Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo vs Windsor
Buffalo 22 52.38%
Windsor 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 08:11 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I think the Windsor vs. Buffalo comparison is a legitimate one.

They're both border cities with close ties to larger Metros - Windsor to Detroit; Buffalo to Toronto. And they're also both rust belt cities that have experienced tremendous hardship (and bad reputations), and are trying to reinvent themselves, aspirations with which they've both had some success. It works.
I wouldn't call Windsor rust-belt. I haven't visited Windsor yet but streetviewed it extensively, with the expectation of it being similar to Detroit, but its condition is way too good to be considered rust-belt. There is pretty much no crime either which is remarkable considering its proximity to Detroit. Buffalo most definitively is rust-belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 03:41 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wouldn't call Windsor rust-belt. I haven't visited Windsor yet but streetviewed it extensively, with the expectation of it being similar to Detroit, but its condition is way too good to be considered rust-belt. There is pretty much no crime either which is remarkable considering its proximity to Detroit. Buffalo most definitively is rust-belt.
Windsor is an auto manufacturing city, like Detroit. So, that is likely what they are referring to.

Old 12-26-2019, 12:46 AM

394 posts, read 597,855 times
Windsor is growing at over 2% a year which would make it one of the fastest growing cities in the US...….…..hardly rust belt. The city is diversifying and it's relatively moderate climate {compared to the rest of Canada}, affordable housing, and low crime rate is drawing Torontonians.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:09 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,838,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
It's the Canadian definition of "rust belt.".

Old 12-26-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Windsor is growing at over 2% a year which would make it one of the fastest growing cities in the US...….…..hardly rust belt. The city is diversifying and it's relatively moderate climate {compared to the rest of Canada}, affordable housing, and low crime rate is drawing Torontonians.
Yes, it is rust belt. Again, within a Canadian context.

Windsor hasn't always enjoyed the kind of growth and rejuvenation, it, like many other cities, including in the rust belt, is now experiencing. Since it's an auto industry town closely tied to Detroit, it's had boom and bust cycles similar to the Big D's, and, within Ontario at least, a similar reputation for being a gritty, blue-collar town, just like my hometown of Hamilton, ON.

Old 12-26-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Windsor is an auto manufacturing city, like Detroit. So, that is likely what they are referring to.
Correct.

Old 12-26-2019, 01:16 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Windsor

Been to both many times.

With Windsor you get the benefits of being in Canada...
most know what they are...lower crime/gun violence...better social safety net...etc
and you are next door to a huge city...Detroit ...with big league sports and entertainment,
if you live next to the river..Detroit looms large and close, you can pretend you live there.

Also a better climate...sounds weird saying a Canadian city having a better climate
than an American city...but it's true!

Windsor is about 1 degree farther south than Buffalo...42N compared with 43N...
Detroit is even technically slightly farther north, you know the old joke...
what is south of Detroit?...Canada

Buffalo is on the "wrong" end of Lake Erie...gets tons of lake effect snow.
If you need to be on Lake Erie...you can live in Windsor's southern suburb, Amherstburg.

As others have pointed out, Windsor receives way less snow,
averages 42 inches annually, compared to Buffalo's 95 inches ...that's even slightly more than Ottawa or Montreal.

Warmer all year round...better springs in particular, Lake Erie acts as a giant fridge, delaying the spring warm up. Windsor is more like the Midwest, Detroit/Chicago.

Quick comparison...

Buffalo...………..Windsor
31/18.....JAN....33/21
33/ 19....FEB....37/23
42/26.....MAR....46/29
55/37.....APR.....59/39
66/47.....MAY.....70/50
75/57.....JUN......81/60
80/62.....JUL...….84/65
78/61.....AUG.....82/64
71/53.....SEP......76/56
59/43.....OCT......62/45
48/34.....NOV......50/36
36/24.....DEC...….38/26

Average annual precipitation ...41" Buffalo......34" Windsor

Last edited by BMI; 12-26-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 03:24 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Windsor

Been to both many times.

With Windsor you get the benefits of being in Canada...
most know what they are...lower crime/gun violence...better social safety net...etc
and you are next door to a huge city...Detroit ...with big league sports and entertainment,
if you live next to the river..Detroit looms large and close, you can pretend you live there.

Also a better climate...sounds weird saying a Canadian city having a better climate
than an American city...but it's true!

Windsor is about 1 degree farther south than Buffalo...42N compared with 43N...
Detroit is even technically slightly farther north, you know the old joke...
what is south of Detroit?...Canada

Buffalo is on the "wrong" end of Lake Erie...gets tons of lake effect snow.
If you need to be on Lake Erie...you can live in Windsor's southern suburb, Amherstburg.

As others have pointed out, Windsor receives way less snow,
averages 42 inches annually, compared to Buffalo's 95 inches ...that's even slightly more than Ottawa or Montreal.

Warmer all year round...better springs in particular, Lake Erie acts as a giant fridge, delaying the spring warm up. Windsor is more like the Midwest, Detroit/Chicago.

Quick comparison...

Buffalo...………..Windsor
31/18.....JAN....33/21
33/ 19....FEB....37/23
42/26.....MAR....46/29
55/37.....APR.....59/39
66/47.....MAY.....70/50
75/57.....JUN......81/60
80/62.....JUL...….84/65
78/61.....AUG.....82/64
71/53.....SEP......76/56
59/43.....OCT......62/45
48/34.....NOV......50/36
36/24.....DEC...….38/26

Average annual precipitation ...41" Buffalo......34" Windsor
Most of the higher snowfall totals in the Buffalo area are south of the city, with areas north of the city getting less on average.

I guess at least with Buffalo, you have Lake Ontario also within minutes of the city as well.

Old 12-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

I guess at least with Buffalo, you have Lake Ontario also within minutes of the city as well.
Yes. Another perk Buffalo enjoys. And I'll take Toronto 2 hours away over Detroit 15 minutes away.

Old 12-26-2019, 04:09 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes. Another perk Buffalo enjoys. And I'll take Toronto 2 hours away over Detroit 15 minutes away.
I can appreciate that, but let’s be honest here? What are the chances you’re going to Toronto on a whim or having it be a part of your everyday life like you would with Detroit? 4 hours of trip time is a huge difference to 30 minutes. This is especially true after a full day out, or a concert, show, sporting event, etc, that ends late at night. Let’s not forget employment and education opportunities.

Toronto is more of a world class city than Detroit, most won’t argue that, but I’d take Detroit 15 minutes away all day, every day, over Toronto 2 hours away. To me it’s about accessibility and usability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City