Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2.0 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame: If City Selection Were Held in 2020
Cleveland 33 37.93%
New York City 2 2.30%
Washington, DC 1 1.15%
Philadelphia 3 3.45%
Chicago 1 1.15%
Detroit 4 4.60%
LA 8 9.20%
Minneapolis 1 1.15%
Atlanta 3 3.45%
Nashville 3 3.45%
Memphis 16 18.39%
New Orleans 2 2.30%
Seattle 8 9.20%
Other City (name it) 2 2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:32 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Well Let's send them a email
You send them a email, you Memphis folks want a R&RHOF. Plus, I think it would get lost in the shuffle in Memphis because you folks and tourists already have Sun Studios, Stax Museum, Graceland and Beale Street to compete with. Share the wealth!

Same with cities like NYC, L.A., Chicago IMO, it would definitely get lost in the sauce if it was in one of those cities. Because those cities are big tourist destinations and have so many things that it may get ignored. Also, tourists would have to travel long distances to get to it. Just because something is in a big tourist attraction doesn't mean it'll attract tourists. Matter of fact, there was a Rock n' Roll Hall of Annex in NYC in the mid-2000s and it shut down after a year due to a lack of tourists. Now, this is was NYC, one of the tourist hubs, and The Annex didn't thrive there.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:17 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
I'm pretty sure it would draw as well as it does in Cleveland if it were in LA or NY because the volume of tourists in those cities dwarfs Cleveland. It's big fish in small pond or small fish in big pond, but the results are likely even.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Where is the source that the organizers said they regretted put the HOF in Cleveland? Also, where do you think they currently have the inductions? You're from Chicago so you're used to having bright, shiny things. So, why doesn't Cleveland deserve bright, shiny things?
First of all, I'm from suburban Detroit. So I'm sympathetic to Cleveland here, if anything.

There have only been three inductions held in Cleveland, they're typically held in New York. You can read about the hilarious back peddling of the remark saying they regretted it being in Cleveland here: https://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/2...s_about_1.html

Old 03-19-2020, 08:24 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
It should stay in Cleveland, but the only other city I think would be appropriate would be L.A., the entertainment capital of the world. I don't think Memphis is a good fit...it's the home of R&B along with NOLA, not RnR.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
First of all, I'm from suburban Detroit. So I'm sympathetic to Cleveland here, if anything.

There have only been three inductions held in Cleveland, they're typically held in New York. You can read about the hilarious back peddling of the remark saying they regretted it being in Cleveland here: https://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/2...s_about_1.html
Dude, you sent me the link to an article that's over 10 years old. First of all, there's been six inductions in Cleveland: 1997, 2009, 2012, 2015 and 2018 with the inductions being held in Cleveland this year. Second, the inductions are in Cleveland every other year now. It goes back and forth between Cleveland and NY every year. And, Jann Wenner had to eat his words because his dream project Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame Annex shut down after one year.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 03-19-2020 at 09:27 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It should stay in Cleveland, but the only other city I think would be appropriate would be L.A., the entertainment capital of the world. I don't think Memphis is a good fit...it's the home of R&B along with NOLA, not RnR.
I agree wholeheartedly on Memphis. I love Memphis, but the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame wouldn't work there because they have other musical institutions to work with like Stax Museum and Graceland. I think it would get lost in the sauce in Memphis. Also, in L.A. i think the Rock Hall would be just another thing. I think it would get lost because L.A. has so many music/entertainment attractions.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 03-19-2020 at 08:58 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it would draw as well as it does in Cleveland if it were in LA or NY because the volume of tourists in those cities dwarfs Cleveland. It's big fish in small pond or small fish in big pond, but the results are likely even.
The Rock Hall Annex was in New York, a very big tourist destination, and it closed after one year. How come it didn't work in a city like New York?

Old 03-19-2020, 09:29 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Wow! Shows what you Know. Hear that everybody??
Memphis and New Orleans are the home of R &B.

You pretty much lost ALL Credibility with that comment

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 03-19-2020 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Quote:

What Wait a Second. Rock and Roll Inductions are Not even Held in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?...In Cleveland?

See What a Waste MEMPHIS DOES deserve that Hall of Fame.... Memphis also has the Blues Hall of Fame and you know where the Inductions are held?? IN MEMPHIS.

Man it would have been Sweet to have Both The Blues AND The Rock HOF in One City....THANKS A LOT CLEVELAND

Old 03-20-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
What Wait a Second. Rock and Roll Inductions are Not even Held in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?...In Cleveland?

See What a Waste MEMPHIS DOES deserve that Hall of Fame.... Memphis also has the Blues Hall of Fame and you know where the Inductions are held?? IN MEMPHIS.

Man it would have been Sweet to have Both The Blues AND The Rock HOF in One City....THANKS A LOT CLEVELAND
Dude, the inductions are in Cleveland every other year now. It goes back and forth between Cleveland and NY since 2018. It used to be Cleveland, NY and L.A., but the committee eliminated L.A. and now it's just Cleveland and NY. You didn't read my response to that poster in my previous post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City