Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Who says the family of five didn't spend their entire existence in a non-walkable neighborhood? And if they did live in a neighborhood with good transit, who says they ever used it? Who says they didnt want to move to a fringe neighborhood or a suburb? I would actually think a family of five would actually more likely have been living in say Beechview or Sheradan in a SFH with a small city yard rather than in a Bloomfield with a concrete stoop. Also, why shouldnt the tech bro get a walkable neighborhood?

Also, again, evidence is that its not families of five that are leaving but rather dead grandma's are being removed. The headline for the population decline in Pittsburgh can be summed up by realizing (and accepting it as truth) that old people die.
Why should the tech bro get a walkable neighborhood at the expense of a non-tech bro? Oh, I forgot. Capitalism and junk. That's fine. When a tech bro prices us out to a non-walkable/non-transit-friendly neighborhood we'll just demand our new neighborhood becomes walkable and transit-friendly and will lobby our new city councilor to increase density to make that a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why should the tech bro get a walkable neighborhood at the expense of a non-tech bro? Oh, I forgot. Capitalism and junk. That's fine. When a tech bro prices us out to a non-walkable/non-transit-friendly neighborhood we'll just demand our new neighborhood becomes walkable and transit-friendly and will lobby our new city councilor to increase density to make that a reality.
Tech bro moves to non-walkable area with no transit, drives to work, complaints about traffic ensue. Tech bro moves to walkable area, complaints about displacement ensue. Where exactly do you want this tech bro to live because it seems like no matter where he lives there are some people would have a problem with it.

Either way this has nothing to do with population loss in Pittsburgh, because the MSA dropped more than the city, so I am assuming this mythical family of 5 moved completely away from the Pittsburgh area not just out to the suburbs. Or the population dropped because a bunch of old people died and not enough babies were born. Perhaps the real answer is that we need to figure out a way to get septuagenarian women to 1. stay alive and 2. have babies.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Nashville is booming, but folks are hyping it up to Atlanta’s 80s and 90s type growth and it’s just not the case. Nashville might gain another 700k-1,000,000 and then another city will replace it as the go to city in The Southeast. Orlando (although already bigger than Nashville) already seems to be that place. Not to mention Charlotte is keeping Nashville under its thumb. The whole region is growing. It’s quite beautiful TBH.
I love Nashville and Atlanta. Two great cities. Although I am more partial to Nashville.

Quote:
Does Pittsburgh have a sub forum? That would be the place for this arguing. Sorry your city has a lot of issues and declined the last 70 years. We are trying to highlight the growth areas on this thread.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:32 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussLite View Post
I love Nashville and Atlanta. Two great cities. Although I am more partial to Nashville.

Does Pittsburgh have a sub forum? That would be the place for this arguing. Sorry your city has a lot of issues and declined the last 70 years. We are trying to highlight the growth areas on this thread.
The thread is not about growth areas only its about population estimate predictions and discussions. Also your very first post after signing up today was about Erie LOSING population, so slow your roll RussLite.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,681 times
Fastest growth areas in the south and west.

Thoughts on Henderson nevada? I personally love the city and where I’d live in Nevada.

How about the growth in Columbus Ohio? The only city not in the south or west near the top.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...id-growth.html

Old 05-23-2019, 12:49 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussLite View Post

This thread is about population trends. Not just cities with growth or high growth. Please take note.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Quote:
So the tech bros should get to live in the walkable neighborhoods with great transit while the displaced families live in non-walkable neighborhoods with meager transit? Are we to assume that more families being displaced to the non-walkable neighborhoods with meager transit will, in, turn, also eventually make those neighborhoods walkable with better transit?
I am a tech bro who lives in a walkable working-class neighborhood and make almost 3 times the median household income of my census tract, so I am assuredly contributing to gentrification. I do feel guilt about this, but whether people like me should "get" to live in neighborhoods like this is a moot point - there is no legal way for landlords to discriminate against newcomers like me, and they have no financial incentive to.

What we really need to be doing is pushing for designated affordable housing and eliminating as much SFH zoning as we can, to make the units in walkable, close-in neighborhoods less exclusive. A living wage is also a necessity.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:08 PM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
Yes, Cleveland.com is my first stop on Census release days. They also have literally every city in Ohio.

I find it hard to believe Columbus grew by only 13,363 (Edit. Apparently they revised last year's up so they think Columbus grew by only 10,770 this year. LOL!). My guess is it's because building permits were a bit lower than previous years. They also under counted the metro this year so this isn't really a surprise.

Also not a surprise is the top 25 of Ohio.

Since 2010 only 7 of them have grown.

Columbus, Newark, and Dublin in the Columbus MSA.

Cincinnati and Middletown in the Cincinnati MSA.

Beavercreek in Dayton.

And Strongsville (+only 103) in Cleveland.

Also, 4 Columbus suburbs may enter the top 25 by the 2020 census. There's already Dublin and Newark. Grove City, Lancaster, Westerville, and Delaware will probably surpass the ones in front of them in the coming few years. Of course Newark, Lancaster, and Delaware are more satellite cities than suburbs.
Mentor (+98) should also be on that list for Cleveland.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:44 PM

212 posts, read 198,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
Mentor (+98) should also be on that list for Cleveland.
Yep! I either missed that or Cleveland.com had a snafu on their chart that they've corrected. It's +114 actually.

Old 05-23-2019, 01:53 PM

994 posts, read 779,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
We will see tomorrow, but you will be way off on your guess for Cleveland. While I'm cautiously optimistic about showing a gain, I'm expecting another loss, but it won't be as much as you think. The range is more like a gain of a couple of hundred on the high end or a loss of about 1,700 on the low end.

My guess on the estimates are going to ultimately show:

Cleveland: -1,000
Pittsburgh: -350
Detroit: -1,800
I was close and it looks like CB did readjust the 2016 and 2017 numbers.

The new estimated totals from 2017 to 2018 is:

Cleveland: -1,635
Pittsburgh: -672
Detroit: -1,526

Detroit's gain of 274 from 2016 to 2017 now was wiped out and it is showing a loss of 2,695... Though the 2015 to 2016 loss which was over 4,000 was taken down to 2,400. Overall, looks like Detroit's losses have been smoothed across the board going back to 2012.

Cleveland's loss of -258 from 2017 to 2018 now is a loss of 2,280, and it's loss of 2,200 from 2016 to 2017 is now 1,500. It's conceivable that Cleveland lost that many people over those two years, but I have a hard time imagining that the losses were higher in 2017 compared to 2016. If anything, those numbers should be flipped.

Pittsburgh doesn't make any sense. It's 2016 to 2017 population was revised to show a one-year loss of 3,094 (was previously -1,210). However, the 2015 to 2016 numbers were revised to show a gain of 603 (was previously a loss of 761). So, adding it up, there isn't that huge of a difference two-year total between the old and new numbers, but I doubt the swing was that drastic and it will probably be smoothed out kind of like Detroit was.

But that's why these are just estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City