Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 02:43 PM

561 posts, read 514,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1. Which is why Brooklynites are moving to Philadelphia in large numbers. I think my objection to the term is that I think the phrase "a poor man's _________" implies that the place so labeled is somehow an inferior or lesser version of the place it's being compared to, and often enough, the ways in which the other place is "lesser" are trivial or superficial - one could be perfectly happy living in the "poor man's" equivalent (which I think you just said). In the case of Brooklyn and Philadelphia, a Philly rapper quoted a Brooklyn-transplant friend in a Phillymag interview as saying of his new hometown:

"It's like 80 percent of New York at 20 percent of the cost!"

I'd say that's a good bit more than sloppy seconds.

2. Omaha and Des Moines are comparable in size - in fact, I think that the city of Omaha is more populous than the city of Des Moines. The comparison that has been made upthread is more apt IMO: Omaha is a poor man's Kansas City. (Sheesh, Omaha is the home of the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A farm club.)
This thread is comical in many ways. I don’t prescribe to these silly “poor mans city” references. I’ll only say- in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM does Omaha take a back seat to Des Moines- in ANY way. I’d anything, it’s the other way around. Omaha is the larger and more diverse city AND metro. Geez. Some people just like to make statements, pulling them from their back sides. I also read in this thread someone stated Tulsa, OK is a “poor mans” Oklahoma City. More silliness, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 04:31 PM

14,165 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
This thread is comical in many ways. I don’t prescribe to these silly “poor mans city” references. I’ll only say- in NO WAY, SHAPE or FORM does Omaha take a back seat to Des Moines- in ANY way. I’d anything, it’s the other way around. Omaha is the larger and more diverse city AND metro. Geez. Some people just like to make statements, pulling them from their back sides. I also read in this thread someone stated Tulsa, OK is a “poor mans” Oklahoma City. More silliness, lol.
Tulsa has historically been the more cultured of Oklahoma's two large cities, and most of the oil companies based in the state were headquartered there, not OKC. (Well, Phillips is in Bartlesville.)

But Oklahoma City is the larger of the two, it doesn't have that historical day of shame (the Greenwood "riot") in its past, and in terms of infrastructure investments, it's been on a roll with those MAPS projects - which I learned began when a major airline that was considering setting up its maintenance base there decided not to when the employees said they didn't want to live in OKC.

I'm with you on the "poor man's" stuff in general, though. Most of the cities we're talking about here aren't inferior versions of some larger city. And Omaha (where my Mom was born) is a decent city with many amenities to recommend it. Sheesh (again), if it's good enough for Warren Buffett...

Old 01-12-2020, 05:09 PM

37 posts, read 63,930 times
Seattle is a poor man's Vancouver, Boston is a poor man's Montreal

Old 01-12-2020, 05:15 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_denoah View Post
Seattle is much richer than Vancouver.
Boston is much richer than Montreal.

Maybe.. vice versa?

Old 01-12-2020, 06:04 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Seattle is much richer than Vancouver.
Boston is much richer than Montreal.

Maybe.. vice versa?
They’re really not comparable. The only similarity between Montreal and Boston is urbanity. And even then... Montreal is grid-based, and Boston is Boston. Go to either city and compare the two, and you’re likely to get into a fight.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:19 PM

765 posts, read 898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_denoah View Post
I don't think so. Vancouver and Seattle have different economies and Seattle is noticeably larger. It's not really comparable with the exception of some cultural Cascadian similarities, climate, and topography. Both are very wealthy.

Old 01-12-2020, 11:36 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Milwaukee is a poor man's Chicago

Rockford is a poor man's Milwaukee

Peoria, IL is a poor man's St. Louis

Indianapolis is a poor man's Columbus (Indy may have more pro sports and perhaps more international recognition, but I think Cbus has better neighborhoods, is more educated, and is attracting more Millennials)

Old 01-13-2020, 01:54 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Indianapolis is a poor man's Columbus (Indy may have more pro sports and perhaps more international recognition, but I think Cbus has better neighborhoods, is more educated, and is attracting more Millennials)
This is ridiculous. The concept here involves one city offering most of the 'stuff' that another, nearly always larger, city offers but at a fraction of the cost. Indianapolis and Columbus are peers and virtual equals, arguably more so than any other pair of cities (with each being located in a different state) in the country, that offer similar amenities at a similar cost. Neither one is the bargain version of the other and the differences you mention are extremely minor in the context of this discussion and I fail to see their relevance.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:54 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Wait, what?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Wait, what?! I refrained from posting in this thread but I would think the other way around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OMG exactly. Doesn't he know ALL the threads closed CHI vs T.O.? They got bad sometimes..... in the past. Torontonians and Canadians boasting for their largest city of nearly 60% immigrants with degrees as is Cabañas by merit points-system immigration.

They see Chicago as passed by them and NYC the only US city above them...... many posters that is. Though some were banned. Cause it got that bad.
I mean Toronto is more expensive than Chicago. Ergo, if Toronto and Chicago are comparable in terms of size, amenities, quality-of-life, built environment, etc., then Chicago would be the cheaper alternative (i.e. "poor man's") Toronto.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:30 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean Toronto is more expensive than Chicago. Ergo, if Toronto and Chicago are comparable in terms of size, amenities, quality-of-life, built environment, etc., then Chicago would be the cheaper alternative (i.e. "poor man's") Toronto.
Are you sure its not Toronto is the Poor mans NYC. One larger and one smaller seems to be how this comparison goes also. Chicago and Toronto both hugging a Great Lake throws them together in threads. But size-was one isn't greatly smaller or larger. Chicago's metro makes it larger. But still most comparisons are between much more size different cities with poorer versions.

Again, Toronto does not see itself more tied with the US Midwest cities. This because as Canada's largest and fastest growing city for decades..... it looks eastward and NYC more and more to be compared.

I get NYC is in its own tier and class. But these comparisons are mostly different tiered cities anyway with one a pooer version for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City