Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Move to Seattle 50 69.44%
Stay in Boston 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 02:01 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
You had me at $800,000 vs $400,000.
Ditto. That's where I stopped reading. This is a no brainer. Seattle is also slightly less expensive than Boston.

For the OP. Seattle isnt quite as large as Boston metro although it does have a better downtown and better scenery to make up for it.

The other thing you may need to be wary about are earthquakes and Mnt Raineer (Volcanic).

Enjoy Seattle. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-21-2019 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 02:22 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Ditto. That's where I stopped reading. This is a no brainer. Seattle is also slightly less expensive than Boston.

For the OP. Seattle isnt quite as large as Boston metro although it does have a better downtown and better scenery to make up for it.

The other thing you may need to be wary about are earthquakes and Mnt Raineer (Volcanic).

Enjoy Seattle. You won't regret it.
Seattle does not have a better downtown...regardless this comes down to salary vs proximity to family/friends..not about cities because both are good enough...

Old 12-21-2019, 02:45 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Seattle's economy might be more cyclical than Boston's, but it should be relatively stable going forward compared to our past. We used to be heavily beholden to Boeing's production lines. Now we're beholden to a much larger number of companies. Even within the tech sector, "tech" is embedded in every industry, so profitable tech companies might rise and fall more like the overall economy.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:21 PM

10,059 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
I think if we move, we are hoping to stay for awhile since the kids will be in school. Obviously, if there is something truly horrible about the new job or Seattle completely melts down, we can always go back. But we don't want to move to Seattle just for a 2-3 year stint. Not a contract job; it's a stable, secure job where I can stay for a long time.

If only Seattle wasn't a 6.5 hour flight to Boston. You could fly to London from Boston for that long. It's far away.
Hmm, well if that's the case, and the more I think about it, a move might be the best here.

It's just so much more money, and I think if your family turns it down, you may regret it. Worst case, if jobs are terrible, schools aren't ideal, crime/homeless becomes annoying, weather bad, etc., you can move back and chalk it up to an experience (frustrating one but hey, life ain't perfect).

I'd move forward with moving. An $800k household salary in a state with no income tax is excellent, very well off living.

Give it a shot, and fly home 2-3 times a year to see family.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:43 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
I cannot live in either of these cities ,but I did live in Seattle for 6 years. I'd definitely take Seattle over Boston.. First of all, Seattle has the best scenery of any city in the lower 48 (Mt Rainier and Mt Baker are immaculate!), more outdoor recreation and the most beautiful and majestic mountains just 30 miles from the city limit. The Puget Sound has even more majestic beauty with the Olympic mountains in the backdrop. No matter how nice Boston's harbor or waterfront can look, it doesn't hold a candle to the Puget Sound. Seattle is cheaper than Boston (ouch, because Seattle is expensive), has better weather (ouch again, because Seattle's weather isn't so good) and I don't think either has worse traffic than the other (both places,again, have bad traffic). Washington state has no income tax and "Taxachusetts" (as they call it) has in additional to larger living cost even higher taxes than Washington. I can imagine the schools are better in Massachusetts being its an area with the best higher learning institutions in the country, if not world. You will have to deal with the drug and homeless epidemic living in Seattle, but if you got cash and can live in a nice suburb like Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, Sammamish, etc you can avoid the worst of it and be in some of the safest places in the country. Actually, it's getting cheaper to live in these extravagant suburbs on the Eastside than even Seattle proper anymore. Even millionaires find dead bodies outside of their luxury homes in inner city Seattle these days. I cannot imagine Boston doesn't have its share of crime though, but don't know all the details about that issue over there.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:11 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I cannot live in either of these cities ,but I did live in Seattle for 6 years. I'd definitely take Seattle over Boston.. First of all, Seattle has the best scenery of any city in the lower 48 (Mt Rainier and Mt Baker are immaculate!), more outdoor recreation and the most beautiful and majestic mountains just 30 miles from the city limit. The Puget Sound has even more majestic beauty with the Olympic mountains in the backdrop. No matter how nice Boston's harbor or waterfront can look, it doesn't hold a candle to the Puget Sound. Seattle is cheaper than Boston (ouch, because Seattle is expensive), has better weather (ouch again, because Seattle's weather isn't so good) and I don't think either has worse traffic than the other (both places,again, have bad traffic). Washington state has no income tax and "Taxachusetts" (as they call it) has in additional to larger living cost even higher taxes than Washington. I can imagine the schools are better in Massachusetts being its an area with the best higher learning institutions in the country, if not world. You will have to deal with the drug and homeless epidemic living in Seattle, but if you got cash and can live in a nice suburb like Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah, Sammamish, etc you can avoid the worst of it and be in some of the safest places in the country. Actually, it's getting cheaper to live in these extravagant suburbs on the Eastside than even Seattle proper anymore. Even millionaires find dead bodies outside of their luxury homes in inner city Seattle these days. I cannot imagine Boston doesn't have its share of crime though, but don't know all the details about that issue over there.
This is not about crime..it’s about a significant salary increase vs leaving people that may be close to you..nobody on this site can make that decision for you...it’s decision of op and family

Old 12-21-2019, 06:48 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probseattle View Post
We are not considering the Eastside burbs of Seattle since both our jobs would be in the Seattle city core and I hate commuting. We also prefer more urbanish environments with good walking scores and transit access than subdivisions, strip malls and cul-de-sacs. .
Look into West Seattle. It has a nice mix of urban/suburban hybrid neighborhoods, walkable districts like Alaska Junction and Alki Beach. West Seattle has a lot of gorgeous waterfront access and awesome views of the city, Puget Sound, and the mountains. It's a good part of the city to be in for families.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-21-2019 at 07:14 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 07:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
First of all, Seattle has the best scenery of any city in the lower 48 (Mt Rainier and Mt Baker are immaculate!), more outdoor recreation and the most beautiful and majestic mountains just 30 miles from the city limit. The Puget Sound has even more majestic beauty with the Olympic mountains in the backdrop. No matter how nice Boston's harbor or waterfront can look, it doesn't hold a candle to the Puget Sound.
Yeah.

Acadia, Cape Cod, the Islands, Cape Ann, and the White Mountains are all gross.

(If you wanna go into it about scenery, let’s revive another Seattle/Boston thread. I personally think the OP should move.)

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 12-21-2019 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-21-2019, 08:38 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Is there any way they'll let you do the respective jobs in Boston. I live in Seattle so I'm kind of biased, I love it here, but Boston is very impressive. Think about this, the delta in income will allow you to retire what, 10-15 years earlier? Take the money lol.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:51 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
To put it another way, you would be out of your mind to pay a $400,000/year fee to live in the Boston metro area instead of Seattle. This choice has one clear and obvious answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City