Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Jersey City- poor mans Brooklyn
Somerville- poor mans Cambridge
Towson-poor mans Silver Spring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Kansas City Missouri Glory days are long long past!!! 1960's........
If you're going to talk about Kansas City's real glory days, you have to go back to the era of Boss Tom Pendergast - the 1920s and 1930s.

That was when the city had a reputation as a wide-open town, where the Pendergast machine acted as though the 18th Amendment had never taken effect. These were the years when Kansas City was the place to be if you wanted to hear great jazz at all hours of the day. (The Mutual Musicians Foundation carries the torch for that legacy, but I hear its finances have become wobbly.)

My hometown was a very nice place to grow up in the 1960s, and I wouldn't trade growing up there then for growing up anywhere else in the country at the time. But today's city is less blah than that one was. It seems to have gotten in touch with its inner Boss Tom and let its hair down some again.

It will never be as important on the national stage again as it was in the first four decades of the last century, but it does remain the principal metropolis of the Central Plains, and I don't see that changing in either the near or the distant future.

And like the city I now call home, it's underrated.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:42 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Jersey City- poor mans Brooklyn
Somerville- poor mans Cambridge
Towson-poor mans Silver Spring
Somerville a "poor man's Cambridge" still?

Okay, it's still not as affluent as Cambridge, but ever since the Red Line came to Davis Square, its western reaches have really taken off. And there's now Assembly Square, a nice little chunk of Instant Urbanism on the other end of the city.

I predict the GLX will do the same thing for Union Square, at which point we can retire that label completely.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Okay, it's still not as affluent as Cambridge, but ever since the Red Line came to Davis Square, its western reaches have really taken off. And there's now Assembly Square, a nice little chunk of Instant Urbanism on the other end of the city.

I predict the GLX will do the same thing for Union Square, at which point we can retire that label completely.
I think Somerville still has that reputation. It seems Somerville has had more transformative growth with Union Square, Assembly Square and Davis Square, however, growth in Cambridge is a bit stronger with a little more potential with the SoMa, MxD and Volpe Projects coupled with the massive Cambridge Crossing project. But for the foreseeable future it looks as if Cambridge might still stay there. Although the GLX is going to the newly named Medford/Tufts stop,the 2030s should bring the Grand Junction Rail project. There is just more to work within Cambridge since a good ~70% of Somerville are triple-deckers.. which definitely limit growth potential. Although, I'll be frequenting ArchBoston and Bldup to see what the new redevelopment finalized ideas are for Sully square. Encore is pouring a lot of money into that area

So who knows, maybe in 10 years Somerville will be the rich man's Cambridge lol

Old 01-06-2020, 10:37 PM

I’m Somerville is definitely cheaper than Cambridge-that’s it. Schools are worse but rapidly improving and greatly improved Since 10-15 years ago.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:03 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
OKC = Poor man's Dallas
Little Rock = Poor man's Memphis
Memphis = Poor man's St. Louis
Charlotte = Poor man's Atlanta
Phoenix = Poor man's Los Angeles
Portland = Poor man's Seattle
Seattle = Poor man's San Francisco
Austin = Poor man's Portland
Salt Lake City = Poor man's Denver

Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Yes, Somerville pretty much = Cambridge sans a couple higher ed places named Harvard and MIT (though Tufts is just over the Somerville border in Medford)... But I thought I read somewhere that Somerville is had the greatest pop density in the region (and therefore the state). No wonder they're getting the GLX a couple decades after the RLX to Alewife -- apparently Deval Patrick, as governor, was largely responsible for getting the moribund GLX project back on track, literally... Upon completion, Somerville will have more intimate rapid transit service than Boston itself.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Waco= Poor man's Fort Worth
Laredo, TX= Poor man's San Antonio
...well that's a new one.

Old 01-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yes, Somerville pretty much = Cambridge sans a couple higher ed places named Harvard and MIT... But I thought I read somewhere that Somerville is had the greatest pop density in the region (and therefore the state). No wonder they're getting the GLX a couple decades of the RLX to Alewife -- apparently Deval Patrick, as governor, was largely responsible for getting the moribund GLX project back on track, literally... Upon completion, Somerville will have more intimate rapid transit service than Boston itself.
Somerville already has better transit than some of the poorer areas of southern Boston proper. The GLX was envision in the early 1990s when Somerville was rough and just starting to improve-they thought it was needed but in hindsight the congestion and traffic isn't really coming form somerville addn they don't need it. Its coming, its nice but would have been better to do something like this is southern Boston itself.

Old 01-08-2020, 08:56 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Augusta = A poor man’s Greenville (SC)
Mobile = A poor man’s New Orleans
Wilmington = A poor man’s Hampton Roads
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City