Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 985 times

Advertisements

In my mid fifties and living in an area where property taxes are out of control, the handwriting is on the wall that it's time to move. I know what areas are out (Florida and SoCal) since living there was not for me. Rhode Island up to Maine just way too cold in the winter, and I'm too much of a "Yankee" for New England. The three "H"'s (hazy, hot and humid) make the days unbearable.

I'd just like to have a nice home in a safe, gated community with a water view or front (preferably Ocean or bay over lake), where it doesn't get much past 75 in the summer, or much under 40 in the Winter. 3-4 snowstorms from Nov. to end Jan. is fine since it's nice to have snow at Christmas time. Even though I want to stay on the East Coast, I think I won't escape the heat and humidity anywhere. No Dakotas or Montana, Minnesota, etc.

Maybe no such place exists in the U.S. and I'd never be an Expat. I can't be the only financially comfortable baby-boomer, who grew up used to affluent areas, with no trailer parks and people keeping their properties up poorly. Water seeks its own level, and naturally, people seek to live among their own.If white families are having a mass exodus from NY, NJ and CT, and NOT all going to Florida, where are they going? There have to be high class communities cropping up, as tri-state area transplants look to get out from under exorbitant taxes.

I want a safe community with good schools and good neighbors, where weather extremes aren't brutal. East Coast is best of all, so I really don't want to go elsewhere. Any suggestions from successful migratory stories, from upscale parts of NY, NJ and CT? Once you're acclimated to a certain way of living, there's no downward adjustment. Thanks!

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-04-2019 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: please don't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 10:22 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,041,772 times
Snow bird from mid Jan to April in South Carolina in a gated community.

Spend the rest of the time in Maine.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 PM

257 posts, read 168,788 times
You’re basically describing the PNW.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:11 PM

16,512 posts, read 26,394,575 times
You know gates aren't safe, right? People follow you in, people give out codes, they break often, etc. They just make you look pompous.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,423,066 times
[quote=Safety In Numbers;55339895]If white families are having a mass exodus from NY, NJ and CT, and NOT all going to Florida, where are they goi.ng?

Arizona, Texas, Tennessee, or the Carolinas seem to be the most popular spots.

As other have said, your "humidity" requirement basically rules out the entire Northeast, Midwest, and south. Weather extremes in the SW (for the most part) would rule out that region. I guess that only leaves the Pacific NW, and maybe a couple spots in the "Mountain west".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City