Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:39 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the laugh!!..it’s all the retirees clubbing it in South Beach until 4AM, attending Art Basel, hitting the beach in SoFla, St Pete, the Keys etc, dining at Thomas Keller’s Surf Club or Bern’s, etc etc , attending Ultra, going to the pool parties at SLS, chasing the hot young Latinas and Russians. Evidently you need to get out of your grandparents retirement community more often when you visit and/or check out different cities in the state. I didn’t realize Philly also spoke for much bigger NY metro area or New England. I suppose it was only retirees who moved to FL last year (including foreigners)—state that gained the most new residents last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
CA:
Beverly Hills
Extreme Excess
Extreme Sprawl
Traffic
Orange County
San Fran
Liberal
Sonoma
Ugly Sprawling Development

FL:
Crazy people
Uneducated
Miami
South Beach
Sprawling development
Lots of old people
Everglades
Alligators
Orlando

Personally CA > FL. Unless you are a retiree most younger people in the Northeast (at least in PHL) have a negative perception of FL and tend to make fun of it.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2019 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:52 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Thanks for the laugh!!..it’s all the retirees clubbing it in South Beach until 4AM, attending Art Basel, hitting the beach in SoFla, St Pete, the Keys etc, dining at Thomas Keller’s Surf Club or Bern’s, etc etc , attending Ultra, going to the pool parties at SLS, chasing the hot young Latinas and Russians. Evidently you need to get out of your grandparents retirement community more often when you visit and/or check out different cities in the state. I didn’t realize Philly also spoke for much bigger NY metro area or New England. I suppose it was only retirees who moved to FL last year (including foreigners)—state that gained the most new residents last year.

No doubt Miami is a fun place to visit. But Miami is not the entire state. And overall most of the Miami metro outside of South Beach just is not that aesthetically pleasing. As I said most in the Northeast tend to make fun of FL. And yes you can believe it that a big majority of those migrants are retirees. Florida is #1 for old people in the USA.

The whole "Florida Man" thing is definitely a joke that has reality. You all have some crazys down there.

California > Florida

I've been to Miami. It's fun no doubt. But the stereotypes of Florida in the Northeast are generally negative and lean on the side of making fun of the state.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Agree there are plenty of retirees here (though New Mexico tops FL percent of population wise and who wants to deal with winter and excessive taxes with SALT limitations—look at all the athletes and celebrities who have established primary residency here), but besides Miami the Tampa/St Pete area has its share of youth with the colleges and its beaches—some of the best in the country, not just state, and Orlando..

Florida man and stupid things are common and deserved but we don’t have a monopoly on it and I would remind you CA has had its share of fruits and nuts in its history —Manson, Menendez brothers, Octomom, Richard Ramirez, OJ and the Bronco chase, Michael Jackson, Rodney King, Sirhan Sirhan/RFK assassination, Patti Hearst/SLA, freeway shootings, etc. etc.

The FL stereotypes might be bad in Philly (which has its own reputation), but I assure you the image among the big gorilla in the region—New York metro—is much more positive as evidenced by the number of ex NY’ers living here, such as myself (and I’m also an ex Californian who moved here by choice). One reputation FL does not have is being an epicenter for the homeless problem —we have some here, but nothing like our brethren on the West Coast and some Northeast cities. In short, I’ll take the few heralded nut jobs—who tend to live in redneck areas of the state I will never frequent—in exchange for a clean, modern and growing Cosmopolitan urban area with warm ocean year round minus the homeless magnitude, lousy infrastructure (mainly roads and water mains), and high taxes.

In either case, CA and FL tends to attract dreamers—best to make sure you have a job, career or family inheritance that allows you to enjoy and afford the lifestyle.

Quote:
No doubt Miami is a fun place to visit. But Miami is not the entire state. And overall most of the Miami metro outside of South Beach just is not that aesthetically pleasing. As I said most in the Northeast tend to make fun of FL. And yes you can believe it that a big majority of those migrants are retirees. Florida is #1 for old people in the USA.

