Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Local Economy is The Most Recession Resistant?
San Francisco 26 12.26%
Dallas 33 15.57%
Houston 12 5.66%
New York City 20 9.43%
Boston 22 10.38%
DC 87 41.04%
Seattle 19 8.96%
Chicago 17 8.02%
Los Angeles 6 2.83%
Miami 2 0.94%
Atlanta 12 5.66%
Austin 12 5.66%
Philadelphia 15 7.08%
Minneapolis 12 5.66%
Other 17 8.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:33 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Agree with this, but I do think there can potentially be bubbles in venture capital and/or publicly traded technology firms that could impact "tech"-heavy cities disproportionately. (See 2000).
Totally agree-but 2000 was the dot-com bust. Today tech companies are far more diversified and have actual revenue to show for it.

But your bubble point is definitely true. We rise and fall based on market volatility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 09:55 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
It should be noted that estimates show California's growth rate really slowed in the 2nd half of the 2010s, which coincides with the period in which real estate prices made a strong recovery from their Great Recession lows.

The slow down and even decline as revealed in the 2019-2010 census estimate won't be nearly enough to cancel out the growth it saw for majority of the decade, but the flattening of California's population growth is definitely real.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:33 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
None of these. To minimize the effect of economic downturns, you need to go to a government town such as Washington, DC, or Huntsville, Alabama. Because no matter what, those government workers are going to get paid.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
None of these. To minimize the effect of economic downturns, you need to go to a government town such as Washington, DC, or Huntsville, Alabama. Because no matter what, those government workers are going to get paid.
Washington, DC was a choice in the poll.

Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
obviously doctors and hospital admins are needed. next year when f.d.a. clears vaccines for use whatever corporations are involved in their fabrication stocks would go up.
whatever metro has the most m.d.'s and b.s.'s per capita will be self sufficient.
both pfizer (andover) and moderna (cambridge) were developed in boston.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:58 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,961 times
It hasn't been mentioned yet but the Raleigh-Durham area has all the right pieces for continued growth. And is why it's on the top of so many lists. Good climate, smart populous and a ultra diverse employment base. Education, Heath care, Tech, Bio-Pharma, R&D, State Government. One of the most recession proof economies in the country. it reminds me of a smaller Dallas/Fort Worth in a lot of ways just a quarter of the size.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:16 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
It hasn't been mentioned yet but the Raleigh-Durham area has all the right pieces for continued growth. And is why it's on the top of so many lists. Good climate, smart populous and a ultra diverse employment base. Education, Heath care, Tech, Bio-Pharma, R&D, State Government. One of the most recession proof economies in the country. it reminds me of a smaller Dallas/Fort Worth in a lot of ways just a quarter of the size.
Recession-resistant, maybe I can understand. But I'm not seeing how Raleigh's economy is "ultra diverse."

Health Care / Bio-Tech and Education and are strong/stable no doubt, but outside of those industries, Raleigh's showing is pretty weak.

DFW, conversely, has:

*Significant Automotive Industry (I.E. the huge GM plant in Arlington, headquarters for Toyota North America, etc.)

*Significant Defense/Aerospace Industry (I.E. the huge Lockheed Martin plant in Fort Worth and the huge L3 Harris plant in Greenville, as well as the home of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines)

*Significant Financial/Banking Industry (home to Comerica Bank, Charles Schwab, GM Financial, as well as large regional offices for GE Capital, Capitol One and Chase).

*Significant Oil/Gas industry (Home to ExxonMobil, HollyFrontier Pioneer, etc.)

*Significant Real Estate Industry (home to D.R. Horton, CBRE, leading metro area for new residential/commercial construction, etc.)

...and I could go on...

Old 12-28-2020, 12:17 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Recession-resistent, maybe I can understand. But I'm not see how Raleigh's economy is "ultra diverse."

Health Care / Bio-Tech and Education and are strong/stable no doubt, but outside of those industries, Raleigh's showing is pretty weak.

DFW, conversely, has:

*Significant Automotive Industry (I.E. the huge GM plant in Arlington, headquarters for Toyota North America, etc.)

*Significant Defense/Aerospace Industry (I.E. the huge Lockheed Martin plant in Fort Worth and the huge L3 Harris plant in Greenville, as well as the home of American Airlines and Southwest Airlines)

*Significant Financial/Banking industry (home to Comerica Bank, Charles Schwab, GM Financial, as well as large regional offices for GE Capital, Capitol One and Chase).

*Significant Oil/Gas industry (Home to ExxonMobil, HollyFrontier Pioneer,

*Significant Real Estate Industry (home to D.R. Horton, CBRE, etc.)

...and I could go on...
Not to mention Energy Transfer along with its Sunoco subsidiary.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:20 PM

9,861 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Raleigh is not nearly as dynamic or diverse as DFW. But that doesn't make it any less recession resistant. Health care, biotech, education and state government are booming right now. If it's true that these make up the vast majority of Raleigh, then that puts it in better position to survive this particular recession than a diverse economy.

Old 12-28-2020, 01:12 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Recession-resistant, maybe I can understand. But I'm not seeing how Raleigh's economy is "ultra diverse."

DFW, conversely, has:

*Significant Financial/Banking Industry (home to Comerica Bank, Charles Schwab, GM Financial, as well as large regional offices for GE Capital, Capitol One and Chase).

*Significant Oil/Gas industry (Home to ExxonMobil, HollyFrontier Pioneer, etc.)

*Significant Real Estate Industry (home to D.R. Horton, CBRE, leading metro area for new residential/commercial construction, etc.)

...and I could go on...
Depends also on what your diversity entails.

Are airlines doing well? Is oil doing well? Is GM Financial doing well? Are they even independent of GM? GE Capital? Commercial retail? This list doesn't inspire so much as highlight potential warning signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City