Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will meet hype and emerge as a major urban metro?
Nashville 16 27.12%
Austin 26 44.07%
Columbus 5 8.47%
Raleigh 2 3.39%
Jacksonville 1 1.69%
Indianapolis 5 8.47%
Louisville 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 11:36 AM

592 posts, read 591,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I highly disagree with that statement. Coming from Canada, I can assure you that the vast majority of people right next door know little to nothing about Nashville. Let alone people from Moldova.
Not true at all.. As someone who works in the tourism industry I can assure you that many.. Canadians know of Nashville and visit quite frequently. Many are from Toronto, Montreal and even Saskatchewan. Not too sure about Moldova.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:39 AM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Not true at all.. As someone who works in the tourism industry I can assure you that many.. Canadians know of Nashville and visit quite frequently. Many are from Toronto, Montreal and even Saskatchewan. Not too sure about Moldova.
If you say so... I'm just going to agree to disagree, ESPECIALLY on the Montreal part. Ask someone from Montreal about Nashville, and their answer will probably only be related to the Predators. More than likely, they won't even know what state it's in, let alone anything else about the city. It's a nationally-recognized city for sure, but globally, not at all.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
If you say so... I'm just going to agree to disagree, ESPECIALLY on the Montreal part. Ask someone from Montreal about Nashville, and their answer will probably only be related to the Predators. More than likely, they won't even know what state it's in, let alone anything else about the city. It's a nationally-recognized city for sure, but globally, not at all.
Can agree to disagree all you want but doesn't change the facts. I'll see if I can pull the data.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Can agree to disagree all you want but doesn't change the facts. I'll see if I can pull the data.
The facts on what? I'm from there. Pull all of the tourist data you want, this doesn't change the knowledge that locals there have of the city. "Nashville Predators," and if they're into country music, "Country music." That's all they know about it. What else is there that will lure global tourists to visit?
It's not just Nashville... Most Canadians also don't know anything about where I currently live (Orlando) aside from Disney. They don't even know that there's an actual bustling city 15 miles to the North. To them, Florida is Miami Beach, WPB and Disney World.

We can't go around calling these mid-sized cities "global cities" just because they hold some national clout.

I know of a handful of people from Montreal who went to Nashville a year or two ago, and it was to see PK Subban play against the Montreal Canadiens, when he was in Nashville.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
The facts on what? I'm from there. Pull all of the tourist data you want, this doesn't change the knowledge that locals there have of the city. "Nashville Predators," and if they're into country music, "Country music." That's all they know about it. What else is there that will lure global tourists to visit?

I know of a handful of people from Montreal who went to Nashville a year or two ago, and it was to see PK Subban play against the Montreal Canadiens, when he was in Nashville.
You made the statement "most Canadians know next to little of nothing about Nashville" as if you knew what every Canadian thinks. As someone who's in the tourism industry I'm letting you know your claim is false and this can be be backed up by data. Not sure what's hard to understand.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You made the statement "most Canadians know next to little of nothing about Nashville" as if you knew what every Canadian thinks. As someone who's in the tourism, I'm letting you know your claim is false and this get be backed up by data. Not sure what's hard to understand.
I don't know "what every Canadian thinks."
I'm pretty sure though, being from there, I know more than someone who isn't from there.
What's tourist data going to show? That SOME Canadians travel to Nashville? Some Canadians also travel to Des Moines. That doesn't make it a global city.

I stand by my statement: Most Canadians know little to nothing about Nashville.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I don't know "what every Canadian thinks."
I'm pretty sure though, being from there, I know more than someone who isn't from there.
What's tourist data going to show? That SOME Canadians travel to Nashville? Some Canadians also travel to Des Moines. That doesn't make it a global city.

I stand by my statement: Most Canadians know little to nothing about Nashville.
Never said Nashville is a 'global city' but I can assure you, more people know more about Nashville than you think and the tourism numbers reflect this. I don't have to be a Canadian citizen to know this, when the data is there. It would stand to reason that if there are many people from different countries visiting a place, then they'd have a general idea of it.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
This thread has gone way off track. Time to shut it down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City