Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 10:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yes, Somerville pretty much = Cambridge sans a couple higher ed places named Harvard and MIT (though Tufts is just over the Somerville border in Medford)... But I thought I read somewhere that Somerville is had the greatest pop density in the region (and therefore the state). No wonder they're getting the GLX a couple decades after the RLX to Alewife -- apparently Deval Patrick, as governor, was largely responsible for getting the moribund GLX project back on track, literally... Upon completion, Somerville will have more intimate rapid transit service than Boston itself.
Somerville is mostly a triple-decker city, with some streets having nothing but that for its housing options. There are a number of two-family homes, and the somewhat rare single-family home, but the triple-decker dominates, thus accounting for the extremely-high-density of the city..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 AM

2,219 posts, read 1,392,009 times
Denver as a "poor man's DC" is bizzare to me. I feel like those two cities would attract entirely different people. If I was gonna name a bigger and more expensive Denver I would go with Seattle. I can't really think of anything that would be a "lower cost DC" other than neighbors Philly and Baltimore.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:54 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Denver as a "poor man's DC" is bizzare to me. I feel like those two cities would attract entirely different people. If I was gonna name a bigger and more expensive Denver I would go with Seattle. I can't really think of anything that would be a "lower cost DC" other than neighbors Philly and Baltimore.
Id say Calgary more than any other.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:57 AM

100 posts, read 127,583 times
Richmond is a poor man's Portland

Old 01-09-2020, 01:45 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock2001 View Post
Richmond is a poor man's Portland
I'm not seeing the parallels between Richmond and either Portland, except maybe in the Fan District of the former, and I wouldn't call Virginia's capital a "poor man's" anything.

A certain air of gentility hangs over the entire Commonwealth of Virginia that sort of sets it off from the rest of the South.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:15 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm not seeing the parallels between Richmond and either Portland, except maybe in the Fan District of the former, and I wouldn't call Virginia's capital a "poor man's" anything.

A certain air of gentility hangs over the entire Commonwealth of Virginia that sort of sets it off from the rest of the South.
Probably closer to "poor man's" DC:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...YidOouBxqB_dac
Quote:
"Richmond, long known as a sleepy capital steeped in Confederate history, has morphed into a dynamic cultural center on the cutting edge of the arts, food and recreation. Within easy driving distance from Washington, D.C., Charlottesville, Va., and Virginia Beach, the city is a magnet for Washington expats, millennials and college students..."

Old 01-09-2020, 03:41 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Perhaps. I view this as just a figure of speech. Basically it's saying "If I wanted to live in X city but wasn't affluent enough to afford it, then Y city is a reasonable stand-in for it on a lower budget." Just because something is more expensive doesn't always make it more desirable or "better than". I mean it would cost me a LOT more money to move back to the suburban doldrums of Northern Virginia where I used to reside. I currently live and work in Downtown Pittsburgh for less money and wouldn't trade it for suburbia---ever.

My thoughts?

Denver would be a poor man's DC for the reasons mentioned by Katarina Witt upthread.

Minneapolis would be a poor man's Seattle (very white, very safe, very literate, very liberal cities with booming economies---but Minneapolis is cheaper than Seattle).

Pittsburgh would be a poor man's Portland, OR (controversial, I know, but both cities/metro areas are lush/green, are very gray/dreary/rainy, are very well-educated/literate, are very white, are similarly-sized, have a strong river orientation, have a lot of people who take pride in being "weird", have a lot of urban elitists, people seem to think both cities/MSA's are larger than they really are, etc.) I don't really see the Pittsburgh vs. Boston comparison since Boston is so much larger than Pittsburgh. I feel like you could live in Pittsburgh for cheaper than Portland while not sacrificing much in the way of quality-of-life whereas Pittsburgh is a HUGE step down from Boston that might not be fully worth the cost-of-living differential. I personally would be unhappy if someone told me "You can't afford Boston, but you can afford Pittsburgh." I'd be less unhappy if someone told me "You can't afford Portland, but you can afford Pittsburgh." I'd personally prefer to live in Boston over Pittsburgh IF I wasn't lower-middle-class (which I am). I also feel like Pittsburgh has many more yinzers than Boston has "townies".

