Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Charlotte or Nashville
Charlotte 76 51.70%
Nashville 71 48.30%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 02:44 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Charlotte does have more small surrounding cities. Gastonia, Concord, and Rock Hill have their own small City bus services. In Concord's case, it has its own airport with limited service to mostly Florida destinations.

On the other hand, Charlotte (if it had Nashville's 476 sq miles of land) would have a population of nearly 1.1 million (that's more populated than Davidson and Rutherford counties combined). So yes, Charlotte gets a boost from surrounding cities, but it isn't like Charlotte doesn't get a boost from being more populated as a stand-alone city. Charlotte's rapidly growing central business district sets the stage for a development pattern that's fairly unique for a southern metro. I say this because it was recently discovered that Charlotte is the only major southern metro that is increasing its neighborhood density as it grows.

I get it though. Nashville is on the tip of everyone's tongue when it comes to National notoriety. Whether it's Broadway, Zanies, Hattie B's HOT chicken, or the massive NFL Draft party; Nashville's popularity is at an ALL TIME high. When you visit Nashville, you can see this local pride amongst long time residents. The pride is justified no doubt! However, it doesn't change the fact that there are places in the south (other than Florida and Georgia) that has more growth and has more populated markets than Middle Tennessee (those markets are Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham).

NC's official state motto is "Esse quam videri" which is Latin for "To be rather than to seem". I'll leave it there....
Also, Charlotte's rents and housing are cheaper than Nashville. Most people who have never been to Charlotte are probably shocked how large it is. Charlotte is cleaner and doesn't have as many crime ridden or run down areas as Nashville. Nashville has a mixed bag of super nice wealthy communities, gentrifieds, and some you might mistake for a rural Appalachian or Midwestern working class town. It is not segregated, but the wealth is very lopsided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 03:04 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Also, Charlotte's rents and housing are cheaper than Nashville. Most people who have never been to Charlotte are probably shocked how large it is. Charlotte is cleaner and doesn't have as many crime ridden or run down areas as Nashville. Nashville has a mixed bag of super nice wealthy communities, gentrifieds, and some you might mistake for a rural Appalachian or Midwestern working class town. It is not segregated, but the wealth is very lopsided.
You're preaching to the choir; my girlfriend used to live in the Madison area of North East Nashville. Whenever I visit Nashville, you can find me shooting ball at the Green Hills family YMCA. I love that particular YMCA location because of the Smoothie King right across from the basketball courts. Trust and Believe Nashville is pretty dope and I could very well find myself being a resident of that City within the next 5 to 10 years. I have noticed that the real estate prices in Nashville are a little bit higher but the zero state income tax more than makes up for the difference for some families. My girlfriend and I combined earn about $230,000 a year. For us, Tennessee would be a savings on state income taxes of nearly $12,000 annually. There is the adjustment of the higher sales tax but as my girlfriend always say you can control what you spend, you really can't control what you earn (which is true).

Old 02-03-2020, 04:14 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
Quote:
You're preaching to the choir; my girlfriend used to live in the Madison area of North East Nashville. Whenever I visit Nashville, you can find me shooting ball at the Green Hills family YMCA. I love that particular YMCA location because of the Smoothie King right across from the basketball courts. Trust and Believe Nashville is pretty dope and I could very well find myself being a resident of that City within the next 5 to 10 years. I have noticed that the real estate prices in Nashville are a little bit higher but the zero state income tax more than makes up for the difference for some families. My girlfriend and I combined earn about $230,000 a year. For us, Tennessee would be a savings on state income taxes of nearly $12,000 annually. There is the adjustment of the higher sales tax but as my girlfriend always say you can control what you spend, you really can't control what you earn (which is true).
That is one of the most attractive things Tennessee has going for it. No state income tax goes quite far.

Sales tax on groceries is 4% in Tennessee compared to 2% in NC.

None of the Tennessee cities have put anything into upgrading transit and public infrastructure. The citizenry doesn't want to pay for it. If longer commutes dont mean anything or you dont need big city toys like LRT then go for Nashville. There are pros and cons to every city.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
That savings would be worth it! Green Hills is my favorite in town neighborhood. West End Ave is second. I usually hang out at the Whole Foods and Starbucks on Hillsboro...you see it all lol. Green Hills Mall is in the final stages of its major expansion. They have added Zara, Arhaus Furniture, Crate and Barrel, new Dillards, Restoration Hardware, Gucci, and more coming soon. At one time it was rumored another department store might build, but not sure who. I rarely go downtown unless to the Gulch or to catch a concert. If you like a more upscale lounge type of concert venue you and your girlfriend would like City Winery. Something like that would be packed in Charlotte. Nashville audience takes it for granted due to the number of other venues...seats empty..stingy and hateful not wanting to spend more than $20 for tickets smh...

