Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
LOl
You really dont know what you are talking about.There is legislation specifically aimed at getting production back to LA because Georgia is booming
Georgia is no longer the No. 1 filming location in the world.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...roduction.html

There are several shows that show Atlanta wealthy blacks.Ambitions is just one of them
Yes, I'm aware that Georgia has a ton of filming. But until drop their entire lives and leave their families/loved ones behind to move to Atlanta to "make it" in the entertainment industry, LA will still have a lock on that IMO. That said, I do find it hilarious that people still think it's possible to just up and move your entire life and head to LA and become famous. There is far too much competition, plus not enough filming in LA so it's even harder to "make it in Hollywood" than it was before. Like the article you posted, Atlanta and Vancouver are taking so much of that business away that it's even harder. I know some stuff has been filmed in Wilmington NC before. North Jersey has had a lot of filming lately. Especially Jersey City and Newark as stand-ins for NYC.

Either way, though, I would never disagree that Philly's entertainment industry is nearly non-existent compared to Atlanta's. I may prefer Philly overall, but I readily admit what Atlanta does better at.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:32 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yeah Atlanta's film industry is huge and growing consistently. It's not a real real threat to LA right now, but it could be in the future. It's a threat for sure, but not enough to make people who dream of making it big skip LA and head to Atlanta instead for casting calls and such.

There are a lot of reality shows filmed in Atlanta also. Love Is Blind (a new reality dating show) is currently the #1 show on Netflix and it is filmed (mostly) in Atlanta. Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta. The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Chrisley Knows Best. Property Virgins (HGTV). The newer ***** Eye. When looking at other shows, I find it significant that Married to Medicine is set in Atlanta and the cast is all black. This purposely attempts to diverge from the stereotype of Atlanta being dominated by the black music/entertainment scene, and it shows that Atlanta's black community is highly varied and successful.

This is absolutely one category where without a doubt Philly is demolished. Philly has some things filming there, but nothing like Atlanta.

Edit: Apparently the title of that show is not allowed to be typed out and it automatically starred out what I wrote. We know the show.
Growing up Hip-hop
Braxton Family Values

Old 02-25-2020, 12:13 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Map Man View Post
I looked at Real GDP growth for both cities 'core' metro counties: Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett for ATL; Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Philadelphia for PHL.

2018 Annual Real GDP Growth:

Clayton: -1.5%
Cobb: +2.6%
DeKalb: +3.4%
Fulton: +2.4%
Gwinnett: +2.4%

-----------

Bucks: +2.5%
Chester: +1.8%
Delaware: +2.5%
Montgomery: +3.4%
Philadelphia: +3.6%

https://www.bea.gov/data/gdp/gdp-cou...nd-other-areas

If 2018 is the most recent snapshot, we can conclude that the inner core of Philly is growing faster than the inner core of Atlanta. In the collar counties, Philly's are on par with Atlanta's.

IMO "anemic growth" would be between 0% - 1%.

I don't have longer term data to show the trend, but per my perception, I would gauge that Atlanta's growth would be higher but more volatile from year-to-year due to the difference in size & diversity as I mentioned in my original post.
wow.
lol
Yall just cant give up.
So you picked 5 counties(your metrics) and decided that Philly is growing the same as Atlanta even though Philly growth in the city alone was less than 2% and Atlanta was the 8th fastest growing large city in the US?

If you Google "fastest growing metros in the US" Philly will NOT show up.So what does that tell you?

Old 02-25-2020, 12:28 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times
Quote:
wow.
lol
Yall just cant give up.
So you picked 5 counties(your metrics) and decided that Philly is growing the same as Atlanta even though Philly growth in the city alone was less than 2% and Atlanta was the 8th fastest growing large city in the US?

If you Google "fastest growing metros in the US" Philly will NOT show up.So what does that tell you?
I'm confused as to how this data is disingenuous. Both groups of 5 are groups of counties integral to their respective MSAs. Philadelphia City/County is growing quicker than any other county listed. How is that a lie?

Old 02-25-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware that Georgia has a ton of filming. But until drop their entire lives and leave their families/loved ones behind to move to Atlanta to "make it" in the entertainment industry, LA will still have a lock on that IMO. That said, I do find it hilarious that people still think it's possible to just up and move your entire life and head to LA and become famous. There is far too much competition, plus not enough filming in LA so it's even harder to "make it in Hollywood" than it was before. Like the article you posted, Atlanta and Vancouver are taking so much of that business away that it's even harder. I know some stuff has been filmed in Wilmington NC before. North Jersey has had a lot of filming lately. Especially Jersey City and Newark as stand-ins for NYC.

