Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta + Metro v. Philadelphia + Metro
Atlanta 55 42.97%
Philadelphia 73 57.03%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 12:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,026,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
What are you talking about? Millennials absolutely love Philly.

https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...al-population/
https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/apartm...l-strongholds/
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/st...le-millennials

Again, population growth rates or raw numbers DO NOT equate to being better. Are we really going to say that NYC, Chicago and LA are terrible because they actually lost people last year? I mean yes, a shrinking population over a long period of time can be bad. But what is so bad about slow and steady growth? And population increase does not determine per se which is better. It simply only determines which is growing faster. At the end of the day, Philly still has a larger economy and a higher GDP per capita.

Also, I've yet to meet a millennial who has visited Philly and left unhappy. If anything, most NYC millennials who have been there love Philly. Those who have never been are just elitist and like to perpetuate stereotypes of both Philly and NJ. DC millennials also love Philly. Its popularity is basically due to how much millennials love its urbanity, history, nightlife, large economy, and more affordable housing market as compared to other major urban and walkable cities.
Wait ...Philly won right?So what else do you have to prove even though its been passed in population by 4 metros and can only gain 20% in 10 years of the 500,000 of its population loss?
I guess it doesnt matter its gotten passed by other metros and will soon be passed by Atlanta soon as well.
Dont worry ,you won a CD poll LOL WoW

Old 02-26-2020, 01:02 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Only people with long histories or ties to that region want to go there.
Yeah, this isn't accurate in the least. I came to Philly at 18 with absolutely no ties to the city, did 4 years of undergrad and 5 years of post-grad life here. I could have gone a lot of other places, and I could have left many times, but I stayed for 9 years. When I think back on some of my close friends when I lived there, one was from Chile, one from New Hampshire, one from Ohio, and one native to Philly. Stop making ridiculous claims that are not true in the slightest.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:08 PM

9,378 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Wait ...Philly won right?So what else do you have to prove even though its been passed in population by 4 metros and can only gain 20% in 10 years of the 500,000 of its population loss?
I guess it doesnt matter its gotten passed by other metros and will soon be passed by Atlanta soon as well.
This post comes off as beyond passive aggressive and self-righteous. Its almost like you are trying to prove to yourself that Atlanta is better.... Just leave it alone already....

And for someone who "loves" Philadelphia, you sure have a weird way of showing it. This has to be one of the worst and probably meanest posts I have seen on this thread, and note, it is coming from an Atlanta poster toward Philadelphia... I haven't seen a similar attack toward Atlanta since back on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

Lastly, if Atlanta were winning this poll you would make it very well known, but since its not, its rigged....

Old 02-26-2020, 01:15 PM

55 posts, read 35,979 times
City of Brotherly Love vs. Hotlanta sums it up this entire thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:16 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
It’s not a jab. It’s just what it is, Mutiny. When people think of going to east coast, NYC or DC hits their mind.
You said, "Only people with long histories or ties to that region want to go there."

That's a jab. Just own it.

Quote:
No one saying Philly doesn’t get visitors.
But you're saying only people who are already familiar with Philly on a firsthand basis want to visit and that's just not true.

Quote:
Also, to your previous post, it’s not about my teenybop years, I’m now a few years into 30. I just know Atlanta is much more popular with young adults and kids, these are the people to shape our forthcoming trends, not these in the upper 40s or 50.

And I know tastes and things change over time, but not that much. For example, I know I will never prefer a place like Milwaukee. Cold and stagnant. Being into nightlife/socialite scene will always be a priority, maybe the type of place and frequency will change, but it’s just who I am.

I could do a DC, Houston, Dallas... maybe even in a Charlotte within the next 10 years. These places are growing and I like that over more stagnant places
Your tastes will change, I can guarantee it. I mean both Philly and Atlanta are already 6M+ metros. If you want someplace bigger, then now's the time to move to a Chicago, LA, or NYC. Just because a place isn't posting huge net growth numbers anymore doesn't mean it's no longer a dynamic, vibrant place and I think that's the misconception. And Philly's definitely no Milwaukee.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
You have yet to prove how being bigger=being better, but okay. Looks like someone thinks size is everything. JS. People living in Philly and other Northern cities with slow growth don't have their lives impacted whatsoever by losing in population to another Sunbelt city. The day Atlanta passes Philly in population, there will be no mourning in the streets. It will not be the talk of the town. Literally nobody will care. It doesn't affect the quality of the city or its culture or its vibrancy or its geographic location whatsoever. It will not make the universities worse. It will not stop SEPTA from running a 24/7 public transit system. It will not cause Rittenhouse to fall into disrepair. It will not cause KOP to lose all its business and go bankrupt. Literally only Sunbelt boosters on here care about their cities/metros passing a Northern city/metro. Like the obsession of Houston/Chicago. Chicago residents don't care that Houston is catching up. Same way that Philly residents don't care that Atlanta is catching up. Because size.isn't.everything. If it were, then China would be the greatest country on earth and India would be second. Delhi would be the 9th best metro in the world. Baghdad would be better than Dallas.

And if you think negative growth equals a failing city every single time, NYC and LA are far from failing cities.

Old 02-26-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This post comes off as beyond passive aggressive and self-righteous. Its almost like you are trying to prove to yourself that Atlanta is better.... Just leave it alone already....

