Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown do you prefer?
Downtown Miami 27 24.55%
Downtown Montreal 83 75.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 03:49 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times

Advertisements

This!!...if my body could still withstand cold winters I would be living in Manhattan but it cannot which is why I live in Miami (and prior to that SoCal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
The funny thing about this comparison is that although I find Montreal to be a superior city, without question, I'd still rather live in the Miami area.. I'm from the north east originally and I hated the weather there, and Montreal is even more brutally cold in the winter... Yes it's true that downtown Montreal is vastly superior to downtown Miami, but I like the Miami metro and surrounding areas far more.. I love the hot weather, the palm trees.. I love Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Miami, the Keys.. I love being close to the Caribbean, I love the gulf coast of Florida..etc..etc... But yes, if you're comparing central Montreal and it's amenities to central Miami, yes.. it's superior....but.. I'd still rather live in Miami..

Last edited by elchevere; 02-09-2020 at 04:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 03:57 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
The funny thing about this comparison is that although I find Montreal to be a superior city, without question, I'd still rather live in the Miami area.. I'm from the north east originally and I hated the weather there, and Montreal is even more brutally cold in the winter... Yes it's true that downtown Montreal is vastly superior to downtown Miami, but I like the Miami metro and surrounding areas far more.. I love the hot weather, the palm trees.. I love Miami Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, downtown Miami, the Keys.. I love being close to the Caribbean, I love the gulf coast of Florida..etc..etc... But yes, if you're comparing central Montreal and it's amenities to central Miami, yes.. it's superior....but.. I'd still rather live in Miami..
From the old Bill Cosby skit: “Noah... How long can you tread water.”

Old 02-09-2020, 08:38 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
So to steer the thread back on topic, are there any future projects that people are looking forward to that'll improve each cities downtowns? Either mega projects, attractions or infrastructure projects.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:47 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Wow. Miami is getting pummeled in this match-up. LOL

I mean, I realize Miami is newer and glitzier than Montreal, but not much love shown haha.

Montreal is on a whole other level though, honestly, than Miami.

Montreal is the 2nd largest city in Canada, so the equivalent that LA is to the US.

Old 02-09-2020, 02:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Wow. Miami is getting pummeled in this match-up. LOL

I mean, I realize Miami is newer and glitzier than Montreal, but not much love shown haha.

Montreal is on a whole other level though, honestly, than Miami.

Montreal is the 2nd largest city in Canada, so the equivalent that LA is to the US.
61 to 10. Yikes.

Downtown Miami is on the rise.

An Inspired Urban Development – Miami Worldcenter

Old 02-09-2020, 04:00 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
A few other developments:

https://www.thenextmiami.com/riversi...nding-opening/

https://www.thenextmiami.com/develop...owntown-miami/

https://www.thenextmiami.com/vertica...feet-proposed/

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
61 to 10. Yikes.

Downtown Miami is on the rise.

An Inspired Urban Development – Miami Worldcenter

Old 02-09-2020, 04:25 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
For Montreal, there are two major projects that I'm looking forward to and will improve the downtown even more.

1. Quartier des Lumieres: A major project on the massive lot of the old CBC tower in the Eastern part of downtown. It is split between multiple developers. The project is about 4.5M sq ft and will include (from the top of my head) condos, social housing, a school, entertainment/retail, a community centre, office space, two parks and a hotel. This area of downtown needs TLC big time.

https://quartierdeslumieres.info/apropos/ (FR only)

2. Esplanade Cartier: Another major project in the Eastern part of downtown. Phase 1 was announced last year, but it seems like the master plan will follow the Quartier des Lumieres. Heavy on the street-level presence, community space, definitely inspired by Brooklyn too.

https://esplanadecartier-prevel.ca/en/lifestyle/

There are other major projects too such as 60+ floor condos (which over here is considered "too tall"), there is about 2.2M sq ft of office space U/C, but these two projects outlined are gonna help fill urban gaps downtown. This also includes a massive food hall that opened on St. Laurent and added something more to the eastern part of downtown. This is also great because most of the development has been around the Bell Centre area/Western downtown, so it's nice to see the East get TLC now.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:05 PM

156 posts, read 174,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
This!!...if my body could still withstand cold winters I would be living in Manhattan but it cannot which is why I live in Miami (and prior to that SoCal).
Exactly.

I voted for Montreal, because if you're objectively comparing the city amenities, Montreal is simply better... However, if this thread was titled, "Would you rather live in Miami or Montreal," I would've voted Miami...
So in the end, I'd live in Miami, and I'd fly up to Montreal for a vacation every now and then... Good times..

Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Now I want to visit Montreal. May end up just taking a drive up there come summer.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:46 PM

801 posts, read 1,512,891 times
Miami still needs about 10 more years for its downtown to be even compared to Montreal's. The weather is better though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City