2 1.68%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 08:23 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times

Advertisements

Which of these Cities have The Best Reputation,Most Highly talked about and is the Most Revered of these Cities

-Best Reputation
-Most Positive News About
- Most Highly Regarded of the Bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:46 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Of the cities listed in the poll, I don't hardly hear too much bad about Oklahoma City. It seems like it's quietly and steadily growing into an up and coming major metro area, currently about the size of Memphis and Louisville.

Except for Tulsa and Little Rock, the others are old time rough Rust Belt cities.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Wow the first poll that I can’t vote any of them.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Wow the first poll that I can’t vote any of them.
Why don't you just vote Buffalo

Old 05-07-2019, 09:07 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Out of these, probably Pittsburgh.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:16 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
I know it isn't the question, and I didn't vote for it, but Detroit by a landslide on CD. Detroit's supposed renaissance gets mentioned in the media as well, but I think that is balanced by the negative press and continued negative perception by people.

In real life and in the media, I have heard people badmouth Baltimore, Buffalo, Detroit, Memphis, Oklahoma City, and St Louis, while I have heard people say good things about all of the cities on the poll. Birmingham, Little Rock, and Tulsa I have also heard people badmouth but it has had more to do with the states they are located in than the cities themselves. So I guess the winners are Pittsburgh and Cleveland? Going to vote for Pittsburgh, since I feel like I hear about it a little more.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:25 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Of the cities listed in the poll, I don't hardly hear too much bad about Oklahoma City. It seems like it's quietly and steadily growing into an up and coming major metro area, currently about the size of Memphis and Louisville.

Except for Tulsa and Little Rock, the others are old time rough Rust Belt cities.
Meth fiends everywhere from what I've heard. Never been there though.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:44 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
In terms of national media: Tulsa, in terms of CD criteria: Pittsburgh. CD seems to really like Pittsburgh, I think it's currently beating Minneapolis in a poll.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:55 PM

3,575 posts, read 3,074,173 times
In general, perception often differs from reality, especially cities that most people will never travel to and hear little about unless it is negative in some way. I think of the bunch Pittsburgh is about the only one that manages to be spoken of, when spoken of at all, more positively than negatively, but, always with a caveat attached ("former Rust Belt..." "despite population loss..." "despite being among the cloudiest cities..." etc).

So, I voted Pittsburgh.

Little Rock and Tulsa I think are the only 2 that don't have much of a negative association attached, but they also don't have much positive associations (or anything, really) being generated either.

All of the other cities have reputations (rust! crime! snow! sprawl! The South!) that mask other attributes that also make those cities great in their own ways.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:05 PM

264 posts, read 250,183 times
Based on the list given: Pittsburgh for sure.

OKC is given a bad rap because it's the largest city in a highly red state. Oklahoma is the butt of many stereotypical jokes.

Tulsa has a better rep than OKC as it is more "hip" but the problem is that it's in Oklahoma so it will still been viewed in that light.

Cleveland, Memphis, St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Birmingham are a nice punching bag on both declining industries, crime, racial issues. There are certainly perks to each of these cities but unfortunately, the media paints them as these declining crime ridden cities.

Little Rock is just Little Rock. It is definitely spending "little" time in the media and people's minds. I don't think it really has a reputation per se as it's just there.

Pittsburgh from a reputation perspective tops this list easily. It may be known for a declining industry but I think it's shown in a favorable light overall compared to the other cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City