Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I love how you flag me for ignorance yet you ignored New Jersey in the H Mart Count.

Metro Philadelphia H Mart locations:
Elkins Park
Levittown
Upper Darby
Cherry Hill

That is only one less than Atlanta which has five. But when you include Philadelphia’s robust Chinatown with a myriad of Asian grocery options it is most certainly Philadelphia for the win in terms of diverse grocer options.

Add in NetCo and it’s a clear winner.

The fact you stated Las Vegas has America’s best Chinese is a total visual of the reality of Atlanta’s new money and how tainted it is to reality. Las Vegas does not have America’s best Chinese. The Asian population there is nearly nonexistent.

The best Asian food in the nation is in CA and NY.
JMatl didn't say anything about Chinese food in Las Vegas. I said the best that I've had was in Las Vegas, and noted that was better than what I had in NYC and Philly. Food is subjective. Nobody is really the best; it is on a case by case basis.

Quantity is the only objective argument concerning food.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:27 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
I would never move to the south, except for Atlanta. Which is my way of saying I respect Atlanta and it’s world scale but Philadelphia and it’s Metro is the 2nd largest city on the East Coast and from my observations most from Atlanta give zero respect to Philadelphia and the facts that Philadelphia is the larger and wealthier metro.

Not saying you cannot find some quality food in Atlanta. But in no way is it to the scale or ethnic diversity of Philadelphia which is one of the largest immigrant cities in the nation.

Not putting Atlanta down just stating facts. I am impressed by Atlanta’s Korean population tbh. But Philadelphia 100% has a larger Asian population, a true large and vibrant Chinatown and Koreatown and one less H Mart than Atlanta, but one of the largest Vietnamese and Filipino populations in the USA.

We have multiple Russian grocery store chains. I can keep going. I know Atlanta has none of this. https://www.netcostmarket.com/

I’m not saying Atlanta is bad. But Philadelphia is the winner based on facts.
Did you miss the facts someone posted showing the divesity index was higher in some meaasures than Philly?
Even in this study ,there are 3 metro area cities and Philly has NONE in the top 20
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-diverse-cities/12690/

Old 02-21-2020, 08:29 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Yep.There it is folks. You talk about new money yet clearly dont understand as you think its quaint to have a large portion of your city that is segregated by nationality. Obviously such an old money behind the times outdated way of thinking

When will Americans understand that Chinatowns are a symbol of segregation.PERIOD.
Chinese in Atlanta are all over the city and you can find them in groups largely but mixed in with other groups but nothing like a Chinatown.

The fact is you made a statement that clearly was misinformed.If Phillys metro was SOO FAR ahead in ethnic foods then how can any of this be.You know ,since Philly is so much larger and all.
Segregated?? Have you ever even stepped foot in Chinatown Philadelphia???

Most likely not. It is a beautiful and glorious thing. It is one of the most diverse and vibrant parts of this city. And that also includes the Italian Market neighborhood of Philadelphia. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

And yes there are large swaths of Asian populations, notably in Olney, Elkins Park, Cherry Hill and Upper Darby and the upper northeast where many immigrants from NYC are moving to Philadelphia. You clearly did not read the NYT article I posted which noted large swaths of immigrants from NYC are moving to Philadelphia. The article was published last year.

I do not dislike Atlanta. But the fact is Atlanta is a smaller and less diverse city. Simple as that. Facts are facts.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Most likely not. It is a beautiful and glorious thing. It is one of the most diverse and vibrant parts of this city. And that also includes the Italian Market neighborhood of Philadelphia. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

And yes there are large swaths of Asian populations, notably in Olney, Elkins Park, Cherry Hill and Upper Darby and the upper northeast where many immigrants from NYC are moving to Philadelphia. You clearly did not read the NYT article I posted which noted large swaths of immigrants from NYC are moving to Philadelphia. The article was published last year.

I do not dislike Atlanta. But the fact is Atlanta is a smaller and less diverse city. Simple as that. Facts are facts.
Philadelpjia is one of the most segregated cities in the US
https://247wallst.com/special-report...-in-america/2/

Old 02-21-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Facts are Facts but you choose the ones you like instead of just being fair.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Philadelpjia is one of the most segregated cities in the US
https://247wallst.com/special-report...-in-america/2/

Atlanta ranks higher in terms of more segregated city on this list you just shared. Which again tells me you do not read things.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-21-2020 at 09:07 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Atlanta ranks higher in terms of more segregated city on this list you just shared. Which again tells me you do not read things.
OMG! Jeez.I guess I have to spell it out for you AGAIN
I did read. My point was(AGAIN) YOU are making Philly out to be something its not.That was to show Philly simply in some ways is no better than Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
very nice videos. That planned community is fascinating, though I don't know if I agree with your analysis that there is "nothing like it in philly" or that it's "fully sustainable". It's basically a small planned town that put the land around it in conservation, no? I understand the mind set of being eco-friendly, but that's not really what fully sustainable means. People still drive around and go to the grocery store no? I feel like a place like New Hope, Pennsylvania is basically what that place is trying to emulate. A place for rich hippies to have stuff like a blacksmith, glass blowing shop, art galleries, etc.

For comparisons sake a few random places in the different counties around Philadelphia.

West Chester (Chester County)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U_6rr0U0cE

Doylestown (Bucks County)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLj0RuVHLyg

Media (Delaware County)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26wrFAyvG64

Lower Merion (Montgomery County)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFoAlwScg20

New Hope (Bucks along the river, also the LGBT capital of PA)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mgjOOkZ5e0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6llh2RfqfHo
Serenbe is sustainable as it produces its own food for the residents.Yes like many small towns,you have to drive for more variety
Here is Serenbe Farms
https://serenbefarms.com/
They have their own markets and retail like any small town for more cheaper options and more variety ,you will have to leave the community.

