Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which downtown do you prefer?
Downtown Miami 27 24.55%
Downtown Montreal 83 75.45%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:50 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times

Advertisements

I just love how both these downtowns have been booming like crazy as of late (although Miami gets a huge edge here). In your opinions, what does the future hold for these downtowns? What do you expect to see/personal expectations in the next decade or so.

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2020 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 796 times
Wow, given the criteria, Miami actually fared quite well against Montreal.. That's testament to Miamis growth and change. I see a few Montreal boosters here trying to slyly dismiss Miami, but in reality, Miami did well! Over 20% voted for Miami, and we're only comparing downtowns? Go Miami!

Old 02-17-2020, 10:48 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairport2 View Post
Wow, given the criteria, Miami actually fared quite well against Montreal.. That's testament to Miamis growth and change. I see a few Montreal boosters here trying to slyly dismiss Miami, but in reality, Miami did well! Over 20% voted for Miami, and we're only comparing downtowns? Go Miami!
Well, if we compare the entire cities as opposed to just their downtowns, given the criteria, Montreal would probably run away with this even more than it has. Montreal as a whole is a large, urban city with some small suburban pockets. Miami is a large sunbelt city with some small, scattered urban pockets.

I also don't think anyone has dismissed Downtown Miami here: Just pointing out the obvious, that the two are in different leagues. As with all C-D polls, it looks like a lot of voters ignored the OP and voted based on personal preference, which isn't what this thread was supposed to be about.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:33 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,651,397 times
I noticed quite a few people who voted for Miami are new accounts with minimal posting, wonder if they're the same person lol. Also, there aren't any many boosters here, it is just people saying what their preferences are. I always love comparing modern downtowns compared to established ones, especially that I got the opportunity to live in them. Some people love DT MIA more, others love MTL more, or some can even be split, it happens.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:07 PM

444 posts, read 282,297 times
Cool drone video of night lighting in Montreal

Montreal

Old 11-19-2020, 06:17 PM

955 posts, read 609,913 times
Hmm, I'd have to go with Miami. More vibrant, more interesting, better weather for walking around all year round, better food options, etc.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Hmm, I'd have to go with Miami. More vibrant, more interesting, better weather for walking around all year round, better food options, etc.
I don’t understand this... More vibrant?? How? The two are not even remotely in the same league.
The rest is opinion (although aside from weather, I absolutely disagree) but vibrancy is a no-brainer in Montreal’s favor. Very few American cities compare. I’d like to hear more on this... Makes no sense at all.

Its up there as a top downtown for vibrancy in NA after NYC...

Old 11-19-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don’t understand this... More vibrant?? How? The two are not even remotely in the same league.
The rest is opinion (although aside from weather, I absolutely disagree) but vibrancy is a no-brainer in Montreal’s favor. Very few American cities compare. I’d like to hear more on this... Makes no sense at all.
I personally would say that outside of Vieux Montreal, downtown Montreal has some pretty big gaps in its urban fabric. It's still quite patchy, although I know they're trying. It reminds me of Philly 10 or 15 years ago. I wish them luck as it's a city with a lot of potential.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
I personally would say that outside of Vieux Montreal, downtown Montreal has some pretty big gaps in its urban fabric. It's still quite patchy, although I know they're trying. It reminds me of Philly 10 or 15 years ago. I wish them luck as it's a city with a lot of potential.
I disagree... It’s quite developed compare to most.
And... Vibrancy? I just don’t see it.

Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I disagree... It’s quite developed compare to most.
And... Vibrancy? I just don’t see it.
Well we can agree to disagree, but I do think Miami trumps Montreal in almost every category but that's just my experience having been in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City