Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Northeast State Would You Choose?
Maine 14 8.86%
New Hampshire 15 9.49%
Vermont 10 6.33%
Massachusetts 21 13.29%
Rhode Island 3 1.90%
Connecticut 5 3.16%
New York 31 19.62%
Pennsylvania 46 29.11%
New Jersey 13 8.23%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 06:00 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times

Advertisements

Massachusetts, would be ny choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yeah, a lot of people are trying to imply now that PA isn't in the Northeast because our state voted for Trump.
Oh how they forget New Hanpshire’s swing politics. They were .04 off from a Republican swing in ‘16. Pennsylvania is cut and dry Northeastern despite our purplish hue.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:47 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
My friend in Philly says something similar, though he divides it between east PA and west PA. Apparently, people around Philly consider the west part of the state to be very different. To them, Pittsburg is Midwestern, geographically and culturally, not northeastern.
Pittsburgh (and Buffalo, NY) can be classified and share characteristics with the upper Midwest Rustbelt cities. And Western PA (and Western NY) share characteristics with Ohio. But still, as a state, PA is absolutely in the Northeast (just like New York).

Old 12-29-2019, 10:42 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
We love Maine, especially in the winter. We were house hunting there for a couple of years but so far have been unable to find what we're looking for. I'd love to see it in the fall.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 1,301 times
Angry None of them, getting out of Vermont as soon as possible

Anyone choosing to move to the northeast must be VERY rich, VERY liberal or out of their minds. I am a life long Vermonter and I’m embarrassed to say so. The liberals have destroyed everything New England could have been. The very rich have invaded and pushed the price of property and especially taxes so high that regular Vermonters can’t afford to live here and many have already left, others have moved back home because they can’t survive. All throughout Vermont, New York and New Hampshire they are closing prisons, and letting crime go unchecked, many places will not prosecute those who shop lift from stores if the value is under 1k dollars, the DUI laws are so cumbersome the offenders are on the street before the cops finish the paperwork. And speaking of police the State police is only 75% or so manned and is the same for most cities, no one here wants the job because of the anti police attitude, We have great parks, ski areas and recreation here owned by large corporations who make all the money, but we can’t fix the infrastructure, sewer plants are 30 years out dated, water and sewer has not been updated since I was a kid 60 years ago, we have the worst cell service in the nation, not because the service isn’t here, but because the rich who have moved here from NY, CT, MA, NJ, RI and the rest of the most expensive places to live in New England will not allow cell towers because it ruins the view. People here don’t want to work because welfare pays more, an example, my son worked for Delta Airline and needed to hire 6 people, out of 40 or so applicants 30 failed the drug test the rest were on welfare and only wanted to work 16 hours or less just so they could get flight benefits. New England is becoming a place exclusively for America’s wealthy. Many drug king pins run their operations from here because of Vermont’s lax laws and refusal to cooperate with Federal agencies. I used to think California was the most liberal place on the planet, but Vermont has even USC BERKLEY beaten hands down. Don’t get me wrong I don’t care what your political affiliation is you are entitled to your opinion, I spent 28 years in the military protecting your right, but I can’t live in a place where you are harassed and badgered if you don’t follow the liberal ideology. I believe the not only black lives matter but ALL lives matter. If you don’t agree here in VT you will be prosecuted for a hate crime, but if you plot to shoot up a school and take positive steps to carry out the attack you will NOT be prosecuted. We had no less than 7 attacks that were foiled mere hours before the attack could be carried out. NOT ONE of the people poised to carry out the attack was prosecuted and only one saw the inside of a jail cell in protective custody. I know too many elderly here who won’t vote because they #1fear anyone finding out they are conservative or Republican and #2 feel their opinion doesn’t count because liberal from outside Vermont have moved here and taken over VT politics. I can’t live in a place that is so anti military that they would spend hundreds of thousands to keep the F-35 fighter out of Vermont. Even to the point we’re a retired Air Force Colonel in uniform would spread absolute lies to instill fear in the public. I’m well educated, I read and watch and research all I can, I don’t trust ANY of the media and I’m no fan of the current administration except for the stock market policies. So if you are a millionaire, or if you want to live on welfare, are a drug dealer, or are ultra liberal and want to feel the bern than Vermont is for you and your welcome to it.

