Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more laid back Chicago or LA?
Chicago 17 30.36%
LA 33 58.93%
Same 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times

Advertisements

LA by a little, but people in Chicago are friendlier generally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 10:44 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Part of it is weather-related. Especially in the winter, there is a fast-paced, somewhat rushed/unfriendly hustle and bustle (people are rushing and don't look super friendly) when commuting and riding public transportation. Similar to what you would see in NYC or other NE cities (Philly, Boston). It's not that Chicagoans are naturally unfriendly; it's more a factor that when it's cold, you are naturally more on-the-move and aren't super happy about it. Although, overall, Chicagoans are friendly. Somewhat direct, but still friendly. These are broad generalizations of course.
I"ve always thought that "hustle and bustle" attributed largely to northern cities is simply the fact that its too cold to even stand outside for large portions of the year. Has nothing to do with the actual people or their personality types.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Really? I've been here 20 years and Chicago definitely isn't a "where did you go" "who do you know" "what are you wearing" kinda place. It's more of a "when does the party start" kinda vibe.

I was in DC and NYC with friends of friends over the years and I'm always caught off guard by everyone who kept asking where I went to school, who I work for, etc. I was like - who cares where are the drinks??

For a big dense corporate city Chicago definitely seem to swing more to working to live/play instead of living to work. Half day or full day Friday's off in the summer are widespread, decent vacation, overtime is not automatically expected. People just want to relax and have fun. If you're a live or die work person or all into what everyone is dressed in or where they went or where they work expect to get a lot of eyes rolled at you.
I agree with this, and if we're solely talking the city, outside of maybe the culture of U of Chicago in Hyde Park, I'd agree with you that name dropping Alma Maters is rare.

However, if we expand this to the whole metro area, you will definitely find local types who do care about where you went to college, your connections, your other credentials etc.... specifically in the "Older money" wealthy suburbs like Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Hinsdale. Of course, this is a very small sub-section of the greater metro area, but it's still there. Even then, this level of "where did you go to school" is still VERY minute when you compare Chicago to places like DC, NYC, and oh my, Boston. I would agree with Wizard of Radical though, this does seem to be a bigger trend with boomers, and seems to be dying off with newer generations. Chicago definitely seems to get more laid back with every changing year.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
What does laid back mean exactly?

I think Chicago is definitely more fast-paced (especially when it comes to work culture) and has more of a "get it done" attitude but is more friendly than LA.

LA I think is just a slower-paced city in many ways, so I guess it's more laid back?

People from LA and SoCal are really friendly, it's just the people in the entertainment/instagram/music industry that come here from all over and now litter this city like the plague that give it a bad name.
Laid back in general terms means to be chill, not uptight, and have less stress. Interesting that you struggle with that definition while I struggle to understand a definition for fast-paced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City