Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 05:53 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,395,968 times

Advertisements

I am thinking your commentary on this topic is really about our past interactions on other topics.

Took me less than 20 seconds to find this:

Forsyth County, North Carolina

'As part of the rebranding, Visit Winston-Salem will be rolling out a new website optimized for mobile devices in September. After that, there will be a promotional campaign that will include billboards, radio and streaming television ads in the county’s top feeder markets of Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville/Spartanburg, Metro Atlanta and the Greater Washington, D.C. area. These markets produce the highest percentage of leisure travelers and are also hubs for meeting and convention planners. Visit Winston-Salem also plans to promote the city at 31 trade and appointment shows.'

So they do the exact same thing Greenville and basically every city of some size does, and they even run ads in Atlanta where you live despite W-S being a longer drive from Atlanta.

Greenville doesn't have to do marketing. It chooses to do it to boost tourism to benefit local businesses and bring in more tax revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 06:03 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I am thinking your commentary on this topic is really about our past interactions on other topics.
Sounds like more of that hypothetical mind reading at work again.

Quote:
Took me less than 20 seconds to find this:

Forsyth County, North Carolina

As part of the rebranding, Visit Winston-Salem will be rolling out a new website optimized for mobile devices in September. After that, there will be a promotional campaign that will include billboards, radio and streaming television ads in the county’s top feeder markets of Charlotte, Raleigh, Greenville/Spartanburg, Metro Atlanta and the Greater Washington, D.C. area. These markets produce the highest percentage of leisure travelers and are also hubs for meeting and convention planners. Visit Winston-Salem also plans to promote the city at 31 trade and appointment shows.

So they do the exact same thing Greenville and basically every city of some size does, and they even run ads in Atlanta where you live.

How interesting. I guess plenty of your neighbors are interested in W-S, even if you personally dismiss it. And I never said Greenville is the only place that runs ads, don't put words in my mouth. They do however plaster the airwaves here, nightly. No other destination even comes close, it's becoming obnoxious. I have yet to see any ads for Winston-Salem here, but good for them.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 PM

I haven't dismissed W-S. I don't treat cities like competitors in a football game.

You consistently distort my comments on here.

You said W-S is more substantial city than Greenville. I asked out of curiousity what you mean by that and I specifically said they seem similar to me.

How it is reasonable to then claim that I dismissed W-S. I have never said anything negative about W-S.

How it is obnoxious a city runs ads in Atlanta. Sounds like the classic #FirstWorldProblem

Greenville wouldn't run ads in Atlanta if they had no reason to believe a good number of ATL people would visit Greenville.

You literally said that W-S doesn't have to run ads, Greenville does. That's the reason I researched it. Both cities run ads. Both cities have tourism websites.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't dismissed W-S. I don't treat cities like competitors in a football game.

You consistently distort my comments on here.

You said W-S is more substantial city than Greenville. I asked out of curiousity what you mean by that and I specifically said they seem similar to me.

How it is reasonable to then claim that I dismissed W-S. I have never said anything negative about W-S.

How it is obnoxious a city runs ads in Atlanta. Sounds like the classic #FirstWorldProblem

Greenville wouldn't run ads in Atlanta if they had no reason to believe a good number of ATL people would visit Greenville.

You literally said that W-S doesn't have to run ads, Greenville does. That's the reason I researched it. Both cities run ads. Both cities have tourism websites.

And you like to argue and fight just for the sake of it. W-S has experienced a boom, perhaps they decided to tell the world about what's going on there. They previously had no reason to run ads, they have always been a more substantial City thoughout history.

And by obnoxious, I mean wall-to-wall ads, nightly - and it IS obnoxious.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM

You are projecting your personality onto me. I'm not distorting what you say on here, you are doing that to me.

You said that I dismissed W-S. I never dismissed W-S.

My impression of you is you are part of the small group of people on here that gets annoyed if I say I like living in Greenville or say something positive about it. Your complaining about Gville radio ads in Atlanta seems to support my impression. I'd rather hear a commercial about a city than one for something like Pepto-Bismol. You could always flip the station during commercial breaks.

I'm in Atlanta a good bit b/c my brother lives there, and I have never heard a Greenville ad on the radio. I think this wall to wall thing is a severe exaggeration.

I don't think average person outside of southeast would view W-S as any different than Greenville in terms of prominence.

Neither city has to run ads. You haven't provided any evidence Greenville would cease to exist if it didn't run ads. The growth of Greenville has been because of large employers moving in and the proximity of the Blue Ridge and the warmer climate. The Blue Ridge and the relatively warm climate is gonna pull in more people than radio ads.

It is not because of slick marketing.

I'm pretty sure even big cities like NYC and Denver have advertised in other metros to increase tourism in their cities. Every city has a tourism department and website and presence on social media.

The most well known brands in the world, Nike, McDonalds, Coke, etc still advertise.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-14-2020 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
You are projecting your personality onto me. I'm not distorting what you say on here, you are doing that to me.
You have issues, don't drag me into them.