Old 01-02-2020, 11:52 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmauro55 View Post
Anyone choosing to move to the northeast must be VERY rich, VERY liberal or out of their minds. I am a life long Vermonter and I’m embarrassed to say so. The liberals have destroyed everything New England could have been. The very rich have invaded and pushed the price of property and especially taxes so high that regular Vermonters can’t afford to live here and many have already left, others have moved back home because they can’t survive. All throughout Vermont, New York and New Hampshire they are closing prisons, and letting crime go unchecked, many places will not prosecute those who shop lift from stores if the value is under 1k dollars, the DUI laws are so cumbersome the offenders are on the street before the cops finish the paperwork. And speaking of police the State police is only 75% or so manned and is the same for most cities, no one here wants the job because of the anti police attitude, We have great parks, ski areas and recreation here owned by large corporations who make all the money, but we can’t fix the infrastructure, sewer plants are 30 years out dated, water and sewer has not been updated since I was a kid 60 years ago, we have the worst cell service in the nation, not because the service isn’t here, but because the rich who have moved here from NY, CT, MA, NJ, RI and the rest of the most expensive places to live in New England will not allow cell towers because it ruins the view. People here don’t want to work because welfare pays more, an example, my son worked for Delta Airline and needed to hire 6 people, out of 40 or so applicants 30 failed the drug test the rest were on welfare and only wanted to work 16 hours or less just so they could get flight benefits. New England is becoming a place exclusively for America’s wealthy. Many drug king pins run their operations from here because of Vermont’s lax laws and refusal to cooperate with Federal agencies. I used to think California was the most liberal place on the planet, but Vermont has even USC BERKLEY beaten hands down. Don’t get me wrong I don’t care what your political affiliation is you are entitled to your opinion, I spent 28 years in the military protecting your right, but I can’t live in a place where you are harassed and badgered if you don’t follow the liberal ideology. I believe the not only black lives matter but ALL lives matter. If you don’t agree here in VT you will be prosecuted for a hate crime, but if you plot to shoot up a school and take positive steps to carry out the attack you will NOT be prosecuted. We had no less than 7 attacks that were foiled mere hours before the attack could be carried out. NOT ONE of the people poised to carry out the attack was prosecuted and only one saw the inside of a jail cell in protective custody. I know too many elderly here who won’t vote because they #1fear anyone finding out they are conservative or Republican and #2 feel their opinion doesn’t count because liberal from outside Vermont have moved here and taken over VT politics. I can’t live in a place that is so anti military that they would spend hundreds of thousands to keep the F-35 fighter out of Vermont. Even to the point we’re a retired Air Force Colonel in uniform would spread absolute lies to instill fear in the public. I’m well educated, I read and watch and research all I can, I don’t trust ANY of the media and I’m no fan of the current administration except for the stock market policies. So if you are a millionaire, or if you want to live on welfare, are a drug dealer, or are ultra liberal and want to feel the bern than Vermont is for you and your welcome to it.
Whats crazy is this is how a lot of people really feel about the northeast

Old 01-02-2020, 11:37 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
[quote=Pmauro55;56977593] People here don’t want to work because welfare pays more, an example, my son worked for Delta Airline and needed to hire 6 people, out of 40 or so applicants 30 failed the drug test the rest were on welfare and only wanted to work 16 hours or less just so they could get flight benefits. New England is becoming a place exclusively for America’s wealthy. /QUOTE]

Im not going to tackle this, but the Delta comment is a lot wrong. I highly doubt whether it be flight attendants, pilots or gate agents, only 40 people applied to a position in the field. You can tell how many people apply to each position and whether it be Burlington VT, Boston, JFK or BWI for the northeast, each position gets hundreds of applications... and for F/A's, thousands. Also, in the first round of interviews (Legacy airlines conduct 2-3 rounds), it clearly highlights the position overview of hours required to work (20 is the minimum at Delta). Im assuming this is ground handling/ramp agent positions? My whole family works in the business, AA, exTWA, exEastern --> Delta, exPan Am --> Delta.. and for an airline as desireable as DL to work for, every station is considerably competitive. Right now at PWM theres a waitlist longer than 20 people to get into the station.

Back on point, I dont think the work ethic comment holds truth, because unless this was a ramp position there is not enough truth to hold about the work ethic in the Northeast. The hardest workers Ive met were from the Northeast. A lot of your post is extremely bias and misleading.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:38 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmauro55 View Post
You're well educated, you read and research all you can, but you write like this? Me thinks not as much as you think....

Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Pittsburgh (and Buffalo, NY) can be classified and share characteristics with the upper Midwest Rustbelt cities. And Western PA (and Western NY) share characteristics with Ohio. But still, as a state, PA is absolutely in the Northeast (just like New York).

What characteristics does Ohio share with western NY and PA, besides being near a great lake? I'd say the thinking is kind of reversed. A slice of Ohio may share some characteristics with NY and PA. Since NY and PA were settled first. But I think for example that western NY and PA share more characteristics with middle and western Maryland, than they do with Ohio. Central and western Ohio are not much at all like NY or PA, IMO

Old 01-06-2020, 05:42 AM

836 posts, read 851,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I don't really consider the state of Pennsylvania a northeastern state anymore. Philadelphia certainly has a northeast vibe but the rest of the state is very different.
Why, because of Trump? The point of the matter is this: PA is a part of the NE whether you like it or not, geography dictates where it's at and it's the NE. There was a time when NJ and CT both voted Republican until 1992 when Clinton ran, and now both states lean Democrat. PA may lean Dem soon, but right now, it's a purple state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City