Either way, though, I would never disagree that Philly's entertainment industry is nearly non-existent compared to Atlanta's. I may prefer Philly overall, but I readily admit what Atlanta does better at.
Yes.People are packing up and moving out of California to work SPECIFICALLY in Georgia because there is SOO much business here.
Ive met many who have and have considered it.
Georgia has been buikding the infrastructure for years to have not only production but post production industry as well.
I just saw how a man who designs props had a business in LA and relocated to GA.
They are booming since they moved here.Here is the news clip

http://www.11alive.com/video/news/lo...b6?jwsource=cl

Quote:
Mark Damon’s DCR Finance Corp., co-headed with financer Adi Cohen, has received a $150 million investment from Go Media Productions for Georgia projects, Variety has learned exclusively.

Damon, whose credits include “2 Guns” and “Lone Survivor,” made the announcement Monday with Cohen. The deal calls for Atlanta-based Go Media Productions to join a private placement as a lead investor and provide up to $150 million in exchange for the investment being channeled back into the Georgia
film
What you dont understand is that its beyond just shooting movies. Everytime Im in Atlanta which is twice a month a least ,I am meet people in social circles who moved to Atlanta from LA or like the two girls from Chicago I met whp had never even been to LA.

Im not saying ATL is LA but its been pulling people for years well before the movie industry for its music scene. Stands to reason that the movie industry was soon to follow if it got big enough and it has gotten to that point already.
You can again Google how many articles specifically about California trying to stop the flow of jobs out the state but mostly mention GEORGIA.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/m...ng-1203305580/

Old 02-25-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I'm confused as to how this data is disingenuous. Both groups of 5 are groups of counties integral to their respective MSAs. Philadelphia City/County is growing quicker than any other county listed. How is that a lie?
Because thats HIS/HER metric. They dont pick 5 counties in each metro to decide which are growing.
Atlanta has almost 30 counties in its MSA and even more in the CSA.
Philly barely grew in its city and Atlanta in its city grew more than 5 times that of Philly by percentage.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...ania/BZA010217

Atlanta is in mostly Fulton County.So compare Fulton COunty to Philadelphia County thats 14.1% vs 3,8 and Atlanta city growth rate is 16.7% and Philly growth was .07%

Tell me thats not anemic

Old 02-25-2020, 12:43 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,510,947 times
Quote:

The only statistic that means anything to that person is pure population growth percentages.

Lets hope because Atlanta starts growing a little faster because..

just remember

Atlanta land size: 135.73 sq mi
Philadelphia land size: 134.28 sq mi

Philadelphia population 2009: 1,469,000
Atlanta population 2009: 483,450

Philadelphia population 2019: 1,572,816
Atlanta population 2019: 498,044

10 year population change:
Philadelphia: +103,816
Atlanta: +14,594

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 02-25-2020 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 12:47 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
South Jersey drags down the Philadelphia metro, perhaps that is why the Philadelphia metro growth doesn't appear as robust overall. The Southeastern PA portion (the majority of the metro) is doing just fine.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM

55 posts, read 35,945 times
Quote:
Because thats HIS/HER metric. They don't pick 5 counties in each metro to decide which are growing.
Atlanta has almost 30 counties in its MSA and even more in the CSA.
Both cities conveniently have 5 counties that make up their core metros and makes for the closest apples to apples comparison. Counties that are 60 miles away are not part of the core metro and don't make for good comparisons because there are factors driving economic growth that are independent of said city.

While population growth, and even job growth are indicators that a city is broadly 'growing,' it is not the same as GDP which represents economic output. You claimed that Philadelphia had "anemic economic growth" which is a false claim.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:31 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:

Atlanta does run circles around Philly in film and TV production, and even more so since a bunch of state tax credits Pennsylvania offered movie productions to film here expired, but there's still some location shooting taking place here.

The offices of the mag I write for will stand in for those of a New York-based online mag modeled after Vice in a movie that I believe is set for release sometime this year; its name escapes me right now but it's a crime/suspense thriller of some sort IIRC set in New York.

There was also shooting outside our building for the AMC series "Dispatches from Elsewhere," shot and set here; I think it either just premiered or premiered soon.

I was pitched an item about a North Philly rowhouse the producers of the new film "Concrete Cowboys," starring Idris Elba, rigged to support the weight of a horse inside it while that film, also shot and set here - I think it deals with the riding club and stables in West Philly's Cobbs Creek Park - was shooting, but the movie's producers shot the story down, at least until the film is released; I hope to revisit the subject then.

M. Night Shyamalan - the closest thing we have to Tyler Perry here, and as a media brand, he's a far cry from Perry - also built a movie studio in Norristown. I don't know if he's at work on another film or whether anyone else is using it.

FWIW, here's the chronology of the revived "Q***r Eye" on Netflix:

Seasons 1 and 2: shot in Atlanta. Aired 2018.
Seasons 3 and 4: shot in Kansas City. Aired 2019.
Season 5: shot in Philadelphia. To air this year.
I think there's also a mini-season shot in Japan that aired last fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City