Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta or Phoenix?
Phoenix, AZ 17 28.33%
Atlanta, GA 43 71.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 09:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I'm kind of upset about nobody liking Phoenix. Seems if you've been native long enough somewhere , you'd prefer somewhere else completely different. I'll say I prefer lush over dust , but still would take Phoenix over Atlanta. Traffic and infrastructure is better in Phoenix. Humidity is pretty bad especially if you're in and between the forests areas. You'll be in for a bit of a change in the winter months as Atlanta gets more than a few snaps of cold days with lows/highs around 25/45 sometimes, sometimes lower .I would pick south FL over Atlanta if you like water recreation over land recreation, and prefer beautiful winter temps.

I don't know what career you're in, so cant say for that. Both cities are good for tech though, Atlanta might have the upper hand on that one. If it's something new and different you want , keep exploring more areas on the coast.
They say the grass is always greener... but in this case the grass really is greener haha.

I don’t hate where I live. The long summers I detest. Ideally I’d live in Albuquerque as far as weather and scenery goes but there are no opportunities there. I’m a bit more ambitious and I find even Phoenix to be claustrophobic for my small niche to find work. My job is everywhere but in small numbers in all places, yes even rural Montana if I wanted, certain cities have a bit more concentration. I’m trying to identify those. Atlanta and DC are two of my best options, with some other major cities following quite a bit further behind.

Florida is way too hot I’m not interested in that. I like cold weather. If I wanted warmth all the time I’d stay where I am because then I have the option for easy escapes if I felt like it. This is why I’m not interested in New Orleans either, despite New Orleans being such a cool city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You are very welcome! And correct, Atlanta is the Southeastern hub for all Federal agencies with the exception of NASA. The State is pretty well known to not pay that well (but with good pensions), but Federal Agencies should pay the same as they would in Phoenix. The CDC employs approximately 15,000 in Atlanta.
Pay is something that is a huge con for Atlanta. 13k less over there than what I make here. That’s a big blow when you aren’t that high income. Atlanta might be cheaper but, I doubt that much cheaper.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmFltn View Post
Think humidity.
Think traffic and the beltway accidents always involve a tractor trailer since it is the artery Thru which much north/south traffic has to pass.
Good suburbia is from about 9 to 1 on the clock dial of the ATL metro area. Unfortunately, if you travel, the airport is at 7.
Different kind of bugs. Don’t go out in the summer after sundown. Mosquitoes are the state bird.
Downtown traffic is challenging and the roads are not very good.
Anywhere from Texas east is humid.
Lots more snakes.
Ponds and lakes are getting over run with alligators.
One statistic to look for is transience. (There may be a better term)Example, 20% of people turnover in Vegas. I believe the number is high for Atlanta.
None of this is unique to Atlanta.If the poster is wanting get out of Phoenix its gonna be a lot different pretty much whereever he/she goes.
Alligtators??Yeh.In the Atlanta Zoo.
Transient usually coincides with cities that have high college or military populations.Its a sign of a growing economy.Its not always a bad thing
Either still Atlanta is on par with Pheonix as well as many other big cities:
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...cities-in.html

Old 02-10-2020, 10:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Pay is something that is a huge con for Atlanta. 13k less over there than what I make here. That’s a big blow when you aren’t that high income. Atlanta might be cheaper but, I doubt that much cheaper.
Wow, that's really surprising. I don't understand the logic behind this, but hey - it's the Feds. It's higher for rent here, buying is slightly less in the burbs. Just like everywhere, Intown is getting quite expensive in the close-in desirable areas. Maybe another Agency or the CDC would be better. Good luck wherever you end up.

Old 02-11-2020, 03:06 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
Use the following criteria:

- Walkability/urbanity/ public transit: Atlanta MARTA wins over Valley Rail hands down!
- COL / QOL Phoenix slightly over Atlanta. You can still get downtown under $1200 in Phoenix, not possible in Midtown ATL right now...
- Weather - ATL is better in the summer, Phoenix is amazing in the winter and spring. Its a toss up personality, I am not a fan of Atlanta's humidity that reels deep into late August early September
- Economy/well-paying jobs (in relation to COL) Atlanta. Phoenix is a smaller metro and feels that way. Atlanta is bigger, more influential and carries more weight and stature in its region imo.
- Nightlife and other city amenities - Surprisingly I go with Phoenix. I like the Old Town Scottsdale/Milll Ave/Downtown 3 way you got going on these days. Too bad Valley metro doesn't go to OldTown and it would be a solid contender nationally. Oh Well, ATL had a little go 2012-2017 but it started to die down as of late and the scene is scattered outside of the house parties, and "events" that are invite only mostly. Downtown Phoenix has a more organic scene, and its very underground and feels more inclusive and diverse.
- Scenery and outdoor amenities) Phoenix because of the Sonoran Desert is beautiful and has majestic sunsets unlike anywhere in the U.S.
- International airport(s) for travel (cost of flights, good flight times, airport access ATL lol. Thats not even close.

