Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities waterfront is put to best use?
Baltimore 7 8.33%
Boston 10 11.90%
Chicago 29 34.52%
Cleveland 1 1.19%
DC 0 0%
Detroit 1 1.19%
Honolulu 4 4.76%
Jacksonville 2 2.38%
L.A. 3 3.57%
Miami 5 5.95%
Milwaukee 3 3.57%
New Orleans 1 1.19%
NYC 2 2.38%
Pittsburgh 1 1.19%
Philly 1 1.19%
Tampa 1 1.19%
San Francisco 3 3.57%
Seattle 10 11.90%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,008,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I voted Baltimore. Tough to argue that the Inner Harbor isn't one of the best in the country at activating and integrating the downtown area with the waterfront. Chicago was my 1(a) and I could easily be swayed to rank it number 1.

That said, I think Boston's still in the discussion with the lengthy Harborwalk which is dotted with great pubic spaces. Especially if you include the Seaport/Ft. Point as part of the downtown area. But I think Columbus Park, Long Wharf, the Aquarium, Boston Harbor Hotel, etc. are among the better urban waterfront spaces in the country. Again, I'd still put Baltimore and Chicago above it and I think you could make cases for Seattle, San Francisco, Milwaukee, and even Pittsburgh; but Boston's definitely near the top of the class.
The Charles is much nicer than the harbor IMO but that’s not Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Completely agree. And I know some people will try to make the argument that it IS downtown by some definitions, but I personally don't count it as downtown.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
How is Austin not on this list?

Old 07-18-2019, 10:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
If we could add Vancouver, BC, I'd have them in top 5.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Agreed. I don't really see much attractive about the Harbor, which is what I assume people mean by "Waterfront" here.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM

17,150 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
How is Austin not on this list?
It's pretty unremarkable... Especially when compared to the cities listed here in terms of waterfront.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Yeah, it's impossible to vote on just one city, but I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't put Chicago at number 1. from the downtown to the south side and north side, nothing but beaches, parks, running/biking trails, Lake Shore Drive, Navy Pier, and views of the skyline pretty much everywhere. That's not even mentioning the Chicago river, which has its own level of world class beauty.

Other mentions: Seattle, Milwaukee, Baltimore, SF and Miami

Old 07-18-2019, 11:12 AM

456 posts, read 774,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Yeah, it's impossible to vote on just one city, but I think we'd be fooling ourselves if we didn't put Chicago at number 1. from the downtown to the south side and north side, nothing but beaches, parks, running/biking trails, Lake Shore Drive, Navy Pier, and views of the skyline pretty much everywhere. That's not even mentioning the Chicago river, which has its own level of world class beauty.

Seattle's waterfront harbor is still partly a working one with a large port and ferry system anchored there. I'm not sure if that's "best" but its becoming increasingly rare.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think it depends on how we're using the term "put to use". Boston historically has not been built up to the Harbor, and there has not been much to so ON the waterfront. The Aquarium and ICA, being the only two attractions of note on the downtown side of the waterfront.
Boston’s riverfront is as much part of this discussion as the harbor. It’s always full of sailboats and kayaks, the Head of the Charles is a pretty big deal, and the parkland along the river is really nice and well-used.

Also the Harbor Islands should be considered. They’re very nice and get decent amount of visitors every year.

In any case, this poll definitely should’ve been multiple choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Completely agree. And I know some people will try to make the argument that it IS downtown by some definitions, but I personally don't count it as downtown.
If the Back Bay and Beacon Hill aren’t downtown, then the North End, the Seaport, and Charlestown aren’t either. That leaves only a pretty slim sliver of the Harbor by the Aquarium relevant to this thread.

CBI is closer than the ICA to both City Hall Plaza and the State House, btw.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 07-18-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
In a few years when they have completed their current construction/projects, San Diego will join the discussion. It has some things to offer now, but it is a work in progress.

Also, NYC—not yet mentioned—already is no slouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City