And for someone who "loves" Philadelphia, you sure have a weird way of showing it. This has to be one of the worst and probably meanest posts I have seen on this thread, and note, it is coming from an Atlanta poster toward Philadelphia... I haven't seen a similar attack toward Atlanta since back on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

Lastly, if Atlanta were winning this poll you would make it very well known, but since its not, its rigged....
You know what You are so fake.
I find it strange you only thought my response to an actual passive aggressive post was as such. I dont give weight to CD polls because they are rigged.I never mention it ,Only time I will quote a poll is if its overwhelmingly lopsided.

Like this poll with Philly and Houston
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ladelphia.html

LA vs Philly
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...s-angeles.html

Any sunbelt city on this site will always loose with the exception of Miami or LA

Last edited by CleverOne; 02-26-2020 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 02:01 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Reading some of the replies lol

Old 02-26-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You have yet to prove how being bigger=being better, but okay. Looks like someone thinks size is everything. JS. People living in Philly and other Northern cities with slow growth don't have their lives impacted whatsoever by losing in population to another Sunbelt city. The day Atlanta passes Philly in population, there will be no mourning in the streets. It will not be the talk of the town. Literally nobody will care. It doesn't affect the quality of the city or its culture or its vibrancy or its geographic location whatsoever. It will not make the universities worse. It will not stop SEPTA from running a 24/7 public transit system. It will not cause Rittenhouse to fall into disrepair. It will not cause KOP to lose all its business and go bankrupt. Literally only Sunbelt boosters on here care about their cities/metros passing a Northern city/metro. Like the obsession of Houston/Chicago. Chicago residents don't care that Houston is catching up. Same way that Philly residents don't care that Atlanta is catching up. Because size.isn't.everything. If it were, then China would be the greatest country on earth and India would be second. Delhi would be the 9th best metro in the world. Baghdad would be better than Dallas.

And if you think negative growth equals a failing city every single time, NYC and LA are far from failing cities.
Why would I have to prove something I never said?It was not I who brought up population at first.Philly posters did so once you didnt like the response now all of a sudden Im the one who said it was better.
So biased because you rather only hear good stuff while you make false statements about another city then act like you didnt just make up those statements/

More than one of you have said:
Atlanta has no film industry of consequence
Atlanta only has mainly cheap inexpensive less exclusive schools
Atlanta doesnt have more f500 companies.
The list goes on and on.Yall pivot and move on to the next subject when you are proven wrong then Im the one downing Philly? yeh right
Anyone folloing thsi thread who isnt biased can see exactly how this is going.

It takes 4 of yall to attack me when between all of yall,I am the only one who has backed up everything I have said. In fact nothing I said was bad,it was just bad to yall because you cant stand the critizism.
EVERY single time someone says Atlanta wins something,Yall get mad and question the poster.
Maybe Im not as smart as I think I am because one poster early on was asked to explain themselves and they answered""No".
At first I thought that was a little harsh but ,but it quickly became clear why they said it so succinctly.

This isnt a thread where people generally wish to learn something they didnt before.Its for some of you who clearly have some insecurities that you have to make up or comment on something ,by your own statements that show you know nothing about Atlanta other than your stereotypes and generalizations of what you think you know about the South. Instead of just saying:"yeh ,I didnt know that or yeh you are right yall just keep on and then go an attack mode.

Of all the people that have called Philly dirty and crime ridden in this thread,Ive not once said that but defended it,
Yet what is making yall mad is the fact that I said the population declined and hasnt recovered?
Again.
LOL WOW

Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Why would I have to prove something I never said?It was not I who brought up population at first.Philly posters did so once you didnt like the response now all of a sudden Im the one who said it was better.
So biased because you rather only hear good stuff while you make false statements about another city then act like you didnt just make up those statements/

More than one of you have said:
Atlanta has no film industry of consequence
Atlanta only has mainly cheap inexpensive less exclusive schools
Atlanta doesnt have more f500 companies.
The list goes on and on.Yall pivot and move on to the next subject when you are proven wrong then Im the one downing Philly? yeh right
Anyone folloing thsi thread who isnt biased can see exactly how this is going.

It takes 4 of yall to attack me when between all of yall,I am the only one who has backed up everything I have said. In fact nothing I said was bad,it was just bad to yall because you cant stand the critizism.
EVERY single time someone says Atlanta wins something,Yall get mad and question the poster.
Maybe Im not as smart as I think I am because one poster early on was asked to explain themselves and they answered""No".
At first I thought that was a little harsh but ,but it quickly became clear why they said it so succinctly.

This isnt a thread where people generally wish to learn something they didnt before.Its for some of you who clearly have some insecurities that you have to make up or comment on something ,by your own statements that show you know nothing about Atlanta other than your stereotypes and generalizations of what you think you know about the South. Instead of just saying:"yeh ,I didnt know that or yeh you are right yall just keep on and then go an attack mode.

Of all the people that have called Philly dirty and crime ridden in this thread,Ive not once said that but defended it,
Yet what is making yall mad is the fact that I said the population declined and hasnt recovered?
Again.
LOL WOW
Clever One. No one cares anymore. This comparison is being taken way too seriously. imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City