Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Where can I find the Caribbean numbers? I’m interested to see how Houston’s Caribbean numbers have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 03:55 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Where can I find the Caribbean numbers? I’m interested to see how Houston’s Caribbean numbers have changed.
Here you go. These numbers are foreign born population only. They dont include those born in the US:

Houston's Caribbean population as of 2018: 55,396
Cuba: 27,217
Jamaica: 7,618
Trinidad and Tobago: 7,078
Dominican Republic: 4,799
Haiti: 3,862

None of the others had more than 1,000

Houston's Caribbean population in 2013: 34,092
Cuba: 17,185
Trinidad and Tobago: 6,129
Jamaica: 4,396
Haiti: 1,710
Dominican Republic: 1,194

Old 12-06-2019, 05:38 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
That’s not what I meant. Sorry. I can see how what I said can be misunderstood.

I meant that the Hispanic culture encompasses every color in each respective Hispanic country. The Hispanic culture is more integrated than the American culture. For an example, an Afro Latino will fit in more with the white Hispanics in NYC than they will with black Americans, even though we come from the same people. In America, the black culture is a lot different than the white culture. I hope that makes sense.

I know that the Hispanic culture is different in each Latin country.
I dont know about all that.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:58 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Generally speaking, the Spaniards were far less race-conscious than the English were back in the days when both were scrambling to claim territory in the Western Hemisphere. They had far fewer qualms about mixing with both the indigenous peoples and the imported African labor.

The legacy of that difference is what SouthernBoy205 described. It wasn't universal - the Communist revolution in Cuba also represented an uprising of the darker-skinned Cubans against the much whiter elite - but it does generally apply, and even Afro-Cubans and Euro-Cubans behave more alike than different.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:29 AM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
That’s not what I meant. Sorry. I can see how what I said can be misunderstood.

I meant that the Hispanic culture encompasses every color in each respective Hispanic country. The Hispanic culture is more integrated than the American culture. For an example, an Afro Latino will fit in more with the white Hispanics in NYC than they will with black Americans, even though we come from the same people. In America, the black culture is a lot different than the white culture. I hope that makes sense.

I know that the Hispanic culture is different in each Latin country.
Ok that makes more sense. I think you have a point that compared to the US and Canada, they are relatively more integrated but there's definitely a class division there that is way more extreme than here, and that is nearly almost correlated with skin color. However, if you're of a certain socioeconomic strata, you generally communicate to those within your strata, even if the skin color is different

The Hispanics that end up in the US are all usually the lower middle class or below, so it makes sense that they have more in common with each other because they are from the same culture and most likely, socioeconomic strata.

Not to mention people generally feel more comfortable around those who speak their language than those who don't, no matter the color of their skin. This is more a human nature thing.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:32 PM

93,271 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Generally speaking, the Spaniards were far less race-conscious than the English were back in the days when both were scrambling to claim territory in the Western Hemisphere. They had far fewer qualms about mixing with both the indigenous peoples and the imported African labor.

The legacy of that difference is what SouthernBoy205 described. It wasn't universal - the Communist revolution in Cuba also represented an uprising of the darker-skinned Cubans against the much whiter elite - but it does generally apply, and even Afro-Cubans and Euro-Cubans behave more alike than different.
That first part has as much to do with options of the same race, given that many Spanish(and Portuguese) “settlers” were strictly male and in turn, they picked accordingly. So, there is another dynamic that comes into play as well.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:32 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Agreed. I know Afro Panamanians in NYC and they identify with black people (AAs and Caribbeans) more than Hispanics. With Dominicans I would say it depends how black looking they are.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:42 PM

189 posts, read 195,562 times
About Fairfax and Loudon County Virginia. Time to rename some of the cities:

Herndon = Hernduras
Reston = Reststanistan
Sterling = El Stervador

Old 12-06-2019, 01:57 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Ok that makes more sense. I think you have a point that compared to the US and Canada, they are relatively more integrated but there's definitely a class division there that is way more extreme than here, and that is nearly almost correlated with skin color. However, if you're of a certain socioeconomic strata, you generally communicate to those within your strata, even if the skin color is different

The Hispanics that end up in the US are all usually the lower middle class or below, so it makes sense that they have more in common with each other because they are from the same culture and most likely, socioeconomic strata.

Not to mention people generally feel more comfortable around those who speak their language than those who don't, no matter the color of their skin. This is more a human nature thing.
There is some truth to that because the Latino neighborhoods in NYC tend to have a mix of Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Ecuadorians

Old 12-06-2019, 02:55 PM

724 posts, read 560,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Agreed. I know Afro Panamanians in NYC and they identify with black people (AAs and Caribbeans) more than Hispanics. With Dominicans I would say it depends how black looking they are.
Many Afro-Panamanians aren't descended from Spanish slaves, but Jamaican workers who came to work on the Panama Canal. Many of the Jamaicans who were left behind kept their English names and still speak English, making assimilating into AA culture that much easier.

https://blogs.iadb.org/caribbean-dev...-panama-canal/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City