The whole "Florida Man" thing is definitely a joke that has reality. You all have some crazys down there.

California > Florida

I've been to Miami. It's fun no doubt. But the stereotypes of Florida in the Northeast are generally negative and lean on the side of making fun of the state.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

California > Florida

Miami isn’t the only place that has that sort of vibe. Orlando may be half the size, but is also similar, and definitely not a hotbed for retirees. Orlando MSA and Miami MSA make up 1/3 of the state population. The perception that Florida is mainly a magnet for retirees isn’t all that accurate.

Gators, crazy people, sprawl, tourism, sure.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 12-11-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:51 AM

And Jacksonville (besides the already mentioned Orlando and Tampa/St Pete).

FL probably has the worst drivers in the nation.

Difference between CA and FL Latinos: In CA they proudly identify themselves as Latino...in FL, unless they are black, the South Americans and especially Cubans identify themselves as White.

One other distinction—with the exception of a 3-4 day/month Santa Ana in CA I found it too cold to sunbathe at the beach there from Dec - March (showing up in a sweatshirt to play volleyball is not sunbathing). In South Florida the exception of me NOT sunbathing during that same time frame is the fluke once a month, 2-3 day Canadian cold front.

FL may have its share of lesser educated though it also has its share of ultra wealthy.

Pedestrians: in CA they are treated like an endangered species; in FL they are viewed as speed bumps—best to assume a car will not stop for you.

Areas within both states place a high priority on appearance with those in CA more likely to surgically enhance their tops whereas those in FL more likely to surgically enhance their bottoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Miami isn’t the only place that has that sort of vibe. Orlando may be half the size, but is also similar, and definitely not a hotbed for retirees. Orlando MSA and Miami MSA make up 1/3 of the state population. The perception that Florida is mainly a magnet for retirees isn’t all that accurate.

Gators, crazy people, sprawl, tourism, sure.

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM

3,150 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Other than the humidity (which eases up earlier in the fall compared to other parts of the state), Tallahassee is pretty much as incongruent with the cited Florida stereotypes as it gets. Likewise Bakersfield defies the California stereotypes (aside from its substantial Hispanic population).

Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And Jacksonville (besides the already mentioned Orlando and Tampa/St Pete).

FL probably has the worst drivers in the nation.

Difference between CA and FL Latinos: In CA they proudly identify themselves as Latino...in FL, unless they are black, the South Americans and especially Cubans identify themselves as White.

One other distinction—with the exception of a 3-4 day/month Santa Ana in CA I found it too cold to sunbathe at the beach there from Dec - March (showing up in a sweatshirt to play volleyball is not sunbathing). In South Florida the exception of me NOT sunbathing during that same time frame is the fluke once a month, 2-3 day Canadian cold front.

FL may have its share of lesser educated though it also has its share of ultra wealthy.

Pedestrians: in CA they are treated like an endangered species; in FL they are viewed as speed bumps—best to assume a car will not stop for you.

Areas within both states place a high priority on appearance with those in CA more likely to surgically enhance their tops whereas those in FL more likely to surgically enhance their bottoms.
I highly doubt South Americans in Florida identify as white

Old 12-11-2019, 01:30 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
I guess I neglected to mention that Hawaii is a universally loved sunny beach state. I don't think it's more similar to one than the others though because it just seems kindof disconnected from the rest of the US.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I think a false stereotype is that California is warm year round, good luck getting through 2/3 of the year wearing a t-shirt. Central Coast during Spring it can get down to mid 30s at night.
I also think most non west coasters assume the waters not going to be uncomfortablely cold in the summer.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:02 PM

I have had several correct me and go out of their way to do so here in Miami. Was news to me when I moved here. A few years old but these articles seem relevant (though I never encountered this out West).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...white.amp.html

https://www.cnn.com/2014/05/29/opini...ess/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I highly doubt South Americans in Florida identify as white

Last edited by elchevere; 12-11-2019 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City