Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More stressful for drivers?
LA 35 53.03%
Boston 31 46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:52 PM

503 posts, read 597,583 times

Advertisements

Which city would you consider more stressful to drive in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
I haven't driven in Boston recently but from what I hear Boston drivers are more aggressive and maybe worse drivers. Also I think that LA streets are more on a grid and likely wider. Boston also has weather. The only thing that's probably more stressful about driving in LA is the hours per day that we have congestion. In many areas we have traffic nearly all the time, even at night.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:23 PM

503 posts, read 597,583 times
Which city is worse for rush hour traffic?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:31 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Depends. If you dont know the layout of Boston streets/arent familiar with it, then I would definetly say Boston.

If you do, I feel LA Would be more stressful, or it would be very close.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
I think L.A. drivers are actually pretty predictable, drive aggressively and fast in dense traffic but often use their signals and are apt to allow lane changes and maneuvers from other drivers just to facilitate movement in the morass of traffic that generally defines the whole area. The traffic itself is stressful but the drivers mostly not.

Boston streets are laid out as crazily as Paris being that it is a pre-car city and of course it has traffic but does not have 10-20 lane wide freeway interchanges that we have in SoCa or common eight lane wide city streets. Thus the drivers are aggressive and are generally jockeying for space in just two or three lanes with a few confusing rotaries mixed in. You need to be very decisive in finding the correct lanes quickly that send you off in the desired direction with few people willing to let you in if you miss it by a moment. And the locals being generally pizzed off while they are driving. I am always majorly stressed out driving in that city, more than any city I’ve driven in.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:04 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,129 times
I don't find driving in LA very stressful. Sure, there's traffic at all hours, but as long as you give yourself enough time, there is no big stress. 95+% of drivers, for the most part, are reasonably nice. They pretty much always let you merge when a lane ends. When ever we have guests from the Midwest, they are always surprised by how much nicer the drivers are, with several commenting about how back in the Midwest, when you put your blinker on to change lanes the other cars will speed up so you can't come over. That was my experience whn I lived there as well.

The biggest stressor in LA is if you come with unrealistic traffic expectations, like thinking you'll be able to get to Santa Monica from downtown on the 10 in 15 mins at 11AM because it's 15 miles and "not rush hour." When it ends up taking 40-50 mins, that is stressful. If you plan on it taking that long, it's not a big deal.

As for Boston, I haven't driven there recently, but I remember my parents getting pretty turned around and traffic being very heavy.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:18 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I enjoyed driving in Boston. I've found LA to be more of a nuisance, but still not really "stressful".

Places like Denver though, where people chronically drive timidly and construction/mobility is horribly lacking and behind the eight ball, that stressful to me. It's traffic and slow flow, under a sleepy/lazy/disinterested vibe, to add insult to injury.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
I dont recall noticing anything out of the ordinary about driving in Boston.

LA otoh has such gut wrenchingly bad traffic that I couldnt help but vote for it. It once took me 3 hrs to drive from LAX to North Hollywood. That's downright Sao Paulolike.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I dont recall noticing anything out of the ordinary about driving in Boston.

LA otoh has such gut wrenchingly bad traffic that I couldnt help but vote for it. It once took me 3 hrs to drive from LAX to North Hollywood. That's downright Sao Paulolike.
Yeah, it’s a different sort of stress for sure. I find Boston overall more stressful because you have to really be on your toes to avoid making mistakes and I just find the streets somewhat confusing. I guess if you live there you get used to it.

LA is stressful because of the sheer congestion, even though I find it fairly easy to navigate but for the traffic. But I’m so used to traffic being in Seattle that it doesn’t faze me down there, unless I have to be somewhere and am going to be late due to the traffic.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 PM

330 posts, read 293,449 times
As a LA native who has traveled to Boston/Cambridge, I would say LA is way more stressful.

The 405, 10, 5, 710 and 101 are simply horrendous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City