Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta’s northside?
Competes with elite burbs like Orange County and Nova 19 32.20%
Better aligned with the burbs of Orlando, Miami, Charlotte or Nashville? 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:51 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Different people have different definition of "elite".

I lived in Northern Virginia (Fairfax County). If by "elite" one just means affluent, then, yes, it's a very elite area. If by "elite" one means that it has a denser concentration of residents with graduate degrees and/or a denser concentration of residents who are upwardly-mobile in their vocations, then, yes NoVA is elite.

If by "elite" one means "extremely desirable" then that opens up a whole other can of worms.

For me most of NoVA seemed poorly-planned, sprawling, generic, and soulless. It was very car-dependent. I couldn't understand why I was paying so much in rent to live in "Anywhere, USA" in terms of urban planning. If I was an elite (as in affluent) I'd rather live in Manhattan or San Francisco or Chicago ANYDAY over a cul-de-sac lined with beige vinyl siding and SUV's that you could see ringing any other major metropolitan area at a less expensive price point.
Oh, you again...You could've lived in Arlington or DC proper and reverse commuted to wherever you worked in Fairfax County so you could live in the urban environment you craved so much. Lots of people choose that option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 01:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yeah people always bring up Alexandria and Arlington's urban cores when discussing NOVA. They seem to forget they where original part of D.C, and effectively still are. Real suburban NOVA starts at Falls Church. Arlington compares to Buckhead if anything. Though I think Bethesda MD is more like Buckhead.
You're actually helping make the point of what separates NOVA, even if it's only by a tad bit. Because regardless of how you slice it, today and for the past couple of hundred years, Arlington and Alexandria are still NOVA/ suburban DC. They are not the District proper, regardless of what they originated as. The same can't be said for Alpharetta etc.

Anyone with two eyes can see some physical similarities in the two areas, but if the comparison is NOVA as a whole, which has 3 million people. Then you have a lot more diversity to choose from if limiting to only "North Atlanta" suburbs. NOVA starts at the Potomac River and runs at least out to Woodbridge, Stafford, Manassas, and Leesburg, in between there's a large variety in what you will find. Virginia wine country is right on the edge of the metro area, VRE extends to Fredericksburg, and for goodness sake NOVA has a navigable river and closer proximity to beaches.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
Quote:
Yeah people always bring up Alexandria and Arlington's urban cores when discussing NOVA. They seem to forget they where original part of D.C, and effectively still are. Real suburban NOVA starts at Falls Church. Arlington compares to Buckhead if anything. Though I think Bethesda MD is more like Buckhead.
Closest thing to Arlington in Atlanta is Midtown. Buckhead is more like Tysons Corner.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You're actually helping make the point of what separates NOVA, even if it's only by a tad bit. Because regardless of how you slice it, today and for the past couple of hundred years, Arlington and Alexandria are still NOVA/ suburban DC. They are not the District proper, regardless of what they originated as. The same can't be said for Alpharetta etc.

Anyone with two eyes can see some physical similarities in the two areas, but if the comparison is NOVA as a whole, which has 3 million people. Then you have a lot more diversity to choose from if limiting to only "North Atlanta" suburbs. NOVA starts at the Potomac River and runs at least out to Woodbridge, Stafford, Manassas, and Leesburg, in between there's a large variety in what you will find. Virginia wine country is right on the edge of the metro area, VRE extends to Fredericksburg, and for goodness sake NOVA has a navigable river and closer proximity to beaches.
Comparing Alpharetta to Alexandria is like comparing Chantilly to Buckhead. I.E it's not a fair comparison. I didn't think the purpose of this thread was a "which one do you like more" thread. You listed reasons as to why people might prefer NOVA. I just think if we're ranking them on tiers they are on the same tier and have been for a while. Before soon. Williamson county TN will be in the same tier as well. I think NOVA is good at what it does people just need to stop pretending it's miles ahead of everything else.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,880 times
Quote:
Meh, don't get it twisted. Alexandria (and Georgetown) predate DC by a century. And if it weren't for the presence of either, Mt. Vernon would likely never have been expanded, and hence, the capital would never have been located along the Potomac. It just irks me when people act like Maryland and Virginia didn't exist before DC. There would be historic towns and cities there even if DC weren't.

In that respect, DC is unique as a major city because it kind of owes a bit of its own existence to the fact that its present-day burbs (or a resident thereof) called it into being.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Meh, don't get it twisted. Alexandria (and Georgetown) predate DC by a century. And if it weren't for the presence of either, Mt. Vernon would likely never have been expanded, and hence, the capital would never have been located along the Potomac. It just irks me when people act like Maryland and Virginia didn't exist before DC. There would be historic towns and cities there even if DC weren't.

In that respect, DC is unique as a major city because it kind of owes a bit of its own existence to the fact that its present-day burbs (or a resident thereof) called it into being.
Yes the plan was to incorporate Alexandria as a large neighborhood of D.C. Much like what happened with Georgetown.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
When I think of "elite", Atlanta never comes to mind.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Comparing Alpharetta to Alexandria is like comparing Chantilly to Buckhead. I.E it's not a fair comparison. I didn't think the purpose of this thread was a "which one do you like more" thread. You listed reasons as to why people might prefer NOVA. I just think if we're ranking them on tiers they are on the same tier and have been for a while. Before soon. Williamson county TN will be in the same tier as well. I think NOVA is good at what it does people just need to stop pretending it's miles ahead of everything else.
Not really basing it on what I like at all. I see suburbs like NOVA and OC a level higher, because I see their respective cities or overall metros DC and LA on a higher tier, that's the only bias I may have in this. NOVA as a whole is the size of a mid size metropolitan area.

Within NOVA alone you get urban city, high rise satellite suburb, suburban sprawl McMansions, real actual multi million dollar mansions, and country/ rural. Not to mention two major airports and public transit greater than pretty much all of the Sunbelt's PT. You also get some of the best K-12 schools in the country, and higher levels of diversity. While still having more scenic and historic landmarks/ sights IMO and places like wine country, and a navigable river. These are small factors that add up.

The two things that have thrown this thread off are using the word "elite" and only subjecting this to "North Atlanta" which in effect cuts off about half it's suburbs from this discussion...There is not some wide gap I'm suggesting at all, but I think N. ATL suburbs would still come next in line or after NOVA/OC if ranking them.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:57 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Closest thing to Arlington in Atlanta is Midtown. Buckhead is more like Tysons Corner.
We've covered this before, and no it isn't at all like Tysons. Perimeter Center is Atlanta's version of Tysons, Buckhead has no equivalent in the D.C. area.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
When I think of "elite", Atlanta never comes to mind.
You've obviously never been then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City