Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:17 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I'm talking about cities where less than half of the population is of African American descent... These cities ~40% of city proper is foreign born. In metro Boston 38% of the black population is foreign born.

Neither Dallas or the DMV is on that level.
Then Minneapolis should be included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 08:46 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Then Minneapolis should be included.
Sure, but almost all the blacks in Minneapolis are Somalia or African American. No west indians and minimal Africans of any other origin.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I don't know exact numbers, but for a smaller cities:

Schenectady, NY - Decent size Guyanese population (are they considered black?), Black Puerto Ricans, African-Americans.
Providence, RI - I believe there's many Cape Verdeans here. Black Puerto Ricans as well.
Yea any city I. MaSsachusetts Rhode Island and CT would follow similar patterns to Boston/NYC. ALTHOUGH Southern CT and Upstate NY are a little more African american. Especially Upstate

Providence and Worcester are prolly the most diverse black population of any large citt as the vast majority of blacks are not African American there. Mainly Ghanaian Liberian cape Verdean Haitian mixed race and nigerian. Small Jamaican and Black American populations (e.g., Viola Davis and Ed Cooley)

Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Sure, but almost all the blacks in Minneapolis are Somalia or African American. No west indians and minimal Africans of any other origin.
Ethiopia, Eritrea, and Kenya have a huge presence in Minneapolis.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:04 AM

1,168 posts, read 776,357 times
I don't know what the stats say, but my vote goes to Atlanta. When I lived there I regularly came into contact with West Africans, East Africans, West Indians, Afro-Latinos and of course the many Americans from across the country. I also met my first black Briton while there. The entire metro is one of the true crossroads for the entire diaspora.

I'm not sure why Miami is considered such a strong contender. Literally every black person I've met within the past year has either been from the U.S. or the Caribbean. It doesn't feel all that diverse at all.

Diversity is about having variety, not simply having a large part of the population that is foreign born.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,567 times
I'd like to see the raw numbers as well, not just percentages to put all the comparisons in perspective. Some cities don't have a large population of American born blacks to begin with (relative to the others) so the percentage of immigrant blacks would be higher for those cities because they lack that base element. It doesn't mean those cities are more diverse and have more foreign born blacks though. Cities like Atlanta/DC, Houston, Dallas may have a lower percentage of foreign born blacks because they already had a lot of American born blacks to begin with. That doesn't take away from the large Afro Caribbean and African populations that are contained in those metro areas though. I'd bet in raw numbers they all still have a pretty significant number. Minneapolis has a small American black born population relatively, but a large Somalian/African population. Houston, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, New York all have over a million blacks including large populations of immigrant blacks. While Minneapolis and Boston may a large percentage of immigrant blacks, they both have less than 400K blacks in their metro areas. In raw numbers Houston, Atlanta, DC, New York and probably Miami likely dwarf Minneapolis and Boston in the number of blacks from different areas. The contenders are probably NYC, DC, Atlanta and Houston

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 05-20-2019 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-20-2019, 09:29 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
NYC is the obvious answer.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I'd like to see the raw numbers as well, not just percentages to put all the comparisons in perspective. Some cities don't have a large population of American born blacks to begin with (relative to the others) so the percentage of immigrant blacks would be higher for those cities because they lack that base element. It doesn't mean those cities are more diverse and have more foreign born blacks though. Cities like Atlanta/DC, Houston, Dallas may have a lower percentage of foreign born blacks because they already had a lot of American born blacks to begin with. That doesn't take away from the large Afro Caribbean and African populations that are contained in those metro areas though. I'd bet in raw numbers they all still have a pretty significant number. Minneapolis has a small American black born population relatively, but a large Somalian/African population. Houston, Dallas, DC, Atlanta, New York all have over a million blacks including large populations of immigrant blacks. While Minneapolis and Boston may a large percentage of immigrant blacks, they both have less than 400K blacks in their metro areas. In raw numbers Houston, Atlanta, DC, New York and probably Miami likely dwarf Minneapolis and Boston in the number of blacks from different areas. The contenders are probably NYC, DC, Atlanta and Houston
OK but that's not what's being asked. 400k black people is a lot of black people. That's more than most metro areas. We just went over the fact that NYC has a smaller share of American born blacks than Boston. Boston has more black people Than literally 99.9%\ of municipalities in the United States. So does Minneapolis.

Why do balck people restrict all conversations of blackness to a dozen cities? It's not interesting and more importantly it not accurate. It doesn't make sense. ATL HOU NYC LA DAL MIA CHI PHI DC (occasionally DET and the Bay) are damn near the only cities black people mention. White people don't do this. We're going to forge the accuracyy and facts in favor of a predominate narrative and that makes no sense.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
1 NYC
2 Miami
3 Boston

No one else comes remotely close to these three. No, not the dmv or Houston. Not at all. Thread closed.
The African population/ diversity of DC CRUSHES Miami and swallows up Boston pretty easily also. North/East/West or any other sub-Saharan African nations represented in Miami and Boston are VERY low.

Neither can compete with NYC or DMV at all when it comes to the African continent they are top two with a wide gap. Boston really just touts the Cape Verdean populace, but that is such a small nation and really doesn't make the radar in most peoples eyes.

Miami and Boston have more Caribbean black diversity, but Boston also is low on AA blacks and primarily relies on it's Caribbean black diversity. DC is more balanced with AA's, WAY more Africans, and still a sizable Caribbean black populace.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 AM

Boston proper doesn't have many Africans. But DC proper had like no bla k diversity. The suburbs of Maryland do. Cities in MA like Lowell and Worcester and other have significant west African populations. If we're talking city proper DC is not a diverse population. Even if we're not talking city proper it should count for something. We're not examining how many west indian nationalities are in Miami and Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City