Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more laid back Chicago or LA?
Chicago 17 30.36%
LA 33 58.93%
Same 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 04:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Chicago is a lot more friendly, but LA is a bit more laid back.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It really depends on where you are. Where I grew up in the South Bay, extremely laid back and not superficial. Most of Orange County isnt really superficial either. When people talk about LA being superficial, its really about the West side of LA (Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, etc.).

That said, Chicago is definitely more friendly IMO. Chicago is a huge international city, but its still has that Midwestern/Middle America approach to life (I mean that in a good way). Its the best of both worlds to me.
Pretty much outside of the entertainment industry (which is large), superficial doesn't exist in LA county at all. Now South OC is superficial. But it's a generic, suburban, moderate Republican superficiality that you could just as easily find in South Barrington or whatever

Old 07-24-2019, 04:15 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
Definitely LA and it’s a much more enjoyable experience imo.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,162 times
So interesting to see that the poll is almost split evenly in three ways!

Old 07-24-2019, 04:42 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Which city do you find to be more laid back and why?
Spent the night in Franklin Park, IL last night (thanks to our great airlines). Wanted to take CTA downtown (heard it all night in my room) but was too exhausted. Airfare/Airbnb is very cheap for Chicago so I hope to take my first trip in September, just for the food and improv.

Life in Southern California is not easy but I think it is "laid back" in the sense that no one is name dropping alma maters in the way that I imagine they would in Chicago.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
LA, largely because of the beach culture.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Spent the night in Franklin Park, IL last night (thanks to our great airlines). Wanted to take CTA downtown (heard it all night in my room) but was too exhausted. Airfare/Airbnb is very cheap for Chicago so I hope to take my first trip in September, just for the food and improv.

Life in Southern California is not easy but I think it is "laid back" in the sense that no one is name dropping alma maters in the way that I imagine they would in Chicago.
Outside of the high society crowd, most folks in Chicago don't name drop colleges. Most middle class people there went to big 10 schools, or generic midwestern state schools (ISU, Iowa State, etc

The whole name dropping colleges is more common in Bos-Wash and the Bay Area. Not really anywhere else.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:27 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,288,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Outside of the high society crowd, most folks in Chicago don't name drop colleges. Most middle class people there went to big 10 schools, or generic midwestern state schools (ISU, Iowa State, etc

The whole name dropping colleges is more common in Bos-Wash and the Bay Area. Not really anywhere else.
Lived in Columbus, OH for 15 years and it seemed like a thing there, I assumed it would be a bigger thing in Chicago. In SoCal it often seems that people could care less if you have a GED or went to Stanford, its more about showing your work than talking big.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Lived in Columbus, OH for 15 years and it seemed like a thing there, I assumed it would be a bigger thing in Chicago. In SoCal it often seems that people could care less if you have a GED or went to Stanford, its more about showing your work than talking big.
That's because SoCal is filled to the brim with hangers on, wannabes, big dreamers. So talk is cheap there. That's why SoCal is more "what do you do", not "what is your pedigree".

Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
When it comes to these "laid back" battles, I tend to look at just a few qualifiers. How do people drive? How polite are people in stores/retail? How fast do they walk and do they make eye contact?

Based on these qualifiers, I think Chicago is more laid back, despite the reputation of LA.

Drivers: LA drivers are aggressive, fast, knowledgeable, and confident. Chicago drivers can be aggressive and fast, but most just mind the rules and drive sensibly, depending on the neighborhood.

Stores/Retail: Rudeness is somewhat common in both cities, but I have found Chicago folks friendlier and more helpful overall.

Walking: LA folks don't usually walk, so Chicago wins this one by default. However there is more eye contact and less bustle in the Loop than in Manhattan, for example.

I'm sure there are other factors but this is just my experience. At Chicago's heart, it is a pure, friendly midwest city that happens to be the biggest in its region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City