Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pennsylvania v. Illinois (2020s)
Pennsylvania 59 73.75%
Illinois 21 26.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 12:27 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
there is no match,

Now with the biggest Starbucks in the World, and Weed legal (Jan. 2020) is game over + add still yet affordable homes with good paying jobs is American Dream

Also, PA liquor laws are horrendous
You must have not been to Pennsylvania for years. The laws have been greatly amended. You can buy wine and beer in grocery stores now. Even certain gas stations have begun sales.

Most corner stores. You know those jawns you walk to at the end of your block that serves sandwiches and beverages also sell beer and wine to go.

Plus we have a BYOB culture which is incredible. Bring your own bottle of booze to an amazing restaurant and you save $$$$$.

Worst booze state is Mass. Happy Hours are illegal there. No beuno.

Currently the Governor and Attorney General and State Auditor General are all pushing for full recreational marijuana legalization in the state.

And ugh. We have the nations most history. America was founded here. So you can keep your Starbucks. We have La Colombe. Far superior. That is from Pennsylvania. I know they have a location in Chicago. So your point?

With that, I do think Chicago is an amazing city. I am just trying to understand your logic points on why IL > PA.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 11-21-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 04:08 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Cities --- IL > PA
Overall state --- IL < PA

I really am not interested in living in either Pittsburgh or Philly, but I love Chicago.

This, so Illinois wins for me.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Outside Chicago Illinois is IMO one of the most boring states. It loses purely based on that.
Apparently you have never been to Eastern Colorado... Agriculture square miles blocks aren't the best, but it can get worse than that.

Pennsylvania is a great state, and seems to be one of C-D's favorite states, but it does seem like Illinois gets a little unfairly bashed. People moan about the taxes, but downstate doesn't seem to have a particularly burdensome rate structure compared to Iowa or MN. Chicago, for all it's problems, is the only livable (at least for a family) truly big city in the US. The southern part looks more scenic than it's given credit for, having a mix of cypress swamp and temperate deciduous forested hills. And the central part has probably some of the best looking small city centers in the US.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Chicago, for all it's problems, is the only livable (at least for a family) truly big city in the US.
This is a really good point that never gets touched on in C/D.

The unspoken rule since the 1980's has been move to a megaburbia type city for family life. The cities that have the high culture and big amenities-hey nice to visit, but you can't live there right?

Rust belt cities are the only places that break this rule, with Chicago obviously being the biggest.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
This is precisely what makes the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania side suburbs the top 3 in the nation. Philadelphia is a legacy transit city, and the suburbs were built along train lines and feature many quaint walkable towns and villages from which older beautiful tree lined suburbs are located with much character and natural beauty. Many of the suburbs just miles from the city, feel as if you are living the countryside. It is not a generic concrete jungle, yet an area filled with true natural beauty and an abundance of beautiful old stone architecture with a very colonial/English feel.

It is actually incredible.
Do you have any verification of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamenVChicago View Post
Cities --- IL > PA
Overall state --- IL < PA

I really am not interested in living in either Pittsburgh or Philly, but I love Chicago.

If Illinois didn't have so many financial problems... there's a good chance cities like Peoria, Springfield, and Bloomington would all be booming right now. I say this because, well, just look at all the college towns/mid sized cities in the surrounding states; Columbia, MO, Madison, WI, Lafayette, IN, Iowa City...... they're all growing in population at a consistent rate. It's kind of unfortunate that just being in the same state as Chicago, these smaller/mid sized cities are being neglected for growth. It's sort of the same problem many cities in upstate NY are facing.
Champaign is the home of the flagship university in Illinois (UIUC) and is more the equivalent of these other cities than any you listed. Well, like Madison, Springfield is the state capital, but it doesn't have a flagship u.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:11 AM

817 posts, read 597,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The two states are NOT anywhere near similar in terms of politics. Illinois is heavily Democrat, and has a significant pension problem that is driving people out of the state.

PA is pretty much a toss up state (like Florida) politically nowadays, and doesn't have anywhere near the same financial problems Illinois has.

PA voted for Trump. The possibility of IL voting for Trump is about the same possibility as pigs flying.

This reads like an extremely loaded post. Obviously PA beats IL in scenery, politics, and COL. No reason to even debate those things. So why even ask opinions on those things? Sounds like you have your answer already.

JJBradley's post sums it up. PA wins on every front. So not really worth a thread. We all know the poll will end up with a 10:1 or 100:1 ratio of PA winning.
And the chance of Trump winning Pennsylvania in 2020 is also roughly that of pigs flying.

Florida, on the other hand, may very well be low hanging fruit for Trump.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:03 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
I think PA is poised for a big decade coming up for some reason. I sense a growing interest in the preservation and recognition of PA's abundant natural areas and continued revitalization of its two big cities. For example, the Laurel Highlands area is becoming increasingly recognized for its beauty and recreational opportunities. I think if PA focuses on infrastructure, transit, environmental protection and diversification of economy, it will flourish in the 2020s.

I love Chicago, one of my favorite US Cities by far, but when looking at states as a whole I have to give PA the easy win.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:08 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I think PA is poised for a big decade coming up for some reason. I sense a growing interest in the preservation and recognition of PA's abundant natural areas and continued revitalization of its two big cities. For example, the Laurel Highlands area is becoming increasingly recognized for its beauty and recreational opportunities. I think if PA focuses on infrastructure, transit, environmental protection and diversification of economy, it will flourish in the 2020s.

I love Chicago, one of my favorite US Cities by far, but when looking at states as a whole I have to give PA the easy win.
That's a lot to need to focus on in the future for PA to have the “easy win.” Honestly, I think most people are just picking PA because it’s a prettier state.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:29 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
there is no match,

Now with the biggest Starbucks in the World, and Weed legal (Jan. 2020) is game over + add still yet affordable homes with good paying jobs is American Dream

Also, PA liquor laws are horrendous

Ha! Starbucks. So, I guess you're a huge drinker because the PA laws are fine, and have loosened up a lot the past ten years or so.

PA is positioned in the middle of the East Coast megalopolis. The economic, and employment opportunities are huge as not only is Philadelphia there, but NYC, Baltimore and DC aren't far either. IL is positioned where?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:38 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
That's a lot to need to focus on in the future for PA to have the “easy win.” Honestly, I think most people are just picking PA because it’s a prettier state.
As they sit now, PA already has an easy win as a state. It's focus though the 2020s will only propel it. Yes, its also a much "prettier" state, with abundant natural resources that IL just doesn't have. Again, Chicago is probably one of if not my favorite city in the country, but we're talking about states and I don't think IL has a chance in this race. Pilly and Pittsburgh are also excellent cities, so combining them together + PAs natural resources and history puts it well ahead of IL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City