Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 03:50 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Is there a poor man's DC?
Not really. Not in the US anyway. It's the federal capital. The closet thing in the US would have to be a state capital that is very prominent in both it's state, and the country as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 04:04 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I know Philly is in NYC's shadow, but I really don't find it to be much like New York, really. While yes, some neighborhoods are similar looking ... ie Rittenhouse Sq (to the east and south) compared to Greenwich Village ... Philly is much more Colonial with more narrow streets, old rowhouses and old ways. New York's downtown is much more dense and vertical and neighborhoods, esp in Manhattan, are lined with many large apartment buildings, many mixed-use with tons of street-level storefronts...

Brooklyn is more of a Philly-scale section of NYC, but it's not the City's most identifiable borough -- it falls way behind Manhattan in stature.
Philly isn't really any more colonial than NYC, whatever that means. They were both colonial. One wasn't more colonial than the other. NYC however was more Dutch while Philadelphia was more British.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Philly isn't really any more colonial than NYC, whatever that means. They were both colonial. One wasn't more colonial than the other. NYC however was more Dutch while Philadelphia was more British.
I'm not talking about history... obviously they are both Colonial in origin. I'm talking about how it looks; feels. The point is, when New York grew -- and I'm focusing on Manhattan -- much of its Colonial, people-scaled housing was wiped out in favor of office buildings and large apartment blocks. This is especially true as New York's CBD kept creeping north from its original location around Wall Street and lower Manhattan until, today, the CBD is midway up the island -- Midtown, that is..

Old 01-05-2020, 05:18 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
How is Pittsburgh a poor man’s Boston? The two cities aren’t remotely comparable. Carnegie-Mellon as a top university that is less well known than Harvard and MIT is the only thing I can think of. Ocean. Hundreds of thousands of college students. All those white collar professionals. The top suburban public schools. Airport with dozens of Europe flights and Asia service. Commuter rail and subway. All the revolutionary war history. I just don’t see it.
Pittsburgh's job profile is pretty white collar in 2020.

Old 01-05-2020, 05:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
They do have a fair amount of similarities in some ways:

-large college populations
-crazy street layouts
-pretty similar weather
-distinctive local accents
-Boston is an older city, but Pittsburgh actually has older colonial war history than Boston, it was a focal point of the French and Indian war (before the revolution)
-rowhouse neighborhoods (although Pittsburgh's are more similar to Philly's)
-compact city limits
-formerly industrial cities now more white collar and tech heavy
-both have rail systems called the "T" (admittedly trivial)
- some of the largest percentage Irish and Italian populations in the U.S.
- I know the "parking chair" is pretty common in Pittsburgh but I think people do that in Boston too
I've been to Boston a couple times, and while it's different from Pittsburgh on some ways, there's a definite familiarity to Pittsburgh a little more so than other I-95 cities IMO. I've seen people describe Pittsburgh as being where Boston was 20 years ago.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:43 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I've been to both, and I don't see the similarities, that much.
In geography, I would agree that they are not much alike, but for whatever reason Minneapolis tends to attract a fair number of transplants from Portland and Seattle. Not as many as from the states that touch Minnesota, but more than from the East Coast or South, and I would guess more than from the Eastern Great Lakes States. I guess the PNW and Twin Cities both have an outdoorsy population, and are also fairly educated metros. I joke that people in the Pacific Northwest say they are going to move one city East, and the next real city you come to is Minneapolis (Appologies to Spokane, Boise, Billings, Fargo, and Rapid City).

Old 01-05-2020, 06:43 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Baltimore or Richmond? Or Philly? Its hard for sure.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:36 PM

219 posts, read 226,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
The closet thing in the US would have to be a state capital that is very prominent in both it's state, and the country as a whole.
Austin?

Old 01-05-2020, 07:42 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
Quote:
Baltimore

Old 01-05-2020, 07:48 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Baltimore or Richmond? Or Philly? Its hard for sure.
Definitely not Baltimore or Philly. Richmond would probably be a example of a poor man's version of DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City