Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta’s northside?
Competes with elite burbs like Orange County and Nova 19 32.20%
Better aligned with the burbs of Orlando, Miami, Charlotte or Nashville? 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 06:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times

Advertisements

In a thread on the Atlanta forum, a poster made the comment that Alpharetta/Milton/ Johns Creek/ south Forsyth county/ east Cobb connection north of Atlanta is in the starting to intrude on the same tier as Nova, Orange County and other elite burbs. Do you think this is true or does this area only compete with (or exceed) other burbs in the southeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
In a thread on the Atlanta forum, a poster made the comment that Alpharetta/Milton/ Johns Creek/ south Forsyth county/ east Cobb connection north of Atlanta is in the starting to intrude on the same tier as Nova, Orange County and other elite burbs. Do you think this is true or does this area only compete with (or exceed) other burbs in the southeast?
NOVA and Atlanta’s northern suburbs are very much comparable. However, I would include Sandy Springs and Dunwoody in your definition too. I believe this to be one of the largest uninterrupted regions of $100,000 household incomes in the United States, and I can’t think of another region in the Southeast of this size with this kind of concentrated wealth. We’re talking 300,000 to 400,000 people in my guess.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:56 PM

340 posts, read 320,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
NOVA and Atlanta’s northern suburbs are very much comparable. However, I would include Sandy Springs and Dunwoody in your definition too. I believe this to be one of the largest uninterrupted regions of $100,000 household incomes in the United States, and I can’t think of another region in the Southeast of this size with this kind of concentrated wealth. We’re talking 300,000 to 400,000 people in my guess.
I would definitely include Alpharetta/Johns Creek/ Milton. I wouldn't include Cumming just yet, but it is definitely shaping up. The other three suburbs have definitely grown and are almost entire independent from Atlanta. Milton isn't considered a suburb of Atlanta. Milton is considered a suburb of Alpharetta. These areas are also home to an extremely high concentration of 100k+ jobs. These are also some of the most expensive areas in all of Atlanta.
Alpharetta
https://www.experienceavalon.com/
Google maps is outdated, but Alpharetta has basically built a new downtown.
https://popeandland.com/property/northwinds-summit/
https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_n...9d9301eb1.html

Cumming
https://patch.com/georgia/cumming/ha...summer-opening

Old 07-01-2019, 11:26 PM

195 posts, read 195,235 times
What makes NOVA and Orange county "elite"? I lived in NOVA for 5 years and wouldn't describe it as such. It's just a decent suburban area, nothing more nothing less. I'd put it in the same tier as the North Atlanta burbs.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:01 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
What makes NOVA and Orange county "elite"? I lived in NOVA for 5 years and wouldn't describe it as such. It's just a decent suburban area, nothing more nothing less. I'd put it in the same tier as the North Atlanta burbs.
I was coming here to say the same.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Having spent a good bit of time in both NOVA and the northern Atlanta suburbs (In-laws live there), I'm trying to understand how the 'elite' tag applies. Both areas are sprawling, generic suburbs with the occasional attempt at new urbanism and awful traffic. Dunwoody? I kind of get. But Alpharetta? No.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke2 View Post
Where in NOVA were you? Because if you were in PW or Stafford County, or Fairfax County south of I-66; east of VA-123, I'd be inclined to agree. Once you go towards Fairfax County north of I-66, Arlington County, and Loudoun County, it's a pretty solid upscale area that somewhat reminds me of an eastern version of Orange County (Irvine and points south) in some ways.

As for this, the concentration of Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Roswell/South Forsyth is definitely a very upscale area and has all the ingredients (high-income demographics, huge employment centers in DunwoodySprings (Perimeter Center) and Alpharetta, good schools, etc.), but not quite "there" yet. There's still a notable lack of public transportation compared to NOVA (OC is bad with this, but has commuter rail and a much more comprehensive freeway system) plus there's more "checkerboard" areas in the southern part of Sandy Springs with pockets of poverty, but there are very upscale areas on the other side. Also, the North Fulton Schools are great, but due to the county system of schools drags those stats down due to how huge Fulton County is and covers a wide swath of demographics and incomes. Also, Georgia is still the South and all the perceptions and stereotypes that come with that and how that affects desirability and appeal to a lot of people.

However, the North ATL burbs are definitely one of the premier suburban area of the Southeast though. And if you don't include Florida, it's definitely the premier area. Charlotte's upscale burbs don't have the massive employee base that North ATL's burbs do, and Florida's upscale burbs cater more to retirees and people who already have money, although Orlando's forays into the tech industry and aerospace give it a cache that other Floridian burbs lack.

I say give it about another 5-10 years, given the number of employers that are already up there, the high-income demographics the area attracts, etc. I think Collin County in Texas near Dallas is a lot more ahead and comparable if we're talking about counties in the South/sunbelt counties that can go toe-to-toe with OC or NOVA.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 AM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Yeah there's absolutely nothing "elite" about NOVA. Outside Great Falls McLean and Oakton perhaps. But the majority of is just typical suburban sprawl. Nova isn't bad but it gets overrated on here. The same is somewhat true with OC. I think both areas are in the same tier as the Atlanta burbs just more expensive.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:59 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,511,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I was coming here to say the same.
You know everything comparable outside of the Southeast is better than what can offer. Especially desirable things, like suburbs, schools, employment options, QOL, and fancy organizations. If we have “good” someone up yonder or out there has “better”.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,276,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Where in NOVA were you? Because if you were in PW or Stafford County, or Fairfax County south of I-66; east of VA-123, I'd be inclined to agree. Once you go towards Fairfax County north of I-66, Arlington County, and Loudoun County, it's a pretty solid upscale area that somewhat reminds me of an eastern version of Orange County (Irvine and points south) in some ways.

As for this, the concentration of Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Dunwoody/Sandy Springs/Roswell/South Forsyth is definitely a very upscale area and has all the ingredients (high-income demographics, huge employment centers in DunwoodySprings (Perimeter Center) and Alpharetta, good schools, etc.), but not quite "there" yet. There's still a notable lack of public transportation compared to NOVA (OC is bad with this, but has commuter rail and a much more comprehensive freeway system) plus there's more "checkerboard" areas in the southern part of Sandy Springs with pockets of poverty, but there are very upscale areas on the other side. Also, the North Fulton Schools are great, but due to the county system of schools drags those stats down due to how huge Fulton County is and covers a wide swath of demographics and incomes. Also, Georgia is still the South and all the perceptions and stereotypes that come with that and how that affects desirability and appeal to a lot of people.

However, the North ATL burbs are definitely one of the premier suburban area of the Southeast though. And if you don't include Florida, it's definitely the premier area. Charlotte's upscale burbs don't have the massive employee base that North ATL's burbs do, and Florida's upscale burbs cater more to retirees and people who already have money, although Orlando's forays into the tech industry and aerospace give it a cache that other Floridian burbs lack.

I say give it about another 5-10 years, given the number of employers that are already up there, the high-income demographics the area attracts, etc. I think Collin County in Texas near Dallas is a lot more ahead and comparable if we're talking about counties in the South/sunbelt counties that can go toe-to-toe with OC or NOVA.
Even if we don’t always get along, always enjoy your insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City