And if Philly does have something similar,then please be my guest and show us.

The thing is yall are focusing on high end areas where the vast majority dont live and cant afford, Much of Philly suburbs are not these picturesque cities.
Most of them are more like Yeadon,Upper Darby,Cherry Hill etc. Just average middle class places.
Its simply not reality that this is the majority of Philly just like Apharetta,Roswell,Sandy Springs,John Creek are not the majority of Atlanta suburbs.
The difference is what many of Philly "defenders" of which I consider myself one as well as I am Atlanta defender,is that Philly has some really bad suburbs.Its not matter of dwelling on it.It just does.
The other thing is that Phillys average suburbs are nothing special at all. The housing is ordinary at best and lacks the diversity of styles you see in similar neighborhoods in the South.No matter how many of you feel the need to distance Jersey suburbs from Philly, it doesnt make a sense. Its still Philly metro

Here is East Point in the Southern suburbs of Atlanta.Its supposedly has been called the most dangerous city in GA.
https://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/he...s-city-georgia
Here are some videos
This shopping center has everything anyone would want and is actually walkable from the many apartments and subdivisions connected by wide and extensive sidewalks throughout the area as well as bus service to the Subway which is less than 2 miles away. Not in a traditional sense but its a large development with ots of businesses and housing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZUJByhiztU

Here is a home in a subdivision in that same area.
https://www.newhomesource.com/commun...t-homes/110426

Now remember thats the suburb thats suppose to be the most dangerous.

Now here is Camden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu7sKtbocPs

Camden County population shurnk -0.14. No county in the Atlanta metro saw a population decline/Not even Clayton which is the closest thing we have to Camden.Nowhere in Clayton is there anything as bad as Camden but there are some troubled spots just like there are some nice spots there and in Camden too.

So if your average suburban counties are lacking in everything from retail to housing options as well as Philly having much worse dangerous suburban cities,then how does Philly overall have better suburban areas/counties when some of its entire counties have stagnant populations.Atlanta doesnt have one county with even a declining population.
Thats not a good sign

So we can trade most beautiful suburbs all day for both cities.
The truth of the matter is Phiily does have some wonderful suburbs that very bucolic.I wont say better as I feel that is entirely subjective. Believe it or not,not every one wants old quiant architecture just like not everyone likes new urbanism . Personally I like both but I like them together,This is why I prefer the burbs in Atlanta. You have the historic squares in some of those suburbs but new urbanist developments have and are being built to accommodate to more modern living. Its a great mix that gives lots of flexibility.

this notion that they are somehow less pedestrian or less beautiful is just pure bias

Old 02-21-2020, 09:37 PM

Clever One you have no idea what you are talking about.

I agree that development in Atlanta is cute. Serenbern Farms though is not a town. It is a new urbanist development! lol One development of literally a measly 300 homes!!!

This does not define metro Atlanta on any level.

Also the Main Line, Pennsylvania has much more diverse housing stock than you give it credit for. Sure it has $20+Million dollar multi acre estates but it also has smaller twin homes in the village and town center that Serenbern tries to emulate.

To be honest the place you most emulate most as Atlanta surburbs, "Serenbern" is the definition of what the Main Line is.

But the Main Line is authentic and draws it historical routes to the 1800s. It is not fake urbanism of 300 homes. But a string of nearly 20 towns and villages with all walkable communities and bucolic countryside suburbs.

I encourage you to watch the video. And be delightfully surprised.

[vimeo]64088509[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/64088509

This is exactly what Serenbern is modeled after. The difference is. This is a development of 500 people. The Main Line is comprised of 150k people and many parts are actually diverse with diverse housing stock and population along strong transit lines.

Again this is a community Kobe Bryant grew up in.

Then add in Brandywine Valley where the Duponts and many other estates are located, upper Montgomery County and the area around Lower Gwynnedd which is the same character and Central Bucks. And I am sorry but Atlanta. has nothing on this region. I love the fake towns Atlanta is building. Do they have a train station to Atlanta's core?? I think not.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:51 PM

193 posts, read 204,221 times
Other than land area (135-square-miles each within city limits) and metropolitan population (about 6,000,000 each), I don't see Atlanta and Philadelphia as similar cities at all. Philly is an historic NORTHERN industrial city of about 1.6 million people. It is an old city (1682), densely populated (11,700 ppsm) built around public transit with a compact downtown surrounded by rowhouse neighborhoods that seem to extend forever.

Atlanta, OTOH, is a relatively young (1837) SOUTHERN city (475,000 people) built around the needs and demands of the private automobile. Consequently density is low (3,500 ppsm) with multiple urban (commercial/hi-rise residential) cores along the Peachtree Street corridor and little rowhouse development in the heart of the city. To me, walking around downtown Atlanta (when I was last there) felt nothing at all like walking in Center City Philadelphia.

Philadelphia and Atlanta are major American cities where one can find just about anything one wants-- from schools to shopping to culture to sports. But Atlanta is a booming auto-oriented Sunbelt city with a rapidly growing metro population. It has much more in common with other large Sunbelt cities (Dallas, Houston, Phoenix). Philadelphia is a pedestrian-oriented old northern city with growth that is slow but steady. However, it has been a big city for a long time (1.3 million people in 1900) and has much more in common with Boston and New York.

It does seem that most Americans today prefer the warmer climate and suburban lifestyle of cities like Atlanta. Others, like myself however, prefer an urban environment that doesn't require an automobile to survive. That's the main reason why I moved from Fort Lauderdale to Philadelphia eighteen years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City