Overall I would go with Atlanta with the criteria selected. However, Phoenix shines tremendously in many areas right now, hence its tremendous growth and appeal right now.
Phoenix is popular for a reason. It really is a beautiful and unique area. I have problems with the city itself, and the long summers only. I live in Tempe which has mostly dive bars for night life, and we have some good ones here. Mill is an easy Uber or Tempe orbit (free bus) ride away from where I am. I could also take the light rail if I wanted also. The big horizons are something I’ll probably really miss if I move back East the trees just interfere with that. Or you live in a high rise and just make up for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Wow, that's really surprising. I don't understand the logic behind this, but hey - it's the Feds. It's higher for rent here, buying is slightly less in the burbs. Just like everywhere, Intown is getting quite expensive in the close-in desirable areas. Maybe another Agency or the CDC would be better. Good luck wherever you end up.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I was comparing state and county jobs. State and county jobs here pay in the 40s-50s while in Atlanta they are advertising in the low to mid 30s (starting mind you). Feds are a bit more equal naturally and pay much better in comparison but are usually much harder to land. Cities tend to pay more than state and county, but I haven’t seen a job for a city in the Atlanta region yet. A city job in my area pays in the 60s or so for one of the main cities of the metro. Again that’s entry salary, economy has been good enough here to provide healthy annual raises. Supervisors can climb into the 70s and 80s here, but I’m not there yet. Again this is my field so YMMV for other industries.

To be fair Georgia isn’t the only one like that. Louisiana and Florida are the same way as far as pay scales go.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
- Walkability/urbanity/ public transit: Again, presumption, not 100% familiar with both, but based on what I know, probably Atlanta.
- COL / QOL: Not really sure, QOL is subjective.
- Weather: I like Atlanta's climate better
- Economy/well-paying jobs (in relation to COL): I'm presuming Atlanta again, but not sure.
- Nightlife and other city amenities: Atlanta
- Scenery and outdoor amenities: Depends on what you like.. Phoenix's might be more dynamic but Atlanta's more accessible
- International airport(s) for travel (cost of flights, good flight times, airport access): Atlanta IMO

Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,036 times
I’m from Phoenix and now live in Atlanta so here’s my take:

Use the following criteria:
- Walkability/urbanity/ public transit: Atlanta and it’s not even close. Atlanta’s in town neighborhoods especially are far more walkable and connected. Downtown ATL, Midtown, Buckhead, the Perimeter Center feel very urban and “big city”. Phoenix is the poster child of suburban sprawl and Downtown and Midtown Phx and the Biltmore area just don’t have that big city urban feel to me. Public transit is a toss up. Yes MARTA is way better than the super slow light rail in Phoenix but both are very much car dependent cities. I’ve only rode MARTA a handful of times.
- COL / QOL: Atlanta is expensive in it’s core but the COL is more or less comparable. Phoenix city limits are much larger than Atlanta city limits and therefore I feel like Phoenix has a lot more nicer areas. Ahwatukee, Central Phoenix, Arcadia, Desert Ridge are all very nice areas and within the city of Phoenix. Atlanta has more older historic neighborhoods that are very charming like Grant Park, Cascade, Virginia Highland, Fourth Ward, Inman Park, and the Druid Hills area are all great areas. Both cities offer a decent QOL just depends on what you’re looking for.
- Weather: I hate Phoenix summers with a passion and love the 4 season climate of Atlanta so Atlanta for me.
- Economy/well-paying jobs (in relation to COL): Atlanta and it’s not even close. Phoenix has come a long way but it’s still a blue collar city. Most of the high paying jobs are in the suburbs Chandler/Scottsdale/Tempe. Atlanta is a very corporate city home to a handful of Fortune 500 companies and many large companies have offices in the area.
- Nightlife and other city amenities: Neither city wows me with nightlife but Atlanta is lively enough
- Scenery and outdoor amenities:This is where Phoenix shines. The Sonoran Desert is gorgeous and the sunsets will leave you in awe. Georgia is a beautiful state but it can’t hold a candle to Arizona when it comes to scenery and outdoor amenities.
- International airport(s) for travel (cost of flights, good flight times, airport access): Hartsfield Jackson is the better airport but Sky Harbor is no slouch. Sky Harbor has to be the most centrally located airport in the country. You can get to any part of town in 30min from Sky Harbor. Hartsfield is on the far south side of town and a pain to get to especially in Atlanta traffic.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:15 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Atlanta.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:24 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
I'm from ATL but PHX weather is something that I haven't experienced before. PHX kind of look like Orlando in some spots to me (the surrounding areas kind of favor one another development-wise).

Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 AM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm from ATL but PHX weather is something that I haven't experienced before. PHX kind of look like Orlando in some spots to me (the surrounding areas kind of favor one another development-wise).
How does Phoenix look anything like Orlando?

Old 02-12-2020, 08:53 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Thank you for actually answering me with reasons why. I’m in the public sector and Atlanta is usually the “Southern hub” for all federal operations, on top of being the headquarters for one of my adjacent fields (CDC), and is also the capital so has more public sector jobs in general than just anywhere in Georgia. Problem is I’d think I’d have to move there first to get one of those jobs, which would put me out quite a bit of money for a high risk. But I think they may pay less in Georgia.
Not being local isn't an issue for most non-internal federal positions, many of which are open to all U.S. citizens but there will be more competition for them and you will typically have to relocate at your own expense. I'd imagine that *would* be an issue for state jobs though. And it makes sense that government salaries tend to be low in low-tax states like Georgia.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 02-12-2020 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City