Quote:
You said that I dismissed W-S. I never dismissed W-S.
You implied that locals wouldn't visit Old Salem often, which is dismissing something unique to the city that Greenville doesn't have an answer to. When I stated that W-S had an amazing track record with adaptive reuse of industrial buildings, you were dismissive of that as well claiming that Greenville also has that, along with cities elsewhere in the SE. It's clear that you have no clue of the massive scale of this that is transforming the core of W-S, but just had to minimize it against what Greenville has. You have Greenville on an imaginary pedestal, and seem to think no other place can touch or heaven forbid exceed it in some way.

Quote:
My impression of you is you are part of the small group of people on here that gets annoyed if I say I like living in Greenville or say something positive about it.
You can't stand Greenville to be compared with anyplace, and get extremely competitive and threatened by it every time. It unfortunately usually devolves into arguments and insults in thread after thread, exactly as is happening now.

Quote:
Your complaining about Gville radio ads in Atlanta seems to support my impression. I'd rather hear a commercial about a city than one for something like Pepto-Bismol. You could always flip the station during commercial breaks.

I'm in Atlanta a good bit b/c my brother lives there, and I have never heard a Greenville ad on the radio. I think this wall to wall thing is a severe exaggeration.

I don't think average person outside of southeast would view W-S as any different than Greenville in terms of prominence.

Neither city has to run ads. You haven't provided any evidence Greenville would cease to exist if it didn't run ads. The growth of Greenville has been because of large employers moving in and the proximity of the Blue Ridge and the warmer climate. The Blue Ridge and the relatively warm climate is gonna pull in more people than radio ads.

It is not because of slick marketing.

I'm pretty sure even big cities like NYC and Denver have advertised in other metros to increase tourism in their cities. Every city has a tourism department and website and presence on social media.

The most well known brands in the world, Nike, McDonalds, Coke, etc still advertise.
Reading comprehension is extremely important, and you're moving the goalposts as usual. I NEVER said radio ads, I said incessant TV ads. And to suggest I implied that Greenville would cease to exist if it didn't run ads is preposterous, and is yet another imaginary strawman created by your mind only.

The bottom line is that you clearly know nothing about Winston-Salem or what it has to offer, but are still hellbent on besting it. It's ridiculous, and the pattern keeps repeating.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

You implied that locals wouldn't visit Old Salem often, which is dismissing something unique to the city that Greenville doesn't have an answer to. When I stated that W-S had an amazing track record with adaptive reuse of industrial buildings, you were dismissive of that as well claiming that Greenville also has that, along with cities elsewhere in the SE. It's clear that you have no clue of the massive scale of this that is transforming the core of W-S, but just had to minimize it against what Greenville has. You have Greenville on an imaginary pedestal, and seem to think no other place can touch or heaven forbid exceed it in some way.

This sounds like homer commentary yet you accuse me of being a homer. I could easily say you are an Atlanta homer.

I made a comment that I don't think most people would consider Old Salem a big reason to live in W-S over Greenville or any other city. That's not a homer comment. It is not related to Greenville. You said that Old Salem makes W-S a more 'substantial city' than Greenville which seems like a homer kind of assertion. You also said downtown W-S is more lively than Greenville's downtown which I don't think is true. I think Gville's downtown is at least as lively as W-S.

You say that I put Greenville put on an 'imaginary pedestal'. What does that mean. That sounds like an imaginary concept. I have never at any point said something like 'Greenville is more substantial than x city'. You say stuff like that.

So if I accurately point out Greenville has a waterfall downtown and it is near the Blue Ridge and relatively mild winters, I've put it on a an 'imaginary pedestal' and I mean that there is no other nice cities out there. That's an incredible take.

You said that W-S didn't need to run ads and Greenville does to get people to visit, but it turns out W-S does run ads. I don't know how pointing this out is shifting the goalposts.

You've got it set up where if I don't have your opinion in a comparison topic, I'm a homer. And then you follow that up by accusing me of insulting you. How did I insult you.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-15-2020 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 06:56 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,045 times
Y’all both need to simmer down, ‘lest you want to make it look like that folks in your area aren’t hospitable to others. I know that isn’t the case. Back in college, I dated young ladies from both Winston-Salem and Greenville (and Atlanta—my home town), and they would say that you should mind your manners...

Old 02-15-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighSentinel View Post
Y’all both need to simmer down, ‘lest you want to make it look like that folks in your area aren’t hospitable to others. I know that isn’t the case. Back in college, I dated young ladies from both Winston-Salem and Greenville (and Atlanta—my home town), and they would say that you should mind your manners...
What did I said that was rude? It is not rude to push back on his assertion that I'm a homer or express my own opinions about the topic. If a person doesn't mirror his opinion about something, his default move is to call them a homer.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:13 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Greenville is a bit nicer overall, although both are decent or better. Nothing wrong with W-S, but Greenville has more places to go for fun in the evening. I think W-S is better for healthcare; education K-12 is probably a wash. If you live in W-S, it is unlikely you will be going to college there anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City