Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safest Place to be during the Corona Virus Pandemic
NorthEast 1 1.06%
SouthEast 6 6.38%
MidWest 3 3.19%
Mountain West 17 18.09%
SouthWest 8 8.51%
Pacific Northwest 1 1.06%
Great Plains 12 12.77%
Florida 1 1.06%
Texas 5 5.32%
California 1 1.06%
Canada 11 11.70%
No Where is Safe We're All Doomed!! 28 29.79%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 12:23 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

I hate to be the Negative Nelson here (or Captain Obvious, perhaps), but I think 7-figure job loss reports are inevitable at this point. 2008-09 was a rather slow descent that resulted in massive layoffs starting in January 2009. This is the world's economy crumpling right before our eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 02:59 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,341,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I hate to be the Negative Nelson here (or Captain Obvious, perhaps), but I think 7-figure job loss reports are inevitable at this point. 2008-09 was a rather slow descent that resulted in massive layoffs starting in January 2009. This is the world's economy crumpling right before our eyes.
Yep. There is absolutely no stopping it at this point. Until numbers level off in Europe and the US, the economy will continue falling, but it's fallen off a cliff very suddenly at this point. We need basically a worldwide lockdown IMO. What's the point of all these countries being on lockdowns if another country is heavily infected and doesn't control the outbreak, and then the reinfect a country like Italy all over again?

Old 03-18-2020, 03:31 PM

724 posts, read 559,641 times
Quote:
Yeah, no amount of stimulus can get people to spend money if they can't physically go spend it. But on the bright side, for everyone scared of automation, yes it still turns out you need people to go out and do things. Not nearly everything can be automated.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:44 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
ND, SD, MT, WY. Much of the northern mountain west and NW Midwest.

Oh and ME and WV.

Really though... wherever there are less people around you. However, unless you have prepared for this.... the effects of the virus will be felt EVERYWHERE.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah, no amount of stimulus can get people to spend money if they can't physically go spend it. But on the bright side, for everyone scared of automation, yes it still turns out you need people to go out and do things. Not nearly everything can be automated.
I don't even understand the point of issuing $1,000 checks. Sure, for the poorest Americans, that can make a difference, but the median rent in the U.S. (according to the Census) is $982. It makes you wonder if working out an arrangement with banks to suspend mortgages for three months would be a better use of resources.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:04 PM

724 posts, read 559,641 times
Quote:
I don't even understand the point of issuing $1,000 checks. Sure, for the poorest Americans, that can make a difference, but the median rent in the U.S. (according to the Census) is $982. It makes you wonder if working out an arrangement with banks to suspend mortgages for three months would be a better use of resources.
Yeah, I mean in many cities in the country, evictions are already been halted until the end of April, but honestly, suspending student loan payments and suspending mortgage payments (like what they did in Italy) might not only become necessary, but just common sense.

And since the interest rate is already at 0% and most likely, for the first time ever, go into negative interest, instead of bailing out businesses that can simply borrow money at dirt cheap rates to stay afloat, but that towards actual testing kits.

It's crazy how much the federal government has lagged on all this. Like they're still somewhat in a stage of denial on what this really is. This isn't like 2008-2009 at all, where that was terrible banking and economic policy. This isn't a "man made" recession. This is an act of God sort of thing. Can't stimulate an economy that doesn't currently exist if people physically can't even go outside under fear of a very real virus.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:33 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Direct stimulus payments will be on top of other measures being put in place to protect consumers, e.g., suspension of evictions, no suspension of utilities for non-payment, etc. And with all of the money being funneled to key industries, I wouldn't doubt that a suspension of mortgages and other financial obligations would also happen. I don't see it being either/or.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:27 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,998,773 times
Hot suburban cities will be the safest cities(everywhere South)
Northeast, upper Midwest, and pnw will be the least safest.

Rural will probably the safest overall

Old 03-18-2020, 07:50 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
that would be Heaven.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
Quote:
It makes you wonder if working out an arrangement with banks to suspend mortgages for three months would be a better use of resources.
But interest still accrues since it's not a payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City