Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 06:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Well how nice for you, dismissive much? And if you think Nashville and Austin beat out Atlanta's Dining scene, I have some pretty property for sale about 20 miles East of Fort Myers you may be interested in.
I would never move to the south, except for Atlanta. Which is my way of saying I respect Atlanta and it’s world scale but Philadelphia and it’s Metro is the 2nd largest city on the East Coast and from my observations most from Atlanta give zero respect to Philadelphia and the facts that Philadelphia is the larger and wealthier metro.

Not saying you cannot find some quality food in Atlanta. But in no way is it to the scale or ethnic diversity of Philadelphia which is one of the largest immigrant cities in the nation.

Not putting Atlanta down just stating facts. I am impressed by Atlanta’s Korean population tbh. But Philadelphia 100% has a larger Asian population, a true large and vibrant Chinatown and Koreatown and one less H Mart than Atlanta, but one of the largest Vietnamese and Filipino populations in the USA.

We have multiple Russian grocery store chains. I can keep going. I know Atlanta has none of this. https://www.netcostmarket.com/

I’m not saying Atlanta is bad. But Philadelphia is the winner based on facts.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Well how nice for you, dismissive much? And if you think Nashville and Austin beat out Atlanta's Dining scene, I have some pretty property for sale about 20 miles East of Fort Myers you may be interested in.
I don't get the food argument at all. Let's take pizza for example: NYC is said to have the best pizza in the country, of all the cities I've been to, and have eaten pizza, NYC would rank dead last, and that's after trying pizza at multiple mom & pop shops. I would rank DC, a city that isn't known for pizza tied at number 1 with Chicago as the best. I'd rank Las Vegas as having the best Chinese even thought Vegas isn't known for Chinese, and having eaten in China Town in both NYC and Phily.

What good is an award gonna do accept promote the business?

Old 02-21-2020, 06:22 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would never move to the south, except for Atlanta. Which is my way of saying I respect Atlanta and it’s world scale but Philadelphia and it’s Metro is the 2nd largest city on the East Coast and from my observations most from Atlanta give zero respect to Philadelphia and the facts that Philadelphia is the larger and wealthier metro.

Not saying you cannot find some quality food in Atlanta. But in no way is it to the scale or ethnic diversity of Philadelphia which is one of the largest immigrant cities in the nation.

Not putting Atlanta down just stating facts. I am impressed by Atlanta’s Korean population tbh. But Philadelphia 100% has a larger Asian population, a true large and vibrant Chinatown and Koreatown and one less H Mart than Atlanta, but one of the largest Vietnamese and Filipino populations in the USA.

We have multiple Russian grocery store chains. I can keep going. I know Atlanta has none of this. https://www.netcostmarket.com/

Feel better now?

I responded specifically to MarketStEl as I had promised several days ago, as he was legitimately interested in the Middle Eastern scene here. I never made any claims that Atlanta had more than Philly, in fact I started out my post with that very observation.

You have obviously never been here, yet make sweeping pronouncements as fact as if you have eaten you way across the Metro. To claim that Nashville and Austin best our scene proves it.

And since you want to get nasty, I'll play. You still can't count, Atlanta has two more H-Marts than Philly. Now figure out a way to somehow minimize that as well. I'm sure you can.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:24 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:

Miami and DC metros have moved ahead of Philly in population. Atlanta was estimated at having less than 100k less than Philly, and has probably already passed Philly as well.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Feel better now?

I responded specifically to MarketStEl as I had promised several days ago, as he was legitimately interested in the Middle Eastern scene here. I never made any claims that Atlanta had more than Philly, in fact I started out my post with that very observation.

You have obviously never been here, yet make sweeping pronouncements as fact as if you have eaten you way across the Metro. To claim that Nashville and Austin best our scene proves it.

And since you want to get nasty, I'll play. You still can't count, Atlanta has two more H-Marts than Philly. Now figure out a way to somehow minimize that as well. I'm sure you can.
I love how you flag me for ignorance yet you ignored New Jersey in the H Mart Count.

Metro Philadelphia H Mart locations:
Elkins Park
Levittown
Upper Darby
Cherry Hill

That is only one less than Atlanta which has five. But when you include Philadelphia’s robust Chinatown with a myriad of Asian grocery options it is most certainly Philadelphia for the win in terms of diverse grocer options.

Add in NetCo and it’s a clear winner.

The fact you stated Las Vegas has America’s best Chinese is a total visual of the reality of Atlanta’s new money and how tainted it is to reality. Las Vegas does not have America’s best Chinese. The Asian population there is nearly nonexistent.

The best Asian food in the nation is in CA and NY.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 02-21-2020 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 06:43 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
I love how you flag me for ignorance yet you ignored New Jersey in the H Mart Count.

Elkins Park
Levittown
Upper Darby
Cherry Hill

I hardly ignored it, I didn't even see that NJ was listed.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:08 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:
Feel better now?

Not to mention Nam Dae Mun and a host of other national and local Asian markets.
As well as Turkish,Brazilian,Indian, Ethiopian etc. This is getting ridiculous

Old 02-21-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I hardly ignored it, I didn't even see that NJ was listed.
Clearly blatant ignorance.

Here is a video of the Main Line, Pennsylvania. One of the most bucolic suburban regions in the nation.

https://vimeo.com/64088509

I think that Atlanta development you showed is great. Because it literally resembles an entire region. Known as the Main Line. I think it is positive Atlanta is making strides.

You also cannot compare the regions suburban transit networks. Atlanta is a suburb of Highways. Philadelphia has the least developed highway network of any major metro and that is solely due to the fact it has one of the most expansive suburban transit networks in the nation, including the nation's largest trolley network which extends deep into its suburbs and one of the largest commuter rail networks in the country.

This is precisely what gives Southeast Pennsylvania suburbs so much character. With the lack of highway infrastructure it literally feels for a vast majority of the suburbs you are in the countryside, despite having all suburban and urban amenities at your disposal.

If anything the developer of that wonderful Atlanta project should study the balance that SEPA holds in terms of open space preservation, village center investment and transit infrastructure.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,025,416 times
Quote:

Elkins Park
Levittown
Upper Darby
Cherry Hill

That is only one less than Atlanta which has five. But when you include Philadelphia’s robust Chinatown with a myriad of Asian grocery options it is most certainly Philadelphia for the win in terms of diverse grocer options.

Add in NetCo and it’s a clear winner.

Quote:
The fact you stated Las Vegas has America’s best Chinese is a total visual of the reality of Atlanta’s new money and how tainted it is to reality. Las Vegas does not have America’s best Chinese. The Asian population there is nearly nonexistent.
The best Asian food in the nation is in CA and NY.
Yep.There it is folks. You talk about new money yet clearly dont understand as you think its quaint to have a large portion of your city that is segregated by nationality. Obviously such an old money behind the times outdated way of thinking

When will Americans understand that Chinatowns are a symbol of segregation.PERIOD.
Chinese in Atlanta are all over the city and you can find them in groups largely but mixed in with other groups but nothing like a Chinatown.

The fact is you made a statement that clearly was misinformed.If Phillys metro was SOO FAR ahead in ethnic foods then how can any of this be.You know ,since Philly is so much larger and all.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:25 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,639 times
This is going exactly like another Philadelphia vs Atlanta thread from about 4/5 years ago. Yep, it got locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City