Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston winters or Las Vegas summers?
Boston winters 41 56.94%
Las Vegas summers 31 43.06%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 05:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I would rather take the dry heat 120F in Vegas over the 90-100F hot and humid any day.
The all time Las Vegas high is 117 and that is very rare. Summer highs are around 105 during the peak heat. And the very high days are almost always very dry. Hence much lower heat index than temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 06:40 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
I would rather take the dry heat 120F in Vegas over the 90-100F hot and humid any day.
I live in Texas and am familiar with 95 and humid, and I've also been to Vegas when it was ~115. IMO it was no contest, Vegas that day was much, much, much hotter than a humid 95.

Not to say that "dry heat" isn't a thing, because it definitely is, but it does not make a 20 degree difference. I might take 105 in Vegas over 95 in Houston, but not 115 in Vegas.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 PM

503 posts, read 597,803 times
I’d much rather take 105 in the Vegas dry heat over the humid 90s that NYC/DC can get in the summer

Old 01-28-2020, 07:00 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
I think for me I just can't detach the cities from each because a Las Vegas summer in what type of environment? If you were proposing to pretend that a city like Chicago had a Las Vegas summer, I would take it the summer in a heartbeat. But if I had to deal with a Las Vegas summer in Las Vegas setting, hell no. Give me the Boston winter.

The way I see this, would you rather spend a winter in Boston or a summer in Las Vegas. I can only handle Las Vegas for a few days when the weather is good. I hate the cold, but rather live in a place like Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, etc., than live in a place like Las Vegas.
This is the way that I see it. A summer in Las Vegas isn't going to kill me, but I wouldn't choose to live there. I visited there once, and I'm never going back.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:11 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I live in Texas and am familiar with 95 and humid, and I've also been to Vegas when it was ~115. IMO it was no contest, Vegas that day was much, much, much hotter than a humid 95.

Not to say that "dry heat" isn't a thing, because it definitely is, but it does not make a 20 degree difference. I might take 105 in Vegas over 95 in Houston, but not 115 in Vegas.
Actually you can get pretty close to a 20 degree swing. Heat index for 110 and 2% RH will yield a heat index of 100. 95F and 55% RH will yield a heat index of 104. So from 15 degrees on temperature you end up with -4 on heat index or a movement of 19 degrees. And that is common.

Back to reality it very rarely gets to 110 in Ls Vegas. The highest average is July when the top is 105. Most years it never gets to 115.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is only partially true. If one chooses to measure summer heat by heat index (which is supposed to represent human discomfort) Las Vegas is roughly equivalent or even a little more comfortable than Dallas or Houston. So are Dallas and Houston very hot? And there are a number of other cities in the southeast that are similar. Now Phoenix is hot. But Las Vegas is no where near the Phoenix level.
Yes, Dallas and Houston are VERY hot, but I’ll take Las Vegas dry hot any day and Boston winters over any of that.

Old 01-29-2020, 05:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
that is only partially true. If one chooses to measure summer heat by heat index (which is supposed to represent human discomfort) las vegas is roughly equivalent or even a little more comfortable than dallas or houston. so are dallas and houston very hot? and there are a number of other cities in the southeast that are similar. Now phoenix is hot. But las vegas is no where near the phoenix level.

yeeesssss

Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
This is the way that I see it. A summer in Las Vegas isn't going to kill me, but I wouldn't choose to live there. I visited there once, and I'm never going back.
This would be my stance as well.

I hate the nitpicking over weather though. This stuff is highly subjective and no amount of back and forth will change anyone's mind. This particular winter in Boston is an outlier given how mild it has been, so it's a bad example to illustrate how "not that bad" Boston's winters are. Again, I'd easily take a Boston winter over a Vegas summer, but mild winter or not, I still had to put on a jacket and scarf to walk to the T this morning, and yesterday morning, and the morning before that, etc. It's still going to be too cold for someone who is used to and prefers the Vegas climate.

Likewise, this heat index stuff is making me laugh a little. For someone (like me) who is comfortable with a cold/snowy winter and doesn't care for hot summers, nitpicking over whether or not Vegas actually feels hotter than places like Dallas, Houston, Savannah, etc. in the summer is irrelevant. ALL of those places get much hotter than I care for in the summer months. One of my biggest beefs living in DC was how hot July and August (and often June/September) got. I don't care if Vegas is marginally better or worse, it's still not close to what I consider comfortable.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Both suck but I'd choose Las Vegas summers as you dont need to worry about ice, or salt when it comes to car ownership. That plus no blizzards blowing in covering everything around you a 4 feet of snow or having to shovel out of your garage.

Old 01-29-2020, 01:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Boston winter is brutal, and has scarred me from cold climates. It's the windiest major city in the country. I've had snow pelting my face too many times to remember. It's also got one of the slowest temp increases in late winter and spring. Really noticed this when I moved to DC, which is cold but warms up much faster from mid Feb to May. Minneapolis and Chicago have higher avg high temps in April than Boston.
I mean temperature wise, Boston is no colder than other cities just as north of it, and there are even cities south of it (but further west) that are colder. Boston gets a lot of heavy snow events that a lot of other northern major cities do not get too.

I agree spring in Boston is total garbage though with how slow the warm up is compared to almost everywhere else in the country. There are plenty of times in April and May where you can look at a current temperature map of the country, and the entire Eastern US can be in the 60's and 70's until you get to Eastern New England where it's stuck in the 50's or even 40's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City