Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 11:53 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Austin is a white city in a particular way. Its time in the national cognizant and it’s growth and culture in the new millennium has been 100% defined by massive growth in white population-particularly white millennials. They are driving the cultural expansion of Austin and shaping it in the 21st century more so than a typical metro or city. Also the lack of a large black population in the core or traditional high density minority ‘ghettoes’ makes it seem as if it’s a city defined by modern white urbanism.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I tend to take the middle road between the arguments being made about Austin:

-On one hand comparing Austin to Portland or Denver on a demographic level is unfair. Austin is a lot more diverse than either of those. Its pretty comparable to Charlotte to me. An overall white city but with healthy numbers of minorities (Hispanics in Austin and African Americans in Charlotte). It is certainly more diverse than other cities that cater to that demographic on a statistical level and I agree it is more diverse than it gets credit for.

-However, in my opinion, Austin's culture is no where near as diverse as its demographic statistics. The city and the culture of the city is overwhelmingly white. Austin just feels much whiter than it is. The target audience for Austin is white liberals. The people who fawn over Austin are almost universally white liberals. Where this seems to be an issue for the minority communities comes in the form of gentrification. Austin could write a book on that topic and while its not all bad, it does have the habit of pushing poorer minorities out of their neighborhoods and white hipsters and yupies tend to be the beneficiaries. As such, Austin is viewed as racially regressive to the extent that its politically progressive.

At the end of the day though, Im a statistical person so I somewhat default to my first point. I only comment on Austin because I know it so well.
Well said as well.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
East Austin right across I35 at one time was black Austin before they were priced out there communities due to gentrification. Liberal Austin for years knew it had a image problem amongst black Americans and they did absolutely nothing to try to mitigate the problem by making Austin more hospitable for people of color, which in-turn would have helped the city retain it black numbers. Instead they followed in the same steps as cities out in California not giving a damn about the state of their respective black communities. I’m personally not a big fan of the liberal ideology because history continues to show black people regress in cities dominated by liberals.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:37 AM

21,661 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Isn't most of that true with most cities?
And Austin is still twice as Hispanic as the national average, and only a few percentage points black behind the national average.
Naw not at all.

Most major cities are losing whites in their emtro and their cultural expansion as a metro and culturally is all about the increasing diversity and cosmopolitan feel. gentrification is a thing in a few square miles of 1000+ sqmi metros. Even still, cities that are gentrifying like NYC, LA, SF, Philly and Boston are still losing whites as an overall share of the population and quickly losing them in aggregate in the metro.

Austin has made a name for itself in the 21st century by being a 'new' place for white settlement.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-02-2019 at 06:46 AM..

Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,406,204 times
Quote:
East Austin right across I35 at one time was black Austin before they were priced out there communities due to gentrification. Liberal Austin for years knew it had a image problem amongst black Americans and they did absolutely nothing to try to mitigate the problem by making Austin more hospitable for people of color, which in-turn would have helped the city retain it black numbers. Instead they followed in the same steps as cities out in California not giving a damn about the state of their respective black communities. I’m personally not a big fan of the liberal ideology because history continues to show black people regress in cities dominated by liberals.
I'll skip this debate. The point is that Austin's white population is only 52%, lower than the vast majority of USA metros. That "article" (read: blog post by the person who linked it) talking about how Austin was equivalent to a Scandanivian country with a homogonous white population is absolutely full of ****.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Honestly, I’ve done a lot of traveling the past 5 years. Americanization around the world is a real thing. Most immigrants who move here probably had enough exposure to american culture in their home countries that once they get here, assimilation is easier

What I’m talking about more is the opposite direction - have the new groups changed the local culture? That’s harder to measure. I find that newer groups assimilate, and don’t leave nearly as much of a mark on the local culture aside from new restaurants and new faces.

I live in NoVa and I do appreciate all the cool new restaurants though. This place still feels super transient and a somewhat subdued local culture. Maybe that’ll change with my generation.
Ok so reverse cultural assimilation??

Basically how much does Washington Heights remind people of Santo Domingo, or Little Habana remind you of actual Habana and so on and so forth. I take it that is much less prevalent in the US.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I tend to take the middle road between the arguments being made about Austin:

-On one hand comparing Austin to Portland or Denver on a demographic level is unfair. Austin is a lot more diverse than either of those. Its pretty comparable to Charlotte to me. An overall white city but with healthy numbers of minorities (Hispanics in Austin and African Americans in Charlotte). It is certainly more diverse than other cities that cater to that demographic on a statistical level and I agree it is more diverse than it gets credit for.

-However, in my opinion, Austin's culture is no where near as diverse as its demographic statistics. The city and the culture of the city is overwhelmingly white. Austin just feels much whiter than it is. The target audience for Austin is white liberals. The people who fawn over Austin are almost universally white liberals. Where this seems to be an issue for the minority communities comes in the form of gentrification. Austin could write a book on that topic and while its not all bad, it does have the habit of pushing poorer minorities out of their neighborhoods and white hipsters and yupies tend to be the beneficiaries. As such, Austin is viewed as racially regressive to the extent that its politically progressive.

At the end of the day though, Im a statistical person so I somewhat default to my first point. I only comment on Austin because I know it so well.
Denver is only a few percentage points higher "white" than Charlotte. Meanwhile, Portland is 9% points whiter, about 15% whiter.

Denver/Aurora/Lakewood MSA:
White - 63.7% - 1,868,043
Hispanic - 23.2% - 680,017
Black - 5.4% - 156,980
Asian - 4.2% - 122,579

Charlotte/Gastonia/Rock Hill MSA:
White - 60.5% - 1,553,192
Black - 22.1% - 568,244
Hispanic - 10.1% - 269,010
Asian - 4.0% - 101,933

Portland/Vancouver/Hillsboro MSA:
White - 72.6% - 1,800,547
Hispanic - 12.2% - 302,491
Asian - 6.7% - 167,160
Black - 2.8% - 69,682

Old 12-02-2019, 09:30 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,364,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns. Just so we're clear, you said:
Lol per usual you conveniently use CSA metric when it comes to percentage knowing that it boosts SF and decreases DC, but ok.

And now you know this is not true. SF tops DC in all of those measure at MSA level. You can go full Trump all you like to deflect and downplay but the numbers are the numbers.

A more gracious reply would have been: I stand corrected. FYI.

Anything else you need clarification with, let me know.

I dont say things I cant back up with facts and data. Yall should try it.
Sounds like you need to get more sleep, since you are yawning all the time.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,126,012 times
Quote:
Nearly every city is liberal, so I'm not sure this makes any sense. Which "conservative" cities are black people progressing in? The current cities that account for much of recent black wealth accumulation (Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, Raleigh, Austin) are pretty dang liberal.

Also, history shows us that black people have been excluded from politics, the economy, etc. in all environments (urban, rural, conservative, liberal). I'd definitely say it's a huge hypocrisy of liberal politics (pretending to care). However, I'm unsure conservative places are doing much more for blacks. Didn't Georgia just rig an election by removing mostly black voters from the registrar over an idiotic technicality?

Conservative regions and cities continue to actively disenfranchise black people. Liberal communities simply are not doing enough to protect them.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:51 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Conservative regions and cities continue to actively disenfranchise black people. Liberal communities simply are not doing enough to protect them.
Justice Clarence Thomas' embrace of conservative thinking comes from his own peculiar brand of black nationalism: Better to deal with the people who are honest about where they think you stand. (He also thinks that a lot of those liberal social reforms emasculated black men.)

But even after that, what you just pegged here is one reason why a sizable minority of black Americans trust white people as far as they can throw them. One side's hostile; the other, hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City