Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Sarasota, FL 20 66.67%
Columbia, SC 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Which is better?

Downtown:
Restaurants:
Shopping:
Economy:
Crime:
Culture:
Cleanliness:
Things to do:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 11:01 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I prefer Sarasota

Old 05-31-2019, 04:40 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Sarasota has a small eclectic downtown with a great bay front area, with plenty of high rises and beautiful historic homes.

I have only gone to Sarasota a few times now, I’m not an expert, but I feel the food scene could improve there. No real Mexican restaurants, almost all seafood and chain restaurants. No Cuban which kind of surprised me. Feels like they could some more diversity. The Amish community has a great restaurant, according to my parents who go there every week for breakfast.

I’ve never gone to the Sarasota mall, which I heard is a nice place. I imagine shopping in Sarasota is just fine. The mall in south Sarasota near my parents is getting old and worn down with vacant storefronts.

Economy in Sarasota doesn’t seem to be the most robust. But my mom found a job in her field and my dad is in a transitional phase looking for a job with good insurance. My brother is studying to get into the healthcare industry, which I’m sure is a great field to be in in Florida period, especially Sarasota (as it is here in Phoenix for obvious reasons).

Never heard or seen excessive crime in Sarasota. It seems to be below average on crime rate.

Sarasota has a weird mix of older, wealthier retirees and artists, and oddball lower-income younger people. Though I’m starting to wonder if that’s Florida in general. This cultural clash makes Sarasota a strange place, and people find themselves in a niche. Yes there are more “average American” type people there, but it seems to be in the shadows.

Sarasota is in a fantastic location with amazing beaches, and outdoor recreation inland. Obviously with all the bays between the keys and the keys themselves, there are plenty of things to do. But if you’re not a water person, Sarasota may not be the best for you.

I mentioned scenery a bit already. The beaches speak for themselves.

Sarasota is a clean place, cleaner than a lot of Phoenix. More like Scottsdale as far as cleanliness, or an upper class suburb.

I sort of already mentioned things to do. Again if you aren’t into water, you may not like it there.

I know nothing about Columbia.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:31 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
I think Sarasota stands out more than Columbia as a very appealing place for vacations. The area has some of the finest beaches anywhere and has a visually attractive environment, great cultural scene (Ringling Museum and grounds are a must visit), plenty of quality retail and is mostly clean and safe. I've actually been very impressed by the dining scene which includes plenty of independent establishments, especially around downtown.

But as far as living, I would say this is more dependent on one's situation. Columbia would likely have a better job market for young, middle class workers, with the state government, university, military and finance/insurance sectors all being well represented. These industry types tend to offer better compensation than the tourism and basic services that are more dominant in Sarasota. Columbia certainly has more of a four season climate and hillier topography than Sarasota, and is within a few hours of both the coast and mountains. Lake Murray, which is a vast body of water close to many of the prosperous suburban areas, is also a great local recreational asset for Columbia.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:44 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Sarasota has a lot more of most everything. Downtown is booming right now, and the St. Armands Circle area is also great for shopping and entertainment.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,688 times
Columbia to live.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
If you have money, Sarasota.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:44 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Columbia to live, Sarasota to visit.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:39 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,413 times
Columbia to live, Sarasota to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City