Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Arkansas vs Iowa
Arkansas 26 38.81%
Iowa 41 61.19%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:33 PM

3,150 posts, read 2,205,379 times

Advertisements

Iowa has a relative lack of impoverished areas compared to most states, and certainly versus Arkansas. The southern and eastern parts of Arkansas, except for a few relatively prosperous towns like Jonesboro, are in very bad shape economically. However, the scenery in northern and western Arkansas, all the way into Little Rock is very picturesque and much more conducive to outdoor activities than just about any part of Iowa, which is reinforced by the milder climate.

I would have to say Iowa is the more successful state, just based on their much better socioeconomic status. Iowa seems to have very strong social capital in terms of residents taking pride in their communities and helping out their neighbors. They are also inevitably going to get a lot of attention from political campaigns, with their first in the nation caucuses and typically competitive general elections - which is decidedly not true of ultra-red Arkansas. It looks like a fine place to live aside from the climate but unfortunately a lot of Americans, myself included, have little tolerance for harsh winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 12:46 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,786 times
Arkansas. Both are good places but at this point in my life I think I prefer scenery and privacy, like “in the woods lots of trees” privacy over anything else.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:01 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Arkansas. Both are good places but at this point in my life I think I prefer scenery and privacy, like “in the woods lots of trees” privacy over anything else.
Yeah. Arkansas definitely has more of that. Iowa isn't all corn fields but it doesn't have the same "wilderness" factor Arkansas has.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:34 AM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,277 times
I can only speak for Arkansas and what little I know about Iowa. Arkansas has some of the ugliest areas I’ve ever seen in the southeast along with some of the most scenic, uncrowded areas (especially for the middle of the country) in the Northwest part of the state. Buffalo National River is a gem. Little Rock is a decent city, nothing great, sleepy economy but easy place to live. Northwest Arkansas is the growth engine of the state, with the best economy and closest to the scenery. It also has a cooler climate than Little Rock which can have brutal summers.

Des Moines has a stronger economy, is growing faster and doesn’t seem to have the problems that Little Rock has. Also seems to have more big city amenities than the Northwest Arkansas metro. On a national stage Iowa gets more recognition. If I had to choose a place to live in these states it would be between Northwest Arkansas and Des Moines, I could probably live happily in either place. I would choose Arkansas simply because of the outdoors.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Phil P, eddie gein, and Turnerbro: I'm from Arkansas, born and raised, lived in many other places though, so perhaps I'm just jaded. Arkansas is bottom 5-10 in nearly every category imaginable, and for good reason.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Phil P, eddie gein, and Turnerbro: I'm from Arkansas, born and raised, lived in many other places though, so perhaps I'm just jaded. Arkansas is bottom 5-10 in nearly every category imaginable, and for good reason.
In what statistics? I know it's considered by many to be poor and have a high obesity rate, but not all of the state is like that. Scenery is a big factor for me. Arkansas destroys Iowa in that category. Weather is also fairly important. IMO Arkansas has better weather. Winters are much colder in Iowa. It can also get quite toasty in Iowa in the Summer. Sometimes it can actually be cooler in Northern Arkansas than Des Moines in the Summer.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:16 PM

195 posts, read 195,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In what statistics? I know it's considered by many to be poor and have a high obesity rate, but not all of the state is like that. Scenery is a big factor for me. Arkansas destroys Iowa in that category. Weather is also fairly important. IMO Arkansas has better weather. Winters are much colder in Iowa. It can also get quite toasty in Iowa in the Summer. Sometimes it can actually be cooler in Northern Arkansas than Des Moines in the Summer.
Statistics are B.S

Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Iowa in a landslide. Nicer cities, less abject poverty, better education, more common sense people. I know some may think Iowa is nothing but cornfields, but there actually are some very scenic areas.

Half of Arkansas is the Duggar family. I'll pass.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Many statistics concerning health, obesity, crime, drug abuse, wages, education, health, teen pregnancy, teen smoking, divorce rates, etc.
Look them up if you want. I lived it and grew up in it. Since I've lived in six other states, I tend to believe every stat and study that shows Arkansas ranking towards the bottom of many studies you'd want to rank highly for.
It's a cultural mess.
NWA is an overrated bubble where people seem to think those stats are generated by a couple of bad areas in the Delta region, but I know otherwise from experience and... stats can back that up.
Not every part of every city is bad. They all have their good traits, even in the Delta, but the problems often outweigh the good.
I'd take Iowa based on all that alone.

Last edited by sub; 05-14-2019 at 06:05 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 05:59 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Iowa in a landslide. Nicer cities, less abject poverty, better education, more common sense people. I know some may think Iowa is nothing but cornfields, but there actually are some very scenic areas.

Half of Arkansas is the Duggar family. I'll pass.
I agree except for the Dugger part.
If half of Arkansas were like the Duggers, that might be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City