Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Inland Northwest Cities
Wenatchee 0 0%
Yakima 0 0%
Kennewick 3 9.68%
Spokane 16 51.61%
Coeur d'Alene 6 19.35%
Missoula 1 3.23%
Bozeman 1 3.23%
Helena 0 0%
Billings 0 0%
Cheyenne 1 3.23%
Jackson Hole 2 6.45%
Idaho Falls 0 0%
Twin Falls 0 0%
Boise 14 45.16%
Bend 3 9.68%
The Dalles 0 0%
Walla Walla 0 0%
La Grande 0 0%
Casper 0 0%
Other (please specify) 1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,834,827 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am interested in hearing what is your favorite Inland Northwest city, and why?

For the record, Inland Northwest includes Eastern Washington and Oregon (east of the Cascades), Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. I am not including the coast in this thread mainly because of weather differences and differences in lifestyles.

Please use the following criteria:

1. Affordability / COL (income to housing)
2. Economy / Jobs
3. Weather and Climate Patterns (precipitation, wind, etc.)
4. Outdoor Recreation
5. Environmental Issues (sustainability, air quality, hazardous waste, etc.)
6. Politics
7. Public Spending / Debt
8. Walkability / Urban design / Transportation
9. Public education
10. Potential Growth / City's Future
11. Other criteria you deem important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 07:07 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,540,942 times
Boise, followed by Spokane. Love both cities. Then a pretty big drop off for the rest.

Old 10-23-2019, 03:23 PM

No votes yet for CdA, Bend, or any of the smaller places?

Old 10-23-2019, 03:35 PM

571 posts, read 1,175,831 times
I grew up in Spokane/Coeur d' Alene so I'm partial to those cities, but the natural setting with huge alpine lakes and mountains close by along with Spokane's interesting downtown make for a great combo.

I recently went to visit my parents in Boise and I'm very impressed with the direction that city is heading too. The bike culture there almost seemed to surpass what I've seen in Portland.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:29 PM

6,398 posts, read 5,037,013 times
I really need to explore more of the West, lol. I've been inside every Western state at least once, but I'm still missing all these cities except Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Wenatchee, and Jackson Hole.

I guess Coeur d'Alene was nicer than I was expecting, although the hotels were crazy expensive (like, absolute minimum $230). On the other hand I found Spokane kind of ugly and run-down for the most part, although the area on the south side around the Northwest Museum was nice. Downtown Wenatchee was historic and had cool natural surroundings but it's way too small and isolated for me to want to live there. Jackson Hole I only have vague memories of from going to Yellowstone when I was like 13.

Bend looks pleasant from what I've seen Street-Viewing, but I'm not seeing what's so special about it to make it boom so fast.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:31 PM

4,417 posts, read 4,313,240 times
Boise is clearly the leader here. After that I'd go, Tri-Cities, Spokane, Missoula.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I really need to explore more of the West, lol. I've been inside every Western state at least once, but I'm still missing all these cities except Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Wenatchee, and Jackson Hole.

I guess Coeur d'Alene was nicer than I was expecting, although the hotels were crazy expensive (like, absolute minimum $230). On the other hand I found Spokane kind of ugly and run-down for the most part, although the area on the south side around the Northwest Museum was nice. Downtown Wenatchee was historic and had cool natural surroundings but it's way too small and isolated for me to want to live there. Jackson Hole I only have vague memories of from going to Yellowstone when I was like 13.

Bend looks pleasant from what I've seen Street-Viewing, but I'm not seeing what's so special about it to make it boom so fast.
That’s more than me I’ve never been up there. I picked cities that I’ve heard of, and seen “large enough” and important for their immediate region. Hence why I included a couple in Wyoming when really, I’m not entirely sure they qualify as cities, they may be too small population wise.

Street view of Bend looks a lot like Flagstaff to me. I love Flagstaff so that’s a good thing.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,766,244 times
Not familiar with all the cities, but the one reason I wouldn't choose Kennewick is because of the past and present nuclear facilities...

Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 PM

Spokane is currently ahead of Boise - why?

Old 10-24-2019, 10:05 PM

6,398 posts, read 5,037,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Spokane is currently ahead of Boise - why?
Maybe Boise is harder to get to for most Americans? Spokane is 4 hours east of Seattle along one of the US' most major Interstates. I don't know how I'll ever get to Boise, if I do - it's too far to drive for a weekend trip but not really alluring enough for me to want to fly there or take vacation days to drive there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City