Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 04:18 PM

242 posts, read 174,199 times

Advertisements

Damn St Louis !!!!!

It's like St Louis and Baltimore in competition over who killing more smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 05:00 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
Damn St Louis !!!!!

It's like St Louis and Baltimore in competition over who killing more smh
Both of those cities are completely out of control with their Brazilian homicides rates.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:14 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I feel so badly for the people of both St. Louis and Baltimore. Sure, you can live in Lafayette Square or Fells Point, respectively, and feel “insulated” from the violence, but when all is said and done it’s still incredibly disheartening that ~50% of the land area in your city is a “no man’s land”.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:53 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I feel so badly for the people of both St. Louis and Baltimore. Sure, you can live in Lafayette Square or Fells Point, respectively, and feel “insulated” from the violence, but when all is said and done it’s still incredibly disheartening that ~50% of the land area in your city is a “no man’s land”.
Yeah, if you say that the crime and homicides in your city are "confined" to certain "bad" areas, yet you still end up having the highest homicide/violent crime rates in the nation, that must mean that those "bad" areas are basically Mordor.

Also, "bad" areas don't have walls built around them. Crime can and does spill out.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:25 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Not off to a great start in a few cities...

St. Louis: 7
Greensboro, NC: 3 (triple homicide but the FBI would count that as 3 homicides)
Philadelphia: 3
Baltimore: 2
Chicago: 2 (a mother killed her 2 young children and then killed herself. Sad murder/suicide)
Detroit: 2
NYC: 2
Albuquerque: 1
Cleveland: 1
Columbus, GA: 1
Dallas: 1
Des Moines, IA: 1
Houston: 1
Milwaukee: 1
Minneapolis: 1
New Orleans: 1
St. Paul: 1
Toronto: 1
Tulsa: 1

Last edited by marothisu; 01-02-2020 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 AM

817 posts, read 598,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This is absolutely true and was one of the things that really bothered me about living in St. Louis. But frankly it is true of Chicago, too. I just don't get how people can truly celebrate a city where you neither visit nor talk about anything other than the 1/3 of the city that is white, wealthy, and comparably safe. It might be real nice living in your little bourgeois bubble, but don't tell me "Chicago is great" when your "Chicago" consists of a devastatingly small fraction of the real Chicago (or St. Louis) or whatever.

At least St. Louisans are honest and admit that when they tell people they love St. Louis they usually mean the St. Louis area and not the city itself (outside of a few niche areas west and south of downtown).

Old 01-03-2020, 03:06 AM

3,527 posts, read 2,321,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignCrunch View Post
This is absolutely true and was one of the things that really bothered me about living in St. Louis. But frankly it is true of Chicago, too. I just don't get how people can truly celebrate a city where you neither visit nor talk about anything other than the 1/3 of the city that is white, wealthy, and comparably safe.
Thats unfortunately how good chunk of well off city residents function. By large wealth tends tends to form socio-economic bubbles (i.e the rich stay, deal & live with only the rich, while the poor stay, live and deal with the poor, etc..)... Thats not something exclusive to St. Louis, Baltimore or Chicago.

DC, NYC, SF, LA, Miami, hell throw a dart on any major city and just watch truly how similar they all are on a socio-economic lvl.

Quote:
It might be real nice living in your little bourgeois bubble, but don't tell me "Chicago is great" when your "Chicago" consists of a devastatingly small fraction of the real Chicago (or St. Louis) or whatever.
I've always felt by large the middle class and low income have a substantially more realistic understanding/less jaded view points on how their cities function on a demographic level as they are more likely to interact, explore & live in more areas of the city

Quote:
At least St. Louisans are honest and admit that when they tell people they love St. Louis they usually mean the St. Louis area and not the city itself (outside of a few niche areas west and south of downtown).
I think most people who are born and raised in "x" city fit that bill... it's the transplants who tend to not "get" a cities underpinnings or be surprised when the negatives of city life catch up with them.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:41 AM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Cincinnati is at 1
Columbus had a double murder/suicide

Old 01-03-2020, 09:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Cincinnati is at 1
Columbus had a double murder/suicide
Did they kill 2 people? If so then thata counted as 2, not 1.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:54 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times
Crazy to think St Louis murder totals are already nearly 10% of Atlanta's 2019 total 3 days into the year(Keep in mind Atlanta's murder rate is bad too). Absolutely mindboggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City