Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 10:24 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought so, since the Hispanic culture is more homogeneous than American culture.
No, Hispanic cultures are heterogeneous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,101,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
2 things.

1.Can we get the percentage of foreign born for the metro, not the per square mile as some metros are much less dense.

2. I know this is metro-data dot com... but can we possibly get some information for the top 30-50 cities PROPER. Unlike most,I do think that means something and I just think it'd be interesting
Agree strongly with thing 2. Metro areas are fun to analyze but i prefer city proper since it's the core.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:44 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Agree strongly with thing 2. Metro areas are fun to analyze but i prefer city proper since it's the core.
Ill see if I cant pull that but city limits data is even more arbitrary than Metro Area data. Some cities are very similar in character but are a fraction of the size by comparison. It makes it much more apples and oranges. Metro areas arent perfect, but they do a better job of encompassing what we thing of as "the city".

Old 12-04-2019, 10:46 AM

724 posts, read 560,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I thought so, since the Hispanic culture is more homogeneous than American culture.
Man, you gotta travel more. I speak Spanish and have been to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Peru, and Argentina and this couldn't be further from the truth. Mexico is your classic native-mestizo country, the DR is black and mulatto, Peru is mostly native, with some Mestizos and a huge Japanese/Chinese component (their most famous President was of Japanese ancestry), and Argentina is the Spanish speaking version of a British settler colony, where most people have European descent (though hugely Italian).

The only thing they all have in common is they all speak Spanish, and even there, the way they talk is completely different from one another. Rioplatense "Spanish" might as well be Italian, Carribean Spanish has a lot of Africanisms that never quite made it to English (look up Santeria), Mexican Spanish has more native words than most people realize, and a huge chunk of Peru doesn't even speak Spanish but Quechua or Aymara.

The USA isn't the only country in the Western Hemisphere to receive immigrants either. It's just the biggest one who received the most.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Man, you gotta travel more. I speak Spanish and have been to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Peru, and Argentina and this couldn't be further from the truth. Mexico is your classic native-mestizo country, the DR is black and mulatto, Peru is mostly native, with some Mestizos and a huge Japanese/Chinese component (their most famous President was of Japanese ancestry), and Argentina is the Spanish speaking version of a British settler colony, where most people have European descent (though hugely Italian).

The only thing they all have in common is they all speak Spanish, and even there, the way they talk is completely different from one another. Rioplatense "Spanish" might as well be Italian, Carribean Spanish has a lot of Africanisms that never quite made it to English (look up Santeria), Mexican Spanish has more native words than most people realize, and a huge chunk of Peru doesn't even speak Spanish but Quechua or Aymara.

The USA isn't the only country in the Western Hemisphere to receive immigrants either. It's just the biggest one who received the most.
They mostly listen to the same music too. Reggaeton is king in pretty much all of the Spanish speaking world.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post

I think American culture probably is more diverse because there are so many people from all over the world here and more languages are spoken here. That said, the idea that Latin America isnt diverse is preposterous especially when considering the many indigenous cultures that exist there. Ive been fortunate enough to visit most of the nations in South America and every country in Central America as well as parts of Mexico. A place like Guatemala was extremely different from Honduras but had more in common with El Salvador. Panama and Colombia couldnt have been more different despite being neighbors.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:55 AM

724 posts, read 560,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
They mostly listen to the same music too. Reggaeton is king in pretty much all of the Spanish speaking world.
Nowadays yeah. And legitimately, that's thanks to the US. I think reggaeton got its start in the Bronx from Puerto Ricans.

What I found was more popular, especially in South America, was cumbia (which IIRC is from Panama or Colombia). And that weird depressing Argentine-Uruguayan rock that you hear a lot of in the Southern cone that you don't really hear in the Carribean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I think American culture probably is more diverse because there are so many people from all over the world here and more languages are spoken here. That said, the idea that Latin America isnt diverse is preposterous especially when considering the many indigenous cultures that exist there. Ive been fortunate enough to visit most of the nations in South America and every country in Central America as well as parts of Mexico. A place like Guatemala was extremely different from Honduras but had more in common with El Salvador. Panama and Colombia couldnt have been more different despite being neighbors.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with that. We're still receiving immigrants from around the world, while Latin America hasn't since WW2 ended. All the old immigrants have assimilated already, though Argentina still has some Italian communities still speaking Italian.

I do like the neo-indigenous revival going on in Guatemala and Bolivia, especially in the architectural styles.

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/02/07/fr...cture-bolivia/

If I had to see one more Cathedral again....man all those colonial era Cathedrals all look the same. Like a 17th century McDonalds.

Old 12-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Youre right, that was a gross oversight on my part. Here you go!

San Diego:
India: 15,273
China: 9,919
Filipino: 7,622
Vietnam: 5,854
Korea: 2,498
Japan: 882
Other Asia: -1,205
Wonderful job.

While I know you've been on it in this thread already. I'm wondering if you have the numbers the African Continent/ Middle East by country to each metro over 2013-2018?

Old 12-04-2019, 11:20 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Ill see if I cant pull that but city limits data is even more arbitrary than Metro Area data. Some cities are very similar in character but are a fraction of the size by comparison. It makes it much more apples and oranges. Metro areas arent perfect, but they do a better job of encompassing what we thing of as "the city".
i don't think city limits are arbitrary-at least not in the north. THat's why you have major demographic differences between the cities and the suburbs. Not at all arbitrary-i feel like that something people originally from suburban environments say more often than not...to feel "in the mix" or simply people in Southern and Western metros.

St. Louis Boston Philly NYC and many others have specific boundaries for very clear well-documented reason. You (maybe inadvertently) acknowledge this to some extent when you show us what percentage of what group lives within city proper. Not complaining-you're doing great work and its all very interesting but living i Bristol PA and saying you live in Philly isn't just something technicality-its inaccurate and disingenuous and you will get called out for it by Philadelphians. The further from the core city the more you drift from disingenuous to downright misleading because older cities and their burbs are often times very demographically, physically, and culturally disconnected-more so than for Sunbelt locales.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-04-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
i don't think city limits are arbitrary-at least not in the north. THat's why you have major demographic differences between the cities and the suburbs. Not at all arbitrary-i feel like that something people originally from suburban environments say more often than not...to feel "in the mix" or simply people in Southern and Western metros.

St. Louis Boston Philly NYC and many others have specific boundaries for very clear well-documented reason. You (maybe inadvertently) acknowledge this to some extent when you show us what percentage of what group lives within city proper. Not complaining-you're doing great work and its all very interesting but living i Bristol PA and saying you live in Philly isn't just something technicality-its inaccurate and disingenuous and you will get called out for it by Philadelphians. The further from the core city the more you drift from disingenuous to downright misleading because older cities and their burbs are often times very demographically, physically, and culturally disconnected-more so than for Sunbelt locales.
I do think that even in the Northeast, its more arbitrary simply because the anchor cities make up a small fraction of the urban areas. That said, since this is a thread on demographic data and city limits fall into that, I will dig it up. Probably be tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City