Philadelphia would be a poor man's Brooklyn (albeit Brooklyn is NOT a standalone city).

Chicago would be a poor man's Toronto. I've often thought both of these cities were very similar and am surprised they're not compared/contrasted more often on here.

Omaha would be a poor man's Des Moines maybe? (Flame away on that one).

I've also always found Grand Rapids, MI and Rochester, NY to be quite comparable, but I'm not sure which one is more expensive at present.

I'm not as familiar with this comparison, but could Seattle be a poor man's Vancouver, or would it be the other way around? I've always assumed Vancouver was more expensive than Seattle.
Minneapolis is very safe? Take it you havent seen all the crazy mugging videos from the past year? They're insane, go find some. St Paul had record murders last year, too. Things people don't bring up about minnieapple for some reason: the crime and humidity.

Taken from a cbsnews article from last year

"Minneapolis has above-average rates of murder and aggravated assault, but the rape and robbery rates are especially disturbing."

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 01-09-2020 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 05:03 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:

Philadelphia would be a poor man's Brooklyn (albeit Brooklyn is NOT a standalone city).

Chicago would be a poor man's Toronto. I've often thought both of these cities were very similar and am surprised they're not compared/contrasted more often on here.

Omaha would be a poor man's Des Moines maybe? (Flame away on that one).
1. Which is why Brooklynites are moving to Philadelphia in large numbers. I think my objection to the term is that I think the phrase "a poor man's _________" implies that the place so labeled is somehow an inferior or lesser version of the place it's being compared to, and often enough, the ways in which the other place is "lesser" are trivial or superficial - one could be perfectly happy living in the "poor man's" equivalent (which I think you just said). In the case of Brooklyn and Philadelphia, a Philly rapper quoted a Brooklyn-transplant friend in a Phillymag interview as saying of his new hometown:

"It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost!"

I'd say that's a good bit more than sloppy seconds.

2. Omaha and Des Moines are comparable in size - in fact, I think that the city of Omaha is more populous than the city of Des Moines. The comparison that has been made upthread is more apt IMO: Omaha is a poor man's Kansas City. (Sheesh, Omaha is the home of the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm club.)

Old 01-09-2020, 06:10 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Baton Rouge and New Orleans are both Poor Man’s versions of Houston.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Perhaps. I view this as just a figure of speech. Basically it's saying "If I wanted to live in X city but wasn't affluent enough to afford it, then Y city is a reasonable stand-in for it on a lower budget." Just because something is more expensive doesn't always make it more desirable or "better than". I mean it would cost me a LOT more money to move back to the suburban doldrums of Northern Virginia where I used to reside. I currently live and work in Downtown Pittsburgh for less money and wouldn't trade it for suburbia---ever.

My thoughts?

Denver would be a poor man's DC for the reasons mentioned by Katarina Witt upthread.

Minneapolis would be a poor man's Seattle (very white, very safe, very literate, very liberal cities with booming economies---but Minneapolis is cheaper than Seattle).

Pittsburgh would be a poor man's Portland, OR (controversial, I know, but both cities/metro areas are lush/green, are very gray/dreary/rainy, are very well-educated/literate, are very white, are similarly-sized, have a strong river orientation, have a lot of people who take pride in being "weird", have a lot of urban elitists, people seem to think both cities/MSA's are larger than they really are, etc.) I don't really see the Pittsburgh vs. Boston comparison since Boston is so much larger than Pittsburgh. I feel like you could live in Pittsburgh for cheaper than Portland while not sacrificing much in the way of quality-of-life whereas Pittsburgh is a HUGE step down from Boston that might not be fully worth the cost-of-living differential. I personally would be unhappy if someone told me "You can't afford Boston, but you can afford Pittsburgh." I'd be less unhappy if someone told me "You can't afford Portland, but you can afford Pittsburgh." I'd personally prefer to live in Boston over Pittsburgh IF I wasn't lower-middle-class (which I am). I also feel like Pittsburgh has many more yinzers than Boston has "townies".

Wait, what?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City