Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More stressful for drivers?
LA 35 53.03%
Boston 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:30 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times

Advertisements

I lived in various parts of LA for greater than 20 years and visited Boston many times. I thought Boston drivers (I’ve heard the negative comments) were a bit crazy, but the drivers in LA do some of the dumbest things when stuck in traffic and get angry pretty quickly. I’d say LA is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 PM

567 posts, read 430,796 times
I didn't find driving in Boston stressful at all. While driving in LA can be very stressful, in particular the Westside.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 PM

567 posts, read 430,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I never thought "LA drivers" and "nice" would ever be in the same sentence. I thought they invented road rage and certain obnoxious habits like speeding up to not let people merge, cutting people off, brake checking, etc. This was 15+ years ago though, so maybe the culture has changed. Maybe just like with crime, all the bad drivers left LA (AND probably moved to Atlanta as well).
LA drivers still have a lot of attitude. Not all, but many. During the morning and evening rush hours, traffic crawls along at 10 to 25 mph on the freeways, hence no ones getting anywhere fast. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for driving on "Surface Streets." That's the term used by Angelino's when referring to city streets. IMO LA rush hour traffic on "Surface Streets" is much more stressful than freeway driving during rush hour.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
There are two things;

1. Most cars have GPS

OR

2. Most people have a smartphone, either Android or Apple, so they have a GPS in their pockets

So what's the problem then? How is it hard to navigate a city you're not familiar with when you're either listening to your device's directions or looking at it on a map? (or both) If you miss a turn, it just re-routes it until you get to the destination. All you have to do is be patient for another minute or two, that's literally it. I just visited Atlanta earlier this year, a city I'm unfamiliar with and a city that's not on a traditional grid network. I had zero issues at all due to technology. I've usually visited Boston by flying in but when I lived in Alexandria, VA there were two times that I drove to Boston. I did this in a time period when I was almost completely unfamiliar with the city's street network (still am mostly unfamiliar with it) and had zero issues getting around the city thanks to GPS navigation. Any turn or exit that I missed would be re-routed to an alternative route and would only add like a minute or two extra to the trip.

There are ways to get around unfamiliarity thanks to technology, if you're resourceful enough. I use the GPS/maps all the time, pretty much everyday whether I walk or drive or take the train. There is no way to fix traffic, congestion, or the time spent stuck in traffic though, which is why I'll be going with Los Angeles on this topic.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-22-2019 at 09:02 PM..

Old 09-23-2019, 01:08 AM

52 posts, read 35,252 times
Traffic in LA takes longer to get through. That alone makes LA more stressful. Boston can be bad but at least it's over much quicker.

Last edited by Chinese French Italian; 09-23-2019 at 02:06 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 09:21 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Boston because of the weather

Old 09-24-2019, 10:04 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I think this is LA and it's not even close. I realize that my perspective might be skewed as a Boston local who has familiarity with the roadways here, but I still think LA is by far the more stressful city to drive in. The sheer congestion alone in LA is infinitely worse than what we have in Boston. But LA is much more spread out which just adds to the stress. Especially if you need to cover any real distance across the city. Sure, Boston's central neighborhoods may be annoying with their irregular layout, but it's such a small, compact city that there's margin for error and delays. LA's stress comes not just from the frustration of congestion, but from the amount of pressure it puts on people to plan accordingly or risk thoroughly throwing off schedules. The ripple effects of added delays to already bad traffic can set you back 2 hours while trying to go 20 miles in LA. Even at its worst, Boston's not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City