Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will meet hype and emerge as a major urban metro?
Nashville 16 27.12%
Austin 26 44.07%
Columbus 5 8.47%
Raleigh 2 3.39%
Jacksonville 1 1.69%
Indianapolis 5 8.47%
Louisville 4 6.78%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 04:51 PM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times

Advertisements

Well this thread derailed in the 20 minutes I left to eat

Old 12-11-2019, 04:53 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Not city on this list has light rail just FYI.
True, but for comparison, a number of these have other transit initiatives currently in FTA project development:
Raleigh: 2 BRT lines
Jacksonville: 1 BRT lines
Indianapolis: 2 BRT lines

https://www.transit.dot.gov/funding/...t-cig-projects

Austin has Metrorail (commuter) and Columbus received FTA funding for a BRT. Nashville hasn't done much and I'm not familiar with Louisville.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:54 PM

592 posts, read 591,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
True, but for comparison, a number of these have other transit initiatives currently in FTA project development:

Austin has Metrorail (commuter) and Columbus received FTA funding for a BRT. Nashville hasn't done much and I'm not familiar with Louisville.
Nashville has both a commuter rail(Music city star) and BRT(lite). Might wanna research a bit more.

https://www.rtarelaxandride.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash...nsit_Authority

Old 12-11-2019, 04:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Nashville is consolidated city county(526 square miles) which over 50 percent is undevelopable terrain which can affect its density numbers.
Sounds like Jacksonville...

Old 12-11-2019, 04:55 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Yeah, but it's funny you singled out Nashville for this very reason.
They might have avoided being singled out by toning down the massive hype. Might want to have these things in place before declaring yourself an heir to the throne of an entire region.

Columbus and Raleigh failed at this also, but they are a bit more modest.

I believe Indy has some kind of ordinance against building any (which is perfectly fine), and will focus on BRT. Good for them!

Austin has a commuter rail which seems to be mimicking a metro rail with possible BRT connections.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:57 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post

Nashville also has a commuter rail line, FWIW.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
They might have avoided being singled out by toning down the massive hype. Might want to have these things in place before declaring yourself an heir to the throne of an entire region.

Columbus and Raleigh failed at this also, but they are a bit more modest.

I believe Indy has some kind of ordinance against building any (which is perfectly fine), and will focus on BRT. Good for them!

Austin has a commuter rail which seems to be mimicking a metro rail with possible BRT connections.
Can't control boosters. Can control objectivity. Not saying Nashville doesn't have it's issues, transit being a major one, however I'd say it does get a lot of undue flack on these forums, especially from people who don't take time to research the places they're comparing.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Can't control boosters. Can control objectivity. Not saying Nashville doesn't have it's issues, transit being a major one, however I'd say it does get a lot of undue flack on these forums, especially from people who don't take time to research the places they're comparing.
Overhype can and will invite "undue flack." It's growing at an impressive rate, as are other sunbelt cities.

If I started "boosting" the city I live in (Orlando) as "coming for Miami and Atlanta" and being the future "it" city of the South, best believe I'd be well advised to expect all sorts of "flack" as well.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
True, without the overhype one could even say Nashville beat Austin (who also failed with light rail) to the punch with commuter rail. But we are where we are.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Overhype can and will invite "undue flack." It's growing at an impressive rate, as are other sunbelt cities.

If I started "boosting" the city I live in (Orlando) as "coming for Miami and Atlanta" and being the future "it" city of the South, best believe I'd be well advised to expect all sorts of "flack" as well.
Yeah, the boosterism can be a bit exacerbating, especially when some it is obviously facetious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City