Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Move to Seattle 50 69.44%
Stay in Boston 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 04:51 AM

36 posts, read 31,437 times

Advertisements

We currently live in an urbanish near-suburb of Boston within Rt 128 and are thinking of a move to Seattle. We always loved the Seattle area when we visited for the gorgeous surrounding nature and the modern feel of the city. We don't mind the rain and the darkness (in Boston we have the snow and darkness). To me the two cities are similar in their size, politics and their concentration of high-tech jobs, although I do think Boston's economy is a bit more diversified than Seattle's, with the medical, pharmaceutical and higher ed industries in the Boston area. Seattle may be more susceptible to boom and bust cycles. We have friends in both cities, but there is more family in the Greater Boston area.

Our incomes will nearly double in Seattle versus staying in Boston. In Seattle, our combined income will be over $800k/yr. Job functions are similar in both places, equally stable, although the Seattle position has better work-life balance. We have real offers. Home prices are a bit higher in Seattle than Boston, but the homes seem newer and nicer too. Washington state also has no state income tax. Public schools are better I think in the Boston area, but we can afford private schools if necessary. Our kids are still tiny and not school aged so we are not uprooting them from their friends. We are not considering the Eastside burbs of Seattle since both our jobs would be in the Seattle city core and I hate commuting. We also prefer more urbanish environments with good walking scores and transit access than subdivisions, strip malls and cul-de-sacs.

Is this a no-brainer? Is there anything that should dissuade me from making the move? One hesitation is the recent documentaries like "Seattle is Dying" that depict massive homeless encampments in Seattle and a feckless Seattle City Council more interested in political ideology than practical solutions. I actually didn't notice too many homeless people or junkies when I was in Seattle (at least no more than Boston, which also has its fair share despite the harsh winters).

I do think I will greatly miss having extended family nearby, the quaintness of the Boston area, the history, the university atmosphere with all its old and famous colleges, the T despite its flaws, and the proximity to a swimmable ocean and Cape Cod. I won't miss the Big Dig, the constant caustic and openly pissed off attitude of the locals, the aggressive drivers, shoveling 5 ft of snow at 5am, ice dams, and the old rickety houses.

Money is not everything though, but the difference in incomes puts our family in a completely different income class since cost of living are similar in the two cities.

Last edited by probseattle; 12-21-2019 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 05:01 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
You had me at $800,000 vs $400,000.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Literally nothing matters if you make 800k a year

It’s about your family at that point.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,448,279 times
Yeah, as much as I prefer Boston to Seattle, that income boost will be monumental for your family's future. Take the move. You won't even need to flinch at flying your family out to Boston 4-5 times a year to visit, as your pay raise will make up for this expense many times over. I don't think Seattle is on any kind of path downward, even if it is less stable than Boston. The only factor you would really need to consider is if your careers or incomes lack security.

Anyways, congratulations on such an enormous boost to your income.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:54 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
The income decides it, case closed. Seattle is also a very nice place to live if you’re wealthy. No state income tax and plenty of jaw dropping properties to own for the wealthy. Enjoy your wealth.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:00 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
I will add that I much prefer Seattle to Boston. But honestly at that difference, I’d pick Bahstahn in a second if the pay was reversed.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:27 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
I voted Boston because of the weather and the coastal cities.

But, I change my vote completely. Yeah, 100% Seattle on that income. No... 110% Seattle. Id say Boston is a slightly better city, but Seattle is way more worth it than Boston.

So yeah... have a good flight to Seattle! lol

Old 12-21-2019, 11:30 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
It's a very tough choice, and I get it. But money is not everything, even though your family doubles its salary.

Is it possible to move to Seattle, make the $800k for 2 or 3 years, then move BACK to Boston for good?

I think Boston is head and shoulders above Seattle. Seattles' homeless problem is a mess, and the weather is a bit worse in Seattle, than Boston, imo.

I would say just stay in Boston, and consider moving closer in to the city? Unless the option is take the jobs, make the big money for a couple years, then move back to the Boston area and get your kids in Boston schools.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks for all the responses! Keep them coming. All very good points.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
It's a very tough choice, and I get it. But money is not everything, even though your family doubles its salary.

Is it possible to move to Seattle, make the $800k for 2 or 3 years, then move BACK to Boston for good?

I think Boston is head and shoulders above Seattle. Seattles' homeless problem is a mess, and the weather is a bit worse in Seattle, than Boston, imo.

I would say just stay in Boston, and consider moving closer in to the city? Unless the option is take the jobs, make the big money for a couple years, then move back to the Boston area and get your kids in Boston schools.
I think if we move, we are hoping to stay for awhile since the kids will be in school. Obviously, if there is something truly horrible about the new job or Seattle completely melts down, we can always go back. But we don't want to move to Seattle just for a 2-3 year stint. Not a contract job; it's a stable, secure job where I can stay for a long time.

If only Seattle wasn't a 6.5 hour flight to Boston. You could fly to London from Boston for that long. It's far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City