Old 02-08-2020, 08:59 AM

828 posts, read 648,507 times
Very similar to each other actually in feel. Charlotte is noticeably, but not hugely, bigger than Nashville. Hard to go wrong with either one honestly

Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That savings would be worth it! Green Hills is my favorite in town neighborhood. West End Ave is second. I usually hang out at the Whole Foods and Starbucks on Hillsboro...you see it all lol. Green Hills Mall is in the final stages of its major expansion. They have added Zara, Arhaus Furniture, Crate and Barrel, new Dillards, Restoration Hardware, Gucci, and more coming soon. At one time it was rumored another department store might build, but not sure who. I rarely go downtown unless to the Gulch or to catch a concert. If you like a more upscale lounge type of concert venue you and your girlfriend would like City Winery. Something like that would be packed in Charlotte. Nashville audience takes it for granted due to the number of other venues...seats empty..stingy and hateful not wanting to spend more than $20 for tickets smh...
I do think the biggest misnomer about Charlotte is the all too easy generalization as being this boring or sterile place that people suffer through or tolerate. Or that venues akin to what you allude do not exists in Charlotte to some degree. I think both Charlotte and Nashville have surpassed the old labels of one being sterile and boring (Charlotte) and the other a one trick pony of a Hee-Haw Country Music town (Nashville).

I do think it's hard for a lot of outsiders to get beyond those fixations, especially in city v city forum...it's an easy out. Though I think Nashville has shed that label quicker being the new "it" city and larger draw for random tourist. I do think Charlotte gets substantially more annual visitors due to it's large number of recreational and other entertainment venues.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I do think the biggest misnomer about Charlotte is the all too easy generalization as being this boring or sterile place that people suffer through or tolerate. Or that venues akin to what you allude do not exists in Charlotte to some degree. I think both Charlotte and Nashville have surpassed the old labels of one being sterile and boring (Charlotte) and the other a one trick pony of a Hee-Haw Country Music town (Nashville).

I do think it's hard for a lot of outsiders to get beyond those fixations, especially in city v city forum...it's an easy out. Though I think Nashville has shed that label quicker being the new "it" city and larger draw for random tourist. I do think Charlotte gets substantially more annual visitors due to it's large number of recreational and other entertainment venues.
I agree. Charlotte will come into its own. I don't get the hate for either city. If you are bored in Charlotte then you are just not trying. If you think Nashville is only country music then you will be out of place in other areas of Nashville than Broadway. Even Broadway is diversifying with the National Museum of African American Music and the 5th + Broadway development.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:58 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Totally agree!!! I travel extensively and have done so for many years. I never find Charlotte or Nashville boring, "sterile", or any of the other terms occasionally used. If you're bored, you ain't lookin', lol. I'm not a country music fan, but love visiting Nashville. Not a NASCAR fan, but love Charlotte. So much to do in both areas and I've never been bored in either. Great people, great quality of life in both areas.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:42 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
I’m just wondering.

Is the “turmoil” happening in Nashville real, or blown out of proportion?

I keep reading Nashville is likely to lose its MLS team, Businesses like Oracle are turning away, postmates reconsidering expansion, deals on other developments torpedoed all because of a mayor?

Old 02-11-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I’m just wondering.

Is the “turmoil” happening in Nashville real, or blown out of proportion?

I keep reading Nashville is likely to lose its MLS team, Businesses like Oracle are turning away, postmates reconsidering expansion, deals on other developments torpedoed all because of a mayor?
The mayor is a fiscal conservative, which Nashville has not had in a long time. He is trying to negotiate better deals so that Nashville does not keep giving away its tax base. The problem, however, is that he is not being transparent. No media announcements, phone calls not returned, noticeable silence on the recent anti-lgbt legislation, exploiting the black vote on ft. negley etc. The soccer stadium still has not begun construction.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ng/4714288002/

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/amaz...c-success.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City