Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:39 PM

954 posts, read 569,961 times

Advertisements

We are comparing:

Quality of life
Culture
Economy
Weather
Food
Sports scene
Nightlife
Things to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Quality of life: Jacksonville
Culture: Seattle
Economy: Seattle
Weather: Jacksonville
Food: Seattle
Sports scene: Seattle
Nightlife: Seattle
Things to do: Seattle

I would choose Seattle.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:55 PM

747 posts, read 499,296 times
Not a fair fight. Why even compare these? Seattle wins everything except weather.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:04 PM

765 posts, read 900,203 times
Never thought I'd see this comparison. I've never been to Jacksonville, and I feel like it's a bit under the radar. Kind of curious about it.
That being said, I don''t think it's fair comparison. I think Puget Sound has much more to offer in terms of urban/ natural amenities. If someone was choosing between the two, Jacksonville would win with cost of living, sunshine, warmth, and beaches. If someone values that more than anything else, Jacksonville would probably be a better choice.
I think I've also heard that Jacksonville is pretty conservative, where Seattle is progressive. Values and politics could make someone more inclined to choose Jacksonville/ Seattle.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:22 AM

12,854 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Jacksonville vs mobile would be a better comparisonb

Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,176,759 times
imo, as a Jax booster:

Quality of life - Seattle
Culture - Seattle
Economy - Seattle
Weather - Jax
Food - Seattle
Sports scene - Seattle
Nightlife - Seattle
Things to do - Seattle

As someone above mentioned, cost and weather are the two primary advantages for Jax for most. Then depending on your personal preferences there are things like beaches, water sports, etc that may be advantageous. All things equal I'd live in Seattle. I like that city a lot.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:03 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,104,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
Not a fair fight. Why even compare these? Seattle wins everything except weather.
I'll accept this thread at face value, but sometimes you get the impression that folks use this forum to compare their city to some other mega popular "get-to" city in order to establish props for their own hometown.

"Oh Yeah, we're just like a little Seattle, or a little San Fran, or just like Austin".....except that their not.

I can't think of two cities more different than Jacksonville and Seattle.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
I'll accept this thread at face value, but sometimes you get the impression that folks use this forum to compare their city to some other mega popular "get-to" city in order to establish props for their own hometown.

"Oh Yeah, we're just like a little Seattle, or a little San Fran, or just like Austin".....except that their not.

Yep, certain cities like to say "we're the San Fran of the midwest...." no, not really. And then you have some of the Texas cities comparing themselves to LA because you know....sprawl. Yeah. Similar to sports, comparing your QB to Pat Mahomes.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:17 AM

747 posts, read 499,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post

I agree but I think it’s mostly the opposite: people wanting to feel superior and hoping to elevate their city by needlessly comparing it to a “little guy.” Then they get a raging hard-on seeing their favorite city dominating a poll chosen by the sheep of City-Data that have never been to either city but simply use popularity, name-brand, or what’s currently en vogue to make their decision. Very sad.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
I agree but I think it’s mostly the opposite: people wanting to feel superior and hoping to elevate their city by needlessly comparing it to a “little guy.” Then they get a raging hard-on seeing their favorite city dominating a poll chosen by the sheep of City-Data that have never been to either city but simply use popularity, name-brand, or what’s currently en vogue to make their decision. Very sad.
Also common, but in this case OP seems to have more southern interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City