Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro do you prefer?
Little Rock, AR 13 32.50%
Columbia, SC 27 67.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 08:00 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I’m no fan of Arkansas at all, but I genuinely like it better than South Carolina and believe it to have more going for it.
Like what????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 02:57 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
I would like to counter, I never been to Columbia, but I found Charleston and Myrtle Beach surprisingly pleasant. In General I like the whole South Carolina vibe (laid-back, colorful, antebellum, coastal) so perhaps I should vote for Columbia.

Little Rock on the other hand is decent for it's size and actually has. Nice Skyline for it's size, The Arkansas state capitol grounds is nice and so is the Clinton Library. Little Rock is Okay but I'm not impressed by the rest of Arkansas save maybe the hot springs area

If Columbia is anything like Charleston which I have been to than I would vote for Columbia

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 03-19-2020 at 03:43 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 03:11 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
It's a pretty big reach to say NWA overshadows Little Rock. That certainly isn't the case of Arkansans within Arkansas...

Columbia wins this, but it's close. It's not like its leaps and bounds ahead of Little Rock, but overall its trending in a higher trajectory. It's also prettier than LR, isn't quite as crime infested and has a stronger black middle class...

Most of the offerings are on the same scale, though...

Old 03-19-2020, 03:24 PM

749 posts, read 1,316,252 times
These two are quite comparable actually. Deciding factor may be location. Columbia has the better location imo, but Little Rock is no slouch.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
If Columbia is anything like Charleston which I have been to than I would vote for Columbia
Don't let a Charlestonian read this. They'd turn up their noses so fast...

That said, the two cities are quite different. Columbia is like a hybrid of Raleigh and Augusta, if you're familiar with either or both of those cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
It's a pretty big reach to say NWA overshadows Little Rock. That certainly isn't the case of Arkansans within Arkansas...
True. I think what they mean is that NWA is more of a media darling right now and it's been getting more growth and attention in recent years. It's kinda like what's happening with Greenville right now in SC as it has been getting more attention than Columbia in recent years.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:45 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Little Rock has some better hiking destinations in the area such as Pinnacle Mountain than Columbia.

Looks like it has a better developed riverfront / park area compared to Columbia for walking and the CBD is closer to the river.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:43 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So LR gets the nod for you because it's not in a state on the Eastern Seaboard? Interesting since that's the biggest factor contributing to SC's population and economic growth compared to AR. Either way, not exactly a vote of confidence for LR.
I haven't been to Columbia, but Little Rocks position at the confluence of 5 ecoregions is pretty neat, so the geography of the 2 hour driving radius around LR is much more varied. And there's more public land in AR than there is in SC.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:16 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I haven't been to Columbia, but Little Rocks position at the confluence of 5 ecoregions is pretty neat, so the geography of the 2 hour driving radius around LR is much more varied. And there's more public land in AR than there is in SC.
I agree for the most part. Little Rock takes more time to explore, and the natural surroundings are great. I think visiting Columbia might give you a better perspective though.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Columbia.

Little Rock has way too much crime for a city its size.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'd have to question that. Two hours from Columbia puts you almost at the the coast in one direction and in the foothills--almost in the mountains in the other--and Columbia itself sits in the Sandhills. LR sit at the intersection of three corollary geographic regions (Level II ecoregions) within its state also, but is nowhere near the coast which is what gives Columbia an edge there. It does seem that LR's immediate surroundings are more scenic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City