Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Tier Southeast cities with Most Upside - 2020s
Huntsville 26 20.97%
Birmingham 28 22.58%
Mobile 6 4.84%
Greenville 37 29.84%
Charleston 29 23.39%
Savannah 22 17.74%
Augusta 5 4.03%
Memphis 16 12.90%
Knoxville 11 8.87%
Chattanooga 26 20.97%
New Orleans 12 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 02:57 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by croberts256 View Post
Not to be Mr. Number-cruncher and all just food for thought.
Strictly in regards to economic strength, I was a bit surprised. If we went by the GDP rate of change trend between 2018-2019 according to the Annual GMP Report of U.S. Metro Economies for the United States Conference of Mayors, the lineup looks like this:

1. New Orleans
2. Memphis
3. Birmingham
4. Charleston
5. Knoxville
6. Greenville
7. Huntsville
8. Chattanooga
9. Augusta
10. Savannah
11. Mobile
I read your report and enjoyed the information

Atlanta making up 70% of Georgia's economy didn't surprise me
Savannah only made up 7% of Georgia's economy

Meanwhile i found it interesting that Memphis (19% ) and Nashville (38%) made up 57% of Tennessee's economy. Knoxville made up 12% with Chattanooga making up 7%. So these 4 cities make up 76 percent of Tennessee's economy. Clarksville only made up 1.3 percent of the economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 05:41 PM

46 posts, read 56,587 times
Imho the GDP shows an area's real economic strength. Metro population and Urban Density stats can be a pretty good guidepost for how "big city" an area feels. I believe how a city feels is based on a lot of additional subjective and objective things though.
I'm pretty sure businesses consider the above stats and much more when deciding if an area is a viable location.

Speaking on tiers, the first 3 cities on the list I posted had a GDP almost at least twice that of the next 7 cities as well as having larger metro populations. I didn't mean to muddy the thread with stats talk but felt it was worth a mention.
The OP mentioned "upside" and I thought about economics, hence the GDP mention.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:57 PM

46 posts, read 56,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
I read your report and enjoyed the information

Atlanta making up 70% of Georgia's economy didn't surprise me
Savannah only made up 7% of Georgia's economy

Meanwhile i found it interesting that Memphis (19% ) and Nashville (38%) made up 57% of Tennessee's economy. Knoxville made up 12% with Chattanooga making up 7%. So these 4 cities make up 76 percent of Tennessee's economy. Clarksville only made up 1.3 percent of the economy
I agree! Interesting figures for sure.

Old 12-26-2019, 11:52 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#66f67fe24898

Well speaking of Upside, of the cities the OP named. New Orleans Greenville and Memphis made this Forbes best places to travel in 2020 List

Old 12-29-2019, 04:26 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Why Columbus, out of curiosity?

Greenville benefits from good interstate highway connectivity via. I-85, while Colmbus only sits at the terminus of an interstate highway spur.

And at least in the case of Savannah and Charleston, they have major ports (something other mid-size cities can't compete with).
Columbus has one of the fastest growing inland ports,he Fall Line Freeway now open with and even longer planned extension and Columbus also has some strong employers like AFLAC,Ft.Benning ,W.C. Bradley,and TYSYS

Old 12-29-2019, 05:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Columbus has one of the fastest growing inland ports,he Fall Line Freeway now open with and even longer planned extension and Columbus also has some strong employers like AFLAC,Ft.Benning ,W.C. Bradley,and TYSYS
Don’t forget Synovus, which is the largest Georgia-based bank.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:18 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yes, it has some strong assets, but I wouldn't say it has the most upside of all of the mid-size cities in the SE.

It lacks the infrastructure to attract much in the way of industrial development and the labor force to attract high-paying corporate jobs that aren't organically created.

You mentioned proximity to Atlanta's airport, but that's already amongst the slowest growing part of the Atlanta region (there's a good 75 miles of "nothing" from the outskirts of Metro Atlanta to Columbus).

Old 12-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, it has some strong assets, but I wouldn't say it has the most upside of all of the mid-size cities in the SE.

It lacks the infrastructure to attract much in the way of industrial development and the labor force to attract high-paying corporate jobs that aren't organically created.

You mentioned proximity to Atlanta's airport, but that's already amongst the slowest growing part of the Atlanta region (there's a good 75 miles of "nothing" from the outskirts of Metro Atlanta to Columbus).
No not really. There is little development on I-185 until you get to Williams Rd in Columbus. More like 45 miles. Newnan continues to grow south and Lagrange is growing nicely as well. It is far from what you are describing. Harris County is the holdup. However, there is a massive development planned along 185 at GA 315. Hopefully it happens in the near future.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:02 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No not really.
Like I said, there's virtually nothing from Exit 41 on I-85 to Williams Rd. in Columbus (unless you count that huge Love's Truck Stop in Hogansville).

And the growth that's in between isn't nowhere near exponential enough to benefit Columbus.

IMO, Chattanooga and even Macon will benefit more from proximity to Atlanta, given how extensively develop the I-75 corridor already is north and south of the city, and how much faster it's growing.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Like I said, there's virtually nothing from Exit 41 on I-85 to Williams Rd. in Columbus (unless you count that huge Love's Truck Stop in Hogansville).
Which is around 45 miles or so. You seem to leave out LaGrange for some reason. Lafayette Parkway, the main artery into LaGrange, is less than a mile from the I-185 interchange. Like I said, I-185 through Harris County is where there is lack of development. That's roughly 35 miles with little commercial development. However, if The Grove project takes off on Hwy 315, there will be plenty